PDA

View Full Version : do you drain gas?

olderthandirt
10-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Do you guys all drain your gas out of your trmmers blowers etc. or does any one use somrthing like Stabil and keep them filled to cut bown on condisation for the winter? Mac

walker-talker
10-27-2003, 12:27 PM
I keep mine full and use Opti-2 which has a fuel stabilizer in it. On 4 cycle equipment I fill to the top with a fuel stabilizer added and store this way.....of course after I have ran the machine in order to allow the stabilizer to work through the fuel system.

MATT

TLS
10-27-2003, 12:55 PM
I do what Walker-Talker says.

Keeping it FULL, to the VERY top. You want as much of the tank covered in gas. Any air gap and your going to get condensation forming inside your tanks. This causes water buildup.

I use Sta-bil in all, including 2 cycle.

sildoc
10-27-2003, 01:25 PM
I use all of my equipment year round. I start all if not used that week and run for 10 min or so.
I put fuel stablizer in all my cans when I fill up. I figure in one year it costs me 30 bucks or so for the fuel stabilizer but heck 30 bucks is cheap to pay for being able to start up on first pull and not having to clean the carb all the time. Draining takes to much time and you get condensation anyways.

Jimbo
10-27-2003, 01:56 PM
I use Stabil in all my equipment... even the 2 cycle Stihl equipment (although the Stihl oil says it has it in there already).

Jimbo

CamLand
10-27-2003, 02:27 PM
i use stabil in all equipment also in my snowthrowers,never no how long they have to sit...

locutus
10-27-2003, 03:11 PM
I use sabilizer and have never had a problem due to stale fuel or condensation. I also never really bother to keep everything full.

olderthandirt
10-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Thank guys
I had to have a gas filter replaced the one that sit down in the tank becouse it was all gummy kinda looked melted this was on a shin trimmer. The fuel was in the tank for 2 yrs, I don't use it except for back up and my dealer told me I should always drain if I'm gonna store for more than 6 wks. 6 month maybe but even I'm not dumb enough to believe 6 wks. I plan on topping off all tanks and adding stabil and maybe a new dealer with less bull
Thanks again Mac

G-father
10-28-2003, 01:52 AM
Wait just a min.

I would agree with your dealer. I always drain my equiptment and run them dry when I store them for the winter. This is what I do to ALL of my small engines.

Put stabilizer in the fuel, some oil has it mixed in.

Run the machine for at least 10-15 min.

Dump out all the gas.

Start and run the engine at fast idle.

When the engine dies let it cool.

Take out sparkplug

Spray in fogging oil (you can also spray some into the carb intake when the engine is running out of gas to lube the lower bearings)

Put used spark plug back in (after you start it next year put in a new spark plug)

Pull the start cord until you meet some resistance (with some compression moisture will be less likely to find its way into your cylinder.

barnard
10-28-2003, 01:59 AM
Any thing to be started next 5 months. Full fuel tank only. No extra measures necessary. Over six months storage- fuel stabilizer recommended. Standby generator - not started for several months or years. . Drain all fuel run until engine dies. Run annually.

barnard
10-28-2003, 02:01 AM
G-Father - I've had lots of wine tonight. I'm Going to bed.

Richard Martin
10-28-2003, 06:50 AM
All of my big mowers get run regularly over the winter and are kept inside a heated area. I do put fuel stabilizer in them though because of MTBE gas that does go bad very quickly. I have seen MTBE gas go bad in 3 months.

My small 6.5 horse mower and all of my 2 stroke equipment get fuel stabilizer and a cap-full of fuel injector cleaner each. I then run them for 15 minutes to make sure the stabilizer and cleaner are in the carbs. Then the fuel is drained out and the engine is run till it's out of gas. Then replace the plugs, air filters and spray a little oil in the plug hole. Pull them over a couple of times and hang them on the wall till spring.

MOW ED
10-28-2003, 08:47 AM
I use Stabil and I also use Fogging oil to fog the engines out at the end of the season. I don't fog the EFI but squirt a little fogging oil in each spark plug hole.

G-father
10-28-2003, 10:47 AM
MOW ED - you might want to take your o2 sensor out of the exhust when you start it up in the spring. The extra oil rolling through the exhust might clog it up faster.

TLS
10-28-2003, 11:59 AM
What exactly is meant by "Fogging Oil"?

Is that the name brand?

Blades of Steel
10-28-2003, 01:03 PM
I use Echo 2 cycle oil. It has fuel stabilizers in it, so I don't drain anything. They fire right up every season.

olderthandirt
10-28-2003, 02:51 PM
tlc
fogging oil is pretty much just WD40 in a spray can [boy I'm gonna hear it now" You can buy it at marine supply dealers I used it on my outbourds all the time. So you guys fog when its only gonna down for 4-5 months?

Remsen1
10-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Keep full with Stabil and fog. Keeping more gas in, keeps more air out, air has moisture, moisture condenses and forms water. I also get my rubber off the ground, grease all fittings, spray a fine coat of oil on the under carriage. Bring the batteries into a heated area (any area that will be kept above freezing). Put steel wool in your muffler to keep mice from making a nest, check air filters for this in the spring.

Richard Martin
10-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Remsen1 wrote:

Keeping more gas in, keeps more air out, air has moisture, moisture condenses and forms water.

You may want to check and see if your fuel has MTBE in it. Since MTBE is extremely hydroscopic you are in fact inviting a water problem by filling your tanks with gas. The MTBE will suck the moisture out of the air right through the gas tank vents.

Moisture condensation inside a gas tank is only a problem if there is gas in the tank.

Remsen1
10-28-2003, 06:15 PM
I will check that. Do I have to worry if I use stabil, which is a fuel dryer?

bob
10-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
use somrthing like Stabil and keep them filled to cut bown on condisation for the winter?

Thats exactly what I do.

lawnworker
10-29-2003, 08:28 AM
I run the equipment once a month are so. Also, you can add a little gas every now and then. Draining the tank dry does not sound to good to me. It just seems if your carb had rubber seals they would dry out. Maybe? anyhow in 12 years I have had no problems in the spring.

LawnMower
10-29-2003, 12:39 PM
I'm bad, I don't do anything. But all my stuff seems to start fine at the beginning of the next year

I have a buddy of mine shut all his stuff off by shutting the gas off to the carburetor. After the engine stalls he shuts off the ignition.

Come to think of it, all his stuff is old farm tractors.

Hes the same guy that puts lead in all his gas, including the 2 cycle engines.

G-father
10-29-2003, 02:39 PM
LawnMower - I think what you are saying is people who keep equiptment working for 30, 40 even 50 years have found it is advantageous to run their engines dry when they store it.

You have posted a few times now that your buddy runs lead in his fuel. The reason he does this is to keep his engines running cool. This is fine for older engines that were designed for leaded fuel. However, I do not think this is a good idea for low performance (recently made) engines like lawn equiptment. I think he would be fine with 2 stroke stuff but not with new 4 stroke engines.