PDA

View Full Version : Another Leaf Box Question

mtdman
10-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Yep, I'm too lazy to do the search. How high is everyone's boxes, on average? I'm putting mine on the trailer, and having problems with this stupid extra tall lw loader. I might have to make the box 9ft tall, from the ground. I don't want to do that. Is that too tall?

My other option is to wheel the thing off the trailer (I put it on wheels) and have it on the ground, which would reach the top on my box as it is now. That's about 6ft high. I'd much rather do that, but then I've got to roll the thing on and off the trailer all the time.

I can't believe how tall this stupid chute is on this thing.

:mad:

walker-talker
10-27-2003, 08:55 PM
From the ground to the top of the box is 10'6". The box alone is 6' tall. I have to be real careful doing leaf cleanups in one particular housing community.....it has a small bridge with an awning of 9ft.

TRex
10-27-2003, 09:03 PM
I would think taller would be better for more volume. If you are worried about the wind resistance try cutting the additional footage at 45* angle, so that it helps it roll over the box. Or you could use some galvinized sheetmetal and cut a quarter circle on the side peices and roll it over to be more like a enclosed trailer.

wriken
10-27-2003, 09:21 PM
used 4x8' wolmanized plywood. so its probably around 6'tall and alittle over 8' long

Tvov
10-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Find out the height of the lowest bridge in your area, and make it at least 6" lower (just to be on the safe side). Our box is somewhere around 9'6" from the ground. We've never had any problem with wind resistance ('87 F-350HD dually).

If your chute is high, can't you just cut it down a bit?

LB Landscaping
10-27-2003, 09:23 PM
I did the same thing as wriken except in my dump body truck. About 6 1/2 feet high.

LawnCrafters
10-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Ours is about 6.5' inside height and about 9.5'-10' from the ground. No clearance problems and it's nice to be able to stand up inside without having to duck, if needed. It's on a F450 dump.

FrankenScagMachines
10-27-2003, 11:59 PM
4' high off of the bed, good height just clears some awnings. W/o box got 12mpg average, now about 8 average with box :( box is 2' higher than top of cab.

Boycea
10-28-2003, 01:35 AM
My leaf box from the ground to the top measures 10' 7", and holds roughly 16 yards. I am no longer able to go through the bank drive through or Dunkin Donuts in the morning. I also have to watch out on streets with low branches. It hasn't been too much of a problem though yet.

Adam

Team Gopher
10-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Here is a nice setup I found. Click image for link.

http://www.aquidneckmachine.com/images/TruckLoader.jpg (http://www.aquidneckmachine.com/CurrentFeature.asp)

walker-talker
10-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Reguarding that pic that the gopher posted......I don't see that being a good idea. How many times do you have to jerk the truck around when you go to dump the debris. Sometimes I really have to give her hell.....pop the clutch then hard on the brakes. Man that tailgate with the loader attatched would be slamming up against the bed....couldn't be good.