PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat New to the biz

Bama_66
10-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Just signed up today and have been looking around and reading. There are a lot knowledgeable people here. I hope to gain some of that and use in my business.
I am a ONE-MAN operation. I have about (9) accounts all residential. I am hoping to grow and even expand. I am in my second season here in Texas.
I look forward to checking this site out daily.
Anyone know any good inexpensive lawn service software available?:)

pinnacle
10-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Welcome to LS Bama!!

Hope Lawn Site provides you with what your looking for.(I'm sur it will!)

Gopher and Clip are two good programs....................Not too sure about the cost but from what I've read, there both excellant.

Go to the search option at the bottom of the page and have a look for info on software.
The search option is a very good resorce.

See ya around mate.

GardenTech
10-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Don't go too crazy with the software just yet ( expense )...you probably don't need it..as your biz grows, expand in small stages...we've all seen cases where new LCOs get all caught up in their Credit Lines, buy all kinds of STUFF they don't need, and have Grand Going Out of Business Sales when their Customer base doesn't expand accordingly...Cheers!

AztlanLC
10-29-2003, 08:55 PM
This is your second season so I'm pretty sure you know what you got yourself into, I'm more of a risk taker all the time if I see somethig I'll be using in the future I force myself to buy it, most of the times I make sure I have a plan B just in case, like gardentech said Quote "we've all seen cases where new LCOs get all caught up in their Credit Lines, buy all kinds of STUFF they don't need, and have Grand Going Out of Business Sales when their Customer base doesn't expand accordingly" but there quite some that took the risk and brough their business to the next level.
Besides $500 is not going to break your bank account, I wish I would've buy my program years ago, its much easier to learn a program with a small amount of customers.
My recomendation to you would be gopher basic $299, it does a pretty decent job for the price, you can fully try it for 30 days also, and you have the option to upgrade the program in the future according to your needs, about $500 more for the pro version.
You can also try all the other programs out there, I did and this is the one best suited my needs.

gogetter
10-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Gotta say I disagree with Aztlanc on this one.
For the number of customers you have all you need is a cheap program from Staples or OfficeMax. I use "Estimates & Invoices". I think I paid like $29-39 bucks for it. It does everything I need for now.

$500 may not break your bank right now, but it would sure buy you some decent advertising so you can grow, or maybe some smaller tools/equipment. Or use it to get uniforms for a professional image.

Bama_66
10-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks Aztlanc, I have already downloaded Gopher and I am going to try it for a while.
I believe I will take the advice gogetter, and try to start out as low as my bank account will allow.
Any ideas on how to compete with the larger companies on residential lawns? I never saw as many trailers with lawn equipment on them untill I started in the business.
I feel as though I may be a little too ambitious in wanting to grow at this point. I have been working for the sam company for 14 years and would love to not have to answer to anyone but myself and Uncle Sam. (in that order!)

AztlanLC
10-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Like I said it I'm a risk taker.
I don't go to vegas so I bet on my company.

Team Gopher
10-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi Bama_66,

I hope we can help you :)