PDA

View Full Version : what would be a good give away

Ron Greenwood Jr
10-28-2003, 02:51 AM
Last year I gave one free mowing to all new customers not to great of an idea that really adds up , But this seemed to bring a lot of customers my way. This year I dont think that I will be going that extream. I was thinking of giving free gas cards to all new contracts but the thing is I cant decide the $ amount $10,$15,$20
what do you think a good appeling number to customers,if any at all.

HighGrass
10-28-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Ron Greenwood Jr
Last year I gave one free mowing to all new customers not to great of an idea that really adds up , But this seemed to bring a lot of customers my way. This year I dont think that I will be going that extream. I was thinking of giving free gas cards to all new contracts but the thing is I cant decide the $ amount $10,$15,$20
what do you think a good appeling number to customers,if any at all.

I have to be honest here. If you are thinking about giving something away like that it's because competition is really tight, or you have way to much money!:D
If I gave away 20 bucks to every new customer I got this year, that adds up to $520! People know that there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want to give them something give them certificate for a free mowing for every referral they give you.
Now that's a "Thank You" they'll appreciate!payup

Turf
10-28-2003, 03:10 AM
I agree with highgrass but only a free cut if the referral becomes a new season long customer. Otherwise I will give you a list of names and you can cut my lawn all next year. (just kidding)

HighGrass
10-28-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Turf
I agree with highgrass but only a free cut if the referral becomes a new season long customer. Otherwise I will give you a list of names and you can cut my lawn all next year. (just kidding)

ABSOLUTELY!

Ron Greenwood Jr
10-28-2003, 03:18 AM
If each customer brings you over a $1000 a year it would not hurt most business to give away $10 dollars of that money.considering that $10 most likly got you that customer,and if they knew someone looking for a lawn care company they might say to them they do a great job and they give you a bonus when you sighn up.

Ron Greenwood Jr
10-28-2003, 03:23 AM
if you wanted to you could put the cost of the card into there contract people just like free things and if you figured it in wouldent even be free it would just look that way

Ron Greenwood Jr
10-28-2003, 03:34 AM
if you think $520 is alot of mony to give out think how much money in free hamburgars mcdonalds gives out. They do it for a reason give a 99 cent hamburger knowing you are most likly going to buy a drink fries with that too oh yea your kids or in the backround saying they want somthing to.

Ron Greenwood Jr
10-28-2003, 03:36 AM
wow after looking at that last one I fell like I should be in a spelling bee lol

Ron Greenwood Jr
10-28-2003, 03:42 AM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Team Gopher
10-28-2003, 09:06 AM
Hi Ron,

Did you see this post?

How do you reward/thank your clients (http://server2.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52720)

Gene $immons
10-28-2003, 09:55 AM
I gave away a free trip for two to Las Vegas which included airfare and 3 nights at MGM Grand.

I gave it to my best customer. He has helped me land more properties than I can count.

Funny thing is, I already had the trip for free (another story, wife actually won it, and we couldnt sell or use it)

But he don't know that.

He was so happy. I wonder how many contracts he will get me now?

Wells
10-28-2003, 10:21 AM
I have to agree with Ron Greenwood on this one. Giving back to you clients is a good idiea.
It gives your client the perception that your not just out there to squeeze all you can out of them.
Typically it doesn't you cost much give back to the client now and then.
I generally will give my residential clients movie tickets at the end of the mowing season with 5 or 6 business cards and a thank you letter. If they distribute those cards and it brings in just one more client next year then the price of the tickets were a small price to pay.
With my commercial clients I typically send Crispy Cream donoughts to their business with a half dozen business cards several times a year. Again a small price to pay for free advertising.

DennisF
10-28-2003, 12:47 PM
At Christmas I give my customers a coffee mug with my company name and phone number on them along with a nice card. I also give my new customers a ball point pen with my name and number with their first billing. Small inexpensive tokens seem to payback many times over.

HighGrass
10-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by DennisF
At Christmas I give my customers a coffee mug with my company name and phone number on them along with a nice card. I also give my new customers a ball point pen with my name and number with their first billing. Small inexpensive tokens seem to payback many times over.

That sounds more like it:blob3:

Blades of Steel
10-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Do you get those cups done locally or do you use a web company? I would like to try something like that.

dvmcmrhp52
10-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Free spring fertilization. Gives them an incentive to continue service, and it doesn't cost me near what the value is to them when they have to pay for it.just my 2 cents.

KenH
10-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Might be better to give them free winterizer if they stayed with you all season.

GardenTech
10-28-2003, 06:29 PM
What we've done the last 5-6 seasons ( and will do this year) is if a customer's refered us to another person ( and we get the account), I go to my local Nursery towards the end of the season, see what they're closing out (plant material) and present it to the referer with a thank you note. More often than not, we end up getting payed to plant the item!
I understand what you're trying to do with with the free mowings/gas cards, but let your customers do the refering work for you.

Ron Greenwood Jr
10-28-2003, 07:00 PM
highgrass you say that is more like it well don't you think it would cost around the same amount to give a customer a coffee mug and a card, Another thing is people did not know they were going to get that at the end of year. I think if there was two companies who provide great service one offers a free gas card the other offers nothing which would you choose.

Green in Idaho
10-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Little landscape rocks that they can eat.... ;-)

Here's where I do my Christmas shopping for people who enjoy the outdoors & the national parks
www.parkheadquarters.com

Wells
10-28-2003, 09:00 PM
For good promotional gift ideas try
www.promohut.com
They will add your business info to all kinds of items:
Pens, note pads, magnets, mugs, calendars, etc.
They do holiday cards as well.
Just a suggestion.

dvmcmrhp52
10-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Green in Idaho,
That's pretty cool!

Kransco
10-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Thank you all for the great ideas !
Kransco

Green in Idaho
10-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Yeah, they are awesome. They look exactly like little rocks. I think they are made in Spain. But they taste just like M&Ms about same size too a few a little bigger.

I've handed several out at gifts to people I know who fish/raft/kayak. A unique gift esp for landscape types...

I want to 'connect' with a stone supplier in town, so I'm gonna drop off one of those with my card. :)

lawnman_scott
10-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Ron Greenwood Jr
if you think $520 is alot of mony to give out think how much money in free hamburgars mcdonalds gives out. They do it for a reason give a 99 cent hamburger knowing you are most likly going to buy a drink fries with that too oh yea your kids or in the backround saying they want somthing to.

Mcdonalds is a worldwide company, and their new motto is "got a buck, your in luck". I dont have their money, and i dont advertize myself as cheap, or affordable. I guess it wont kill you, but i dont think it will help you either. On the other hand you can take the gas off your taxes.