PDA

View Full Version : 25 kohler command major problem help

Turf
10-28-2003, 03:01 AM
My kohler 25 command on my ZTR 1999 with 250 hours went from the usual noisy valves to a internal chattering that killed the engine after 15 min of use yesterday. air cleaner good - oil level just below full. Where do I start. I tryed starting it and engine turns but doesnt start. I then turned fly wheel and heard a faint sound of what sounded like a broken part inside engine. I took valve cover off and valve lifters went up and down on both sides. Of coarse busy time of year. What do I do next? Not fun pushing a dead hydro system even after dumping relief valve on hydralics.:angry:

Richard Martin
10-28-2003, 06:38 AM
Start with the basics. Does it have spark? Is the air filter clean? How about the gas? Get a compression gauge. Each cylinder should have better than 150 psi. Did you try putting a small amount of gas in the carb? Since you had the valve covers off did you check to see if any of the pushrods were loose? Just because they moving that doesn't mean they're not loose. Bring the number 1 piston up to top dead center and see if all of the valves are closed. Buy a Kohler 25 hp service manual.

cajuncutter
10-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I have a Command 22. My engine sometimes would clatter really bad. Like I had a collapsed lifter. Come to find out it was the carb. Dang I can not remember exactly what the part is called. I was talking to this 75 year old guy that sold out his small engine biz, I told him the problem I was having. He shot off immediately what the problem was. Just so happened I had already ordered a new carb a couple of days before and sure enough when we put it on no more clatter. Although one day it did start up again and I freaked out. I was a little pissed. It would not start back up after it died. I cranked and cranked and then my worker came up to me and said "I think your out of gas", he was right:o . Anyway when the Kohler starts to starve for fuel it clatters really bad, at least mine did. You may want to check that out.

cajuncutter
10-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Just want to add, symptoms are loud clattering, loss of power (seems when I would disengage the blades that mower would start to run a little better but would take a minute or two to clear up)
I notice this is on a hydro walkbehind. Make sure you did not hit the fuel valve at the tank. You may have it barely cracked open or shut off. Just some suggestions.

cajuncutter
10-28-2003, 09:16 AM
It just hit me while I was in the shower. I think it was the accelerator pump. Call your local dealer that has a mechanic with experience with Kohler's and ask about it. Hope this helped. Oh the cost of the carb was suprisingly cheap. At least for the 22 it was like 100 bucks, maybe less. That is complete not a kit.
Caj

joeboy4
10-28-2003, 10:49 AM
I have a Kohler command 23 just had air intake on the carb replaced. It was a factory recall. My exmark lazar z had 50 hours on it. The in take was cut out like a half moon shape new intake is more like a full moon. my symptoms were loss of power, back fire, black smoke. Hope this helps.

battags
10-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Wow! I could have written all the same things about my Kohler Command 20hp. It started with an occasional backfire. I started letting it cool down at idle speed longer before shutting it off and that stopped the backfire problem.

I then noticed the loud clattering (Like a playing card in you bicycle wheel spokes) and a loss of power. The loss of power is pretty consistant: slow speed. But the clattering comes and goes at various times. I only have two weeks, max, of cutting to do and it goes into the dealer while its still under warranty.

B

subdube
10-29-2003, 12:20 PM
I'm having problem out of my 15hp Kohler. It is 3 months old and now have a blown head gasket. Luckily it is under warranty.

General Grounds
10-29-2003, 06:53 PM
:blob3: Turf, if you have access to a "leak down" tester that would help with the engine problem and tell you what if any interenal damage has been done. this tester is sold by kohloer dealers and could be used on all motors, it basically a gauge which uses compressed air and with the piston at top dead center you apply the air and if air is escaping from variuos parts of the motor you would look up on a chart and that would tell you the problem and remedy if any.

when you crank the engine does it crank quicker than normal, if so the is a gear pressed onto the crank and that sometimes breaks free, which also damged the inside of the motor.

you should try changing the oil and see if any parts come out with the oil.

hope this helps a bit. tony

Likestomow
10-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Sounds to me like your Stator and Flywheel pooped out.

Are there little bits and pieces of magnets anywhere? If so, pull the flywheel and take a look.

Be sure to let us know what you find the actual problem to be.

Alan Bechard
10-29-2003, 11:35 PM
My experience with my 22 and 23 horse Kohlers (I think they are similar) is to pull the plug and watch the top of the piston and make sure it is traveling up and down.

I was amazed at how well it ran on one cylinder.

Happened twice that we sheared a rod on that machine, then they said I must have run it out of oil!

I wonder why there are now Kawasaki engines on my other mowers?

e-mail me direct if you have a question for me, I am seldom on these forums.

Turf
10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Guys I rely appreciate your help this is the weekend to really check it out. I'll pull the spark plugs out and see if the pistons move up and down. The engine turned but with to much ease like loss of compression but never started. I had a kohler 18 that ran but when I engaged the deck the engine died. turned out I had one dead piston that was enough to run the wheels but not the deck (not enough POWER). So here I go again.