PDA

View Full Version : Dumping on Your Land

Gene $immons
10-28-2003, 10:10 AM
I have been dumping grass and leaves on a 5 acre piece of land for around 3 years.

I am starting to run out of room.

I need a bulldozer, for real.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Runner
10-28-2003, 10:15 AM
If at all possible, do it in cycles. In other words, always rotate to different areas, so you can keep the height down. The more you can spread it out, the faster it decomposes.

walker-talker
10-28-2003, 10:22 AM
I have about the same size of area and dump there also. I spread mine out within a week after it has been dumped. It's not a massive about....maybe a half of truck bed full every 3 weeks or so.

maple city
10-28-2003, 10:23 AM
Are you allowed to burn in your area? We dump on my father-in-law's land and we burn it. He had a hige pit dug so when you burn it won't get out of control.

John Gamba
10-28-2003, 10:26 AM
If You can put it in rows and mix it then sell it or give it away as mulch.
John.
You can pick up a loader tractor cheap.

John Gamba
10-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Sorry Compost

Gene $immons
10-28-2003, 11:16 AM
The places that I have dumped on cant support the 1 ton. It gets stuck. I was thinking about hiring out someone with a big piece of equiptment to compact the area, and push some of the stuff around.

It really stinks, even in the winter, when it gets stirred up. A bobcat won't work I'm afraid.

Another problem is that large piles of tree and branches are mixed in with all of the clippings and leaves.

Albemarle Lawn
10-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Don't poop in camp,

or don't poop where you eat.

or don't poop where you live?

Something like that. Anyway, now you have pooped up your camp and it isn't very pleasant.

I have a Cat 247 Multi-terrain loader. It has rubber tracks. Its like a skidsteer but its also like a little bulldozer...it really pushes and crawls over stuff a skidsteer can't touch.

If you get a rubber track machine and a chipper, you can manage your land resource much better.

KB

olderthandirt
10-28-2003, 03:01 PM
5 acres? how high you piling the stuff? I can't imagine running out of room in 3 yrs! We just dug a 3 1/2 acre lake and spread the dirt around the hole, the area is about 5 acres and I dont think we raised the original level of the soil more than 1-2 ft. If your generating that much clippings and leaves, sell the land and just buy another 5 and start over.

NCSULandscaper
10-28-2003, 03:10 PM
We have around 5 acres as well and seperate wastes to clippings, leaves and branches and trees in a seperate area and burn the branch/tree pile every month. The other pile is kept turned all the time and used for compost.

Remsen1
10-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Spread it out with a bulldozer. For future reference don't make big piles. Then if you need you can have a farmer go over it with a set of field discs.

lawnagent
10-28-2003, 07:41 PM
I was thinkin like olderthandirt. How much stuff have you been bringing in anyway?:dizzy: Have you been bagging every single clipping on every single yard? Geeez! It sounds as if a heavy piece of machinery is your only hope now.

Green in Idaho
10-28-2003, 08:16 PM
I had guy come up to me and offer permission to dump on a particular empy lot in town. For a price of course!

It was really EMPTY and BIG. Kinda like a large parcel to turn into a shopping mall some day.... It was behind some trees and away from residences.... a perfect spot to 'compost' grass clippings and for an owner to make $ on empty land.

So I thought, "great! shorter distance to dump." I paid him, and got a receipt for it. I was noticing other people were dumping there too so i was not the only one participating in this guy's deal to make money on 'his land'.

You guessed it... about two months later police show up on my door in the evening to ask about my evening dumping. The owner was a little perturbed..... :angry: The REAL owner!

I showed police my reciept and told him about the situation... Obviously I had been taken, but it was still a lucrative deal for me while it lasted. Not sure of the outcome. Never heard anything more, and that lot is STILL empty 7 years later. But I'm sure it has some excellent compost in one corner of it. :D

Gene $immons
10-28-2003, 08:29 PM
We bag close to 100%

Here in Okla. Bermuda grass looks crappy if you don't bag it.

Pecker
10-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Don't bury those limbs and branches. Years after they have been covered by dirt and the dirt has settled, the limbs and branches decompose and create a pit. The careless, sintgy builders of my house did that when they cleared the lot. Ten years later it took 32 yards of dirt to fill it in.