PDA

View Full Version : Another Mag9000 Question

Jimbo
10-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Hello,

I purchased the MAG9000 earlier this year and I am pleased but not completely. I am having problems keeping the blades flat on the work surface during sharpening.
As I first pull the blade from the center hole outward everything is ok, but when I reach the point where the blade lift occurs there is less flat blade surface to help me keep the blade flat, and my angle is less than perfect.

It seems that if the sharpening surface were a bit larger it would help immensly with this problem. Is there a larger/ longer platform available? Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks
Jimbo

Jimbo
10-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Heeellloooooooo, Heeellloooo. I think there is a bad echo in here.

Magna-Matic
10-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Hello Jimbo,

I don't know what the echo comment is refering to, i have just recieved notice of this post today 10-29 1:32 pm CST (the lawnsite.com servers could have been slow to send the email notifications to me that you posted, i don't know.)

Now for your question.

For me to better understand what you mean, would you like the worktable to become larger on the left side (your left when standing in front of the grinding wheel?)

OR - do you want the worktable to increase in size towards you?

Aside from a larger worktable one other possiblity that may be occuring is that the blade you are trying to sharpen is no longer "sharpen-able".

The TIP of the blade (the most important component) is made up of THREE planes or surfaces.

1. The flat underside of the blade
2. The outer end of the blade
3. The edge-face (angled part-which you grind)

These THREE surfaces create the TIP of the blade - if any of these surfaces are not complete, the blade will not properly function.

Now what does this all mean to you, and your question?

My possible guess is that the blade is all worn out and you are begining to sharpen into the begining of the LIFT, in other words there is no more flat underside of the blade. Thus preventing the blade from laying flat on the worktable; allowing you to produce a proper angle.

Now aside from that possiblity - we have heard of/seen some blades that while they have flat cutting edge there will be a TWIST between the center mounting hole and the begining of the inner edge. This can cause problems for the MAG-9000 to a point, but then people are generally looking to make the worktable smaller not larger.

Please let me know if you can provide me with some more info, or even digital pictures to better solve the problem you are having.

(no at this time we do not make any other size worktables.)

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
10-29-2003, 03:51 PM
What kind of blades are they Jimbo?

Thank you,

Jimbo
10-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the reply,

The Blades are an aftermarket high lift blade (18"). I get them from my dealer and I dont know the actual Manufacturer. However I have the same problems with the factory Scag blades as well.

The problem is not that they are worn. Most of these blades are being sharpened for the first time.

The problem could be due to the twist where the "lift" area curves upward and the small surface that is left to guide the blade.

If your in position to sharpen the blade (facing the round portion of the wheel) the table would need to extend toward the operator. With a High-lift blade there is a portion of the blade which is only about 1.5" wide and you are trying to hold the blade flat on a work surface that only supports about 1/8 of the blades length. How can it not be difficult to keep the blade level while sharpening??

It doesnt sound like there is anything you can do for me, but if it will help improve the product I will take photos of what I am writing about. I cant believe people actually want the work surface to be smaller....makes no sense to me.

Jim

lazer 46
10-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Jimbo,

I know exactly what you mean. More of the blade is suspended in air than lays flat on the table. To hold the blade flat on the table you would have to get your hand a little bit closer to the wheel than I prefer.

Jimbo
10-31-2003, 04:48 AM
Here are some photos. The first is a blade on the 9000 showing the small area of supported blade when you reach the tip. I keep blaming the blade because of the twist on the high lift, but I really think the platform is just too small for any blade. It does work but could be alot more user friendly and require much less operator effort to keep the blade flat on both planes.

You be the judge.

Jimbo
10-31-2003, 04:58 AM
The second image is the same photo but I added a white line which extends from the current platform showing the size that I think the platform should have been (based on an 18" blade). You can see how the platform extends out to the center of the blade even as you are working on the very tip. This provides a very solid surface and would eliminate any chances of the blade being out of proper position.
I dont see how this size platform would cause anyone a problem?

At the least I think it should be sold as an option.

Thanks
Jim

P.S. The arrows (although not the best) are there to represent where the blade tends to be off plane due to the small platform. The arrows that are curved near the wheel represent how a high lift blade (with narrow bottom) can tilt and the angle can suffer.
The arrows which are facing up and down represent how any blade style can be off plane when you are sharpening near the tip (again due to the small platform).

Jimbo
10-31-2003, 05:06 AM
I almost forgot. The blade shown is a Medium lift blade. The High lifts are much thinner where the lift occurs.

Jim

Magna-Matic
10-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Hello Jimbo,

Thank you very much for the photos, man, don't you just love the internet.

Ok, after reviewing this info, and having my engineers look at it, we are seriously considering an (optional / accessory) worktable that could be purchased seperatly.

The reason for wanting a smaller worktable as i spoke of earlier, is that some blades have a step-up bend between the mounting hole and begining of the inner edge, and a larger worktable would prevent these people from sharpening the full edge.

So the best solution is to have (2) worktables for both types of user.

I do not have a specific date/schedule yet for this accessory part, but we will be researching the costs and a design during this winter, to hopefully have something by the spring for release.

Thank you again, and i think we can find an easier solution for you and other high-lift blade users.

Jimbo
10-31-2003, 05:27 PM
Magna-Matic,

Thanks for considering an optional platform. If you need someone to demo one, and provide feedback please let me know. I would even be willing to purchase the demo unit.

I sure hope you do follow through with it, as I know many people which use these blades and it will definately make a difference.

Thanks
Jim

greasy_gun
10-31-2003, 09:27 PM
Jimbo

i have been experiencing the exact problem with my mag 9000.

i would also be willing to demo/purchase the prototype.

thanks for your heads up to Gerd.

lazer 46
10-31-2003, 09:55 PM
The mag 9000 beats anything I've ever used to sharpen blades. Having the majority of the blade remain on a flat surface can only make it better. I'd be interested in a larger platform.

Jet Mech
11-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Gerd,

I too would be interested in an extension platform for my Magna-Matic 9000. Based off of the current Magna-Matic 9000 design, a modified base would appear to be easy to retrofit to the current base mounts. It would definatly support an additional 3-4 inches of Lexan base material. Given the stout nature of the Magna-Matic's housing, I would guess you could mount a diving board sized run-out table off the existing mount points. (I guess that might be a little excessive?) Just applauding the overall design and workmanship of the original Magna-Matic products. Thanks for considering the optional platform disign.

Jimbo
11-03-2003, 06:06 AM
I am sure the engineers at Magna-Matic are more than capable of designing a decent extension platform. If the current "plastic" material is too soft they could always use a thinner piece of "plastic" and put an 1/8" steel plate under it.

Jimbo

Magna-Matic
11-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Hello All,

Due to the quick response of a few ppl who expressed the need of a larger worktable, we have begun prototyping one.

We hope to be able to bring it "to market" in 2-3 weeks.

We are already looking at 2-3 different design possiblities.

Thank you again for the feedback, and request for this accessory.

I will keep you posted here on its development.

Thank you,

lazer 46
11-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Gerd,

Too bad the government didn't operate like your company!

Magna-Matic
11-03-2003, 04:27 PM
LOL >>>>

Ok, i don't really have a response; but to laugh a little, and thank you for the complement.

Take Care

greasy_gun
11-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Thank You for quick response time :)

Magna-Matic
12-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Hello All,

Well we have completed the new work table and will soon have it ready for sale on our website. Photographs and explainatory CAD drawings are being produced for website info.

I will make a post here and provide a link when they are on sale in the online store.

Thank you,

Jimbo
12-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Any idea of cost?

Magna-Matic
12-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Hello Jimbo,

I will be posting all the details soon, please check your private messaging in lawnsite - i've sent you a message.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic
12-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Hello All,

I am happy to announce the introduction of a new product, developed with the suggestions from Lawnsite.com members.

Click on the link below for the preliminary information on the 9000-38RP - more will be added soon.

http://www.magna-matic.com/accessories/9000-38RP/index.html

Thank you,

Jimbo
12-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Gerd- I sent you a PM last week. Not sure if you got it so I am posting here.

Jimbo

Jimbo
12-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Hello Gerd,

I received the work table on Wednesday and I installed it last night. Fit is perfect, and you could probably sell it without the hardware if you wanted to save a few penny's. However, it never hurts to have extra hardware so it might be best to just include it in case someone has grindings in the screw heads.
In my opinion I would use one self-locking nut (with nylon insert) instead of the current jam nut design. Its no big deal either way but it would be easier to install one self-locking nut at the factory and in the field vs wrenching two nuts together.

I sharpened a few blades last night and I had complete control over the sharpening process. I didn't feel like I had to hold the blade in 2 different positions. The edge was better than anything I have been able to produce in the past!!!. Its wonderful!

The only problem was that I noticed some vibration which I didn't notice before. If this vibration is due to the longer platform it must be that the longer length enhances vibration which is already present. I can live with the vibration, but I might try to find a way and solve it. I can switch back to the old platform to see if it goes away, and if it does then I will know for sure that its due to the longer platform. If it is the new platform I can put a piece of rubber near the end of the longer platform to see if it takes the vibration away. Have you noticed any extra vibration?

It is enough vibration to make the blade vibrate off the platform in a few second if you were not holding it. Is that normal?

I will keep you updated.

Thanks
Jim

Magna-Matic
12-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Hello Jimbo,

Thank you for the info!!

The matter of the hardware is for this reason:

Nylock nuts are MEANT to be ONE TIME USE, and since this is a replacable/removable part a nylock would be the wrong hardware choice.

While we do usually give new hardware with the replacment worktables - in a standard MAG-9000 there are 2 work tables stacked, so when people go to use the onboard replacement they would have to take off the nylock nuts, and put them back on after the switch. This is why we use the 2 jam nuts.

The matter of vibration is due to your wheel being slightly out of round. This is what causes the vibration, the longer work table may only make it more noticable. The out of round condition is caused most often by uneven grinding motion. You can dress or true your wheel by very solidly grinding against it with an old blade in a very smooth motion. Try to get a very even stream of sparks when you go back as well as fourth. Oh, and when doing this use an old blade, and sharpen the square part, not the edge so you are grinding on a flat/new surface. When dressing the wheel approach the wheel at the same angle you approach when sharpening.

Thank you,

Cut 2 Please
01-04-2004, 12:08 AM
I purchased a Mag 8000 from you last spring and love it. I have the same problem and need a larger work table for it. What would be the odds of you making a larger work table for the 8000?
Thanks,
Charles

Magna-Matic
01-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Hello,

We can of course review the possiblity, as we did with the MAG-9000, but with the MAG-8000 it may be more difficult because of the small mounting area of the plastic.

I will have our engineers review the possiblities.

Thank you, and Happy New Year to All!!!