PDA

View Full Version : Nuts

promower
10-28-2003, 06:08 PM
What a day, Did a clean up today and when I arrived they said they wanted me to pick up all the walnuts that fell in the backyard. I told them the walnut clean up would be charged by the hour in addition to the price I gave for the leaf removal. Well good thing I didnt have to much work today those walnuts took just under four hours to clean up. Anyone have a good solution for clearing these nuts quick.

Remsen1
10-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Hire chipmonks. Or use a pitching wedge and work on your short game. LOL!

No, sorry no suggestions.

locutus
10-28-2003, 06:47 PM
I have the same problem with those gum-balls/prickle-balls. I hate these things! Someone should be able to build something similar to one of those machines that picks up golfballs on a driving range. It appears that in principal it would work.

TRex
10-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Why do you think that a golf ball picker would not work. The walnuts outer shell is kind of soft so they should get in there. That is an awsome idea locutus. I am glad I don't have to worry about them, but I acorns and pecans out the wazoo.

rodfather
10-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Remsen1
Or use a pitching wedge and work on your short game. LOL!

LMAO...good one bud:D

paponte
10-28-2003, 07:13 PM
No faster solution that I know of. As long as people are willing to pay hourly... I am wiling to pick up each and every last one.

locutus
10-28-2003, 07:20 PM
If I could get $100.00 an hour for getting up prickle balls, Id still hate it............but the money would make it more like "hate lite"

ronslawncare
10-28-2003, 07:23 PM
what about a power broom .i used it once i borrowed it from a friend.

Green in Idaho
10-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Imagine a dog trained to pick up such things and deposit them in a bucket... walnuts, acorns, crab apples, etc. Dog rides a long and while you do other things the dog does clean-up. AND then the dog learns how to clean up after ITSELF.... :D

How about a spray to wipe out the buggers before they become nuts/seeds? Gotta be one out there....

walker-talker
10-28-2003, 07:44 PM
I have heard of a chemical that is injected into the trunk of a sweet gum tree that prevents it from flowering.....thus no sweet gum-balls to drop. It was expensive and I think you had to have a special license to use the chemical.

MATT

TRex
10-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Green, I think you have something with the dog. I know a guy that had a dog to sniff out termites for his business and sold it for some major $. If you know how to train the dog I would get to work.

ManleyLawn
10-28-2003, 08:14 PM
i've heard of a local guy that had his cocker go with him mowing and the dog would walk around the yard and pick up sticks and pile them along side of the truck. i'd imagine that would be a good seller too...

locutus
10-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
Imagine a dog trained to pick up such things and deposit them in a bucket... walnuts, acorns, crab apples, etc. Dog rides a long and while you do other things the dog does clean-up. AND then the dog learns how to clean up after ITSELF.... :D

How about a spray to wipe out the buggers before they become nuts/seeds? Gotta be one out there.... Then I'd need something to get up the dog poop.:D :D

bob
10-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
I have heard of a chemical that is injected into the trunk of a sweet gum tree that prevents it from flowering....

I think it called Snipper.

John Gamba
10-28-2003, 08:26 PM
I used the sucker hose on a trac-vac on riders and walk behinds, Does a nice job.
Rod father
Ever do that?
John

Black Water
10-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Last year i saw a contraption at the Home Depot that looked like a 4 or 5" spring in a U shape, with a long handle welded perpendicular to said spring.

Actually i think the thing was called a pecan picker upper. You just press the spring on top of the nut, and it get's pushed through the coils, and collected inside of the U-shaped spring.

Looked like it would hold 50 to 100 nuts at a time.;)

Ryan Lightning
10-28-2003, 08:49 PM
I wanted to use the Sniper, but its not allowed in CA. :mad:
and I really dont want to spray a 40ft tall tree.

locutus
10-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Black Water
Last year i saw a contraption at the Home Depot that looked like a 4 or 5" spring in a U shape, with a long handle welded perpendicular to said spring.

Actually i think the thing was called a pecan picker upper. You just press the spring on top of the nut, and it get's pushed through the coils, and collected inside of the U-shaped spring.

Looked like it would hold 50 to 100 nuts at a time.;) That would work similar to the golfball picker I was talking about. The trick would be fabricating it in such a way that it would fit your mower with some sort of hopper to collect them.

rodfather
10-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
I used the sucker hose on a trac-vac on riders and walk behinds, Does a nice job.
Rod father
Ever do that?
John

Sure did JG...

the scaper
10-28-2003, 10:06 PM
only on occasion do i get those yards that have nuts, sweet gum balls etc. but when i do get them what i've found works best is to first tell my helper to run get the rake and the tarp, when he gets back i tell him to go ahead and get all of these things raked up and on the tarp ASAP. then as i'm standing there watching him about once every 55 seconds i tell him to hurry up. works great and it could'nt get much cheaper (for me that is) , for the customer is another story! :D

GroundKprs
10-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Shindiawa power broom makes quick work of any nut debris in lawns.

Southpaw
10-29-2003, 02:35 AM
Hire chipmonks. Or use a pitching wedge and work on your short game. LOL!

God that was funny LOL. Some of you guys just kill me. Now I have this vision in my head of those two chipmonks that were so polite to each other while they made Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck so mad.

"Well, I would certainly like to clean up your walnuts, dear sir."

"No, no, after you my dear chipmonk friend"'

"I wouldn't even consider taking the first walnut, please do go first."

I also have these memories from childhood where our neighbor told us kids to stay off his grass. Imagine what he would have thought if I would have brought my sand wedge and launched a few walnuts over the garage into his tomato patch. I'll say it again, God that was funny. LOL