PDA

View Full Version : How dense are you?

grassrootsinab
10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
I'm new here and wanted to see how my client density matches up and to see the size of other LCO's. I have about 22 properties in my small town and average about 13 km (8 mi) per week. I am a full time teacher but decided I couldn't holiday all summer. I think I'm doing ok...think I probably charge too little for my residential clients. Let me know!!

paponte
10-28-2003, 07:08 PM
We cut about 22-25 houses per day. We are also a full time landscape company. If it is something you are doing on the side, 20-30 residential houses sounds right. You can give the customers the best quality work, just remember to keep your prices steady with the market. Good luck.

P.S. I guess landscapers aren't as dumb as people think. Even teachers are getting in on the action! :D

Green in Idaho
10-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Jeff, what grade & subject do you teach?

If I had my summers off with a paycheck coming in, I'd be fishin and touring.... :D

bob
10-28-2003, 08:17 PM
8 miles a week! If you have a ZTR you could probably just drive it lawn to lawn! Thats great that youir lawns are that close. I have a series of model homes that I do once a week. That route alone is 48 miles.

Green in Idaho
10-28-2003, 08:23 PM
I like that as a measure for a route--- properties per mile.
Something that can be measured, compared from one year to another, and improved upon.

A big operator could compare to small operator for example.

May not show too much information but just another thing to consider. ??

yourlawnguy
10-28-2003, 08:35 PM
82 total with 42 of them within 2 miles of my house but I think even just for those 42 I drive more than 8 miles so your concentration sounds great to me. That's the way to keep overhead down. Remember to keep your prices in line with the full time guy's, you don't want to make enemies that close to home :(

dvmcmrhp52
10-28-2003, 11:00 PM
How dense are you?

I'm pretty dense at times! Just ask my wife!:laugh: :waving:

chefdrp
10-28-2003, 11:47 PM
I am part time also. I have 18 lawns i service. fulltime i am a chef.

grassrootsinab
10-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Green in Idaho,
I teach high school science, physics and math...also manage the computer network. Right now I'm grossing about the same in my lawns as I do teaching....only in 10 hours per week rather than in the 45 hrs I do teaching. Tell me what I'm thinking?!?

YardMeister
10-29-2003, 12:36 PM
All of my customers are located in a 6 mile radius from my home. I've scheduled everything on either a 10 day rotation or a 14 day rotation, and line up those days by area.

I give the customer a choice, and adjust the price accordingly. It is only slightly less money to go every 14 days, than it is to go every 10 days.

This keeps most customers on the 10 day schedule.

Your concentration of properties sounds super.

Green in Idaho
10-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by grassrootsinab
Green in Idaho,
I teach high school science, physics and math...also manage the computer network. Right now I'm grossing about the same in my lawns as I do teaching....only in 10 hours per week rather than in the 45 hrs I do teaching. Tell me what I'm thinking?!?

Cool. Yes, gross may be the same, but check the net. Check your benefits. Check your costs, risk, so forth and so on.

Multiply the current lawns by 4 (45/10 hrs) and then the gross ought to be four times, right. I see you teach math, so there's no lesson here, this is for the slow math people....

Teaching $100
Mowing $400
Mow Net $100 (25%)

IF NET of mowing is 25% the two are close. But then factor in insurance and RETIREMENT and other benefits offers to teachers and not to S.E. people. And then factor in the tax bite... etc.

What is the tax bite there in Canada for say, $30,000 dollars? ?? Humm, maybe with US/Candadian conversion....?

So I will GUESS the two are comparable IF you operate as a sole prop. It wouldn't be until until you jump into employees that lawn could be more $. But then principals make decent money....

The reward of teaching kids vs the reward of a nice lawn....?value?

grassrootsinab
10-29-2003, 01:53 PM
I do love teaching (most days) but it sure is nice come April to get outside and do some physical work rather than pushing paper. I'm doing the math about the lawns vs. teaching now. I think in another 5 or so when my boys get old enough to run a machine we may go big into the LCO. I could still teach part time (beats blowing snow at 6:30 am during the winter) but also have my own business. I guess the one think that I would ask is why are people willing to pay for a nice looking yard but won't pay to have nice kids (education really is important).

musselman
10-29-2003, 03:05 PM
I also teach full time, I have 8 commercial accounts 4 of them are big. I also mow 15 residentals a week. I service two small town about 25 miles apart so I do have some travel. I could do alot more work in the summer, but this time of the year with teaching, mowing, leaf clean-up...and I also coach wrestling which just started here for us...I am busy enough. I also make more money mowing than teaching, but not year round. I also dont have benefits and retirement while mowing. Why work to hard in the summer by the time mowing,teaching, and wrestling are over it takes most of the summer to remember my kids names. before teaching I lived in a larger town with lots af account (about 100) a couple of employees.....yea I made alot of money, but my wife likes me more now lol. I liked both but If I had to choose I would stay small and teach rather than have a big LCO....you might not believe it but kids are easier to deal with than employees lol
I teach middle school history and PE

CoachLinz
10-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Seems like there are alot of us teachers around here. I teach High school computer software and mow part-time. Just started this past summer. Had 5 lawns and a bunch of landscape jobs this year. Looking to triple that next summer.

Green in Idaho
10-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Teachers and firemen...pretty soon the politicians will be mowing too. :-)

Comparing the money again, I can grab my 21" mower and walk down the sidewalk to mow a couple lawns for $30 each that take only 30 minutes.

But that does not mean I can make a business earning $60/hr.

Put ONE accident into your summer and you will be in serious kimshie (sp?). Imagine throwing your back out while lifting a heavy bag of grass or whatever; mower accident takes 3 fingers; or worse! It HAPPENS.

Do you have worker's comp for yourself? Will your current insurance pay for a work injury on some other job?

Comparing the two teaching is for 9 months, paid out in 12 months. So someone earning $24,000 year is equivalent to earning $32,000 otherwise. So instead of 2,000/mo, a comparison is more like 2,666/mo. at least that's how I look at it. Works the same in lawn/landscaping except for the other direction. Someone working 9 months has to spread out for 12. So the 24,000 earned in 9 months is more like the 2,000/mo.

Interested in summer work?
My brother-in-law (a teacher) drives buses for fire crews. Makes GOOD money doing it too since he is paid per diem and all. He drives in the morning and the evening and sits in camp during the day enjoying the great catered food all day (free) and catching up on his summer reading...

grassrootsinab
10-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Green,
I made sure I was covered by Workers Comp and insurance. I agree that you have to look out for yourself. I don't think my school division's policy would look to favourable at covering a long-term disability if I cut my fingers off cutting grass.:o