PDA

View Full Version : home, shop, land? my idea (pros&cons)

ManleyLawn
10-28-2003, 06:51 PM
ok. here we go. i have been thinking about my own place for awhile now. here is my plan. i get 3-5 acres of land zoned residential/commercial i put my shop towards the back of the property and my house to the front. 2 seperate drives to the house and shop seperated by trees. back wooded area w/ drive (behind shop) for dumping leaves grass trees etc. i have been thinking and looking at the pros and cons but i would really like to know am i dreaming or is this idea feasible. i dunno, i think i may be getting ahead of myself but it sure as hell beats paying rent to someone else on a shop home etc. any of your ideas thoughts would be appreciated. can all this be done given the right area for around $150,000 / $200,000 like i said anything is help. can't hurt my feelings none.

Randy Scott
10-28-2003, 07:15 PM
That amount of money would barely get the land around here, much less a home and a shop.

locutus
10-28-2003, 07:27 PM
I have been thinking about the same thing. The idea of a separate workshop away from the house is very appealing. Id put a big screen out there, a sofa, fridge and other of lifes neccessities. For the money you,re talking about, I could come up with something around here.

ManleyLawn
10-28-2003, 07:44 PM
like i said it's all in the making i dunno i've heard that it can be done around that price. at least shop. land... its all in what area you would be in i guess

the scaper
10-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by locutus
I have been thinking about the same thing. The idea of a separate workshop away from the house is very appealing. Id put a big screen out there, a sofa, fridge and other of lifes neccessities. For the money you,re talking about, I could come up with something around here. i like your choice of tools to stock the shop with!

bam
10-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Its a nice thought, however if you're remaining in DE, I think you need some more capital. The most land you could acquire for 150,000 is about 2 acres in northern, DE. Keep in mind that is space, not buildings, utilities, etc. If you wanted to get more bang for your buck, you'd have to relocate to lower DE, however the job market - lawn maint., landscaping, and snow plowing are completely different. Just an hour ride between wilm and dover and weather is complete opposites at times.

also, in populated areas it is going to be even more difficult to find land and zoning to suit your needs. Right now I'm trying to relocate, and we can't even find 2 acres of land and office space for a business. We been looking for over a year now.

from a legal standpoint, I don't know if I;d want a home and business linked on the same property. What if you were sued. If you live and work at the same location, you could lose everything. at least if you had your home, and leased or bought other property, you could separate your belongings in legal documents, which may protect you if someone went after you.

most decent townhomes, can't be found for under 120,000 in Wilm. and surrounding areas, so I don't see you reaching your goal without some substantial plans and financial backing.

ManleyLawn
10-28-2003, 08:28 PM
i was thinking maryland area not far from newark. bam great reply thanks

Turfdude
10-28-2003, 10:11 PM
I think you have a great idea, but you're way off the mark on the costs. Depending on how you get zoned, if you are open to the public and have to satify the ADA act like I did, you're in for a real headache and awakening. Check this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54869

This small 2400 sq ft building (office, bath, shop & mech room) on a 3/4 acre lot was almost your upper end figure. Its real value is almost double that.

Again - great idea, but when you have to factor in "soft costs" (engineering fees - mine were almost $20K), ADA issues, zoning, permits, et al... you need to be a Rockerfeller to make it happen.

rock
10-28-2003, 10:33 PM
now i know why i like living in the beautiful blue-ridge mountains of Virginia. I'm 15 minutes from the Blue-ridge parkway,near Mabry's Mill. I have 5 acres with a 2 year old house that i had built. Nice big yard,paved driveway,lots of landscaping,pool,about 1,000 square feet of decks. The house is a 1 1/2 story with a full basement(3100 square feet),it has 22 foot high ceilings in the living room with a balcony overlooking. Hardwood floors throughout excepty ceramic tile in the bathrooms. 3 bedrooms,and 3 baths. Also has a 1 car carport,and 1 end of the house has a lot of glass(the end with the 22 foot ceilings),has a rock fireplace,rock around the front door,and rock around the foundation and basement. Also have a 12x24 shop. All of this and it is appraised at $175,000. Ready to move yet? Only one bad thing the unemployment rate is 14% in this county. Most people are self-employed. Alot of retired people from up north have started moving here in the last couple of years also. Alot of summer homes around here also.

Tbarchaser
10-28-2003, 10:48 PM
I was thinking along those lines also...but then I thought....
Employees will know where I live...in the big house on the hill, with the boat and the jet-ski and his wife is driving a BMW, and we are only making $8.00 an hour etc.... Also if I want to sell the biz...I have to sell the house with it. The greatly lowers potential buyers.

KEEP YOUR WORK AND HOME SEPARATE!!!!!!!!!

mtdman
10-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Tbarchaser
I was thinking along those lines also...but then I thought....
Employees will know where I live...in the big house on the hill, with the boat and the jet-ski and his wife is driving a BMW, and we are only making $8.00 an hour etc.... Also if I want to sell the biz...I have to sell the house with it. The greatly lowers potential buyers.

KEEP YOUR WORK AND HOME SEPARATE!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more. If anything, buy some commercial/industrial zoned land and build a shop there. I wouldn't build a shop on my prop(erty).

:D

Jimbo
10-29-2003, 10:48 AM
You never said how big your company is or you plan to make it??

I plan on building a house and shop in the next few years, but I am solo and plan on keeping it that way. If I go out of business I sell what equipment I want and use the shop as my personal shop. There is no liabilty (I am not going to sue myself).

So it really depends on the details.

Jimbo

Scraper
10-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Not in Wilmington you won't....not going to even get a halfway decent house on a 1/2 acre for that much. Trust me...I live next door. Wishful thinking though...

promower
10-29-2003, 01:53 PM
I wish I lived by you rock. Many homes for sale by me a 700-1200 sq. ft home will cost $100,000-150,000 around here on a huge .25 acre lot .

rock
10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Promower i work with a lot of people that are originally from up north and it is amazing how much higher real-estate is up there. This is a perfect example of the big difference in the hourly rates that some people claim to get for mowing on here. I would like to see how much business some of you would get charging 45-60 an hour around here. You would just get laughed at. But honestly what is the difference between living somewhere where you have to pay 300,000 for your house,and you charge 50 an hour,or living somewhere where the same house costs you 150,000 and you charge 35 an hour? Your help probably costs about 10-12 an hour where mine is 7-8. Then all the other things like real-estate and property taxes,gas is 1.29 a gallon here right now.

ManleyLawn
10-29-2003, 11:19 PM
im not going to live in Wimington i know what i can get for the money around here.......................maryland maybe these are all ideas. i am still small just trying to figure out where i am going in life work my son g/f family.... trying to make the best with what i got.... i know for sure i can't afford any land around wilmington newark or pike creek... as far as keeping business and personal life apart.ummmm. i live my work thats why i am at my home at 11:30 at night reading posts and working on things for next year. believe me if i didn't love what i was doing i wouldn't be doing it. wishful thinking possibly but getting out of wilmington it can be done or so i'm told thanks for your guys and gals input and ideas keep them coming

ManleyLawn
10-29-2003, 11:29 PM
turf dude looks great... what did just the shop cost you..... w/o electric and plumbing and all that fun stuff... no my customers would not be coming to my shop. basically it would be a shop. equipment and bathroom thats pretty much it. so truf dude are you a rockafella in disguise???:) looks great would love to chat with you some time.

ManleyLawn
10-31-2003, 12:15 AM
how do you guys think i will be able to find out about all the rules and regulations regarding property and zoning. just find a real estate agent????

promower
11-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Rock, yeah the cost of real estate here is getting ridiculous, and probably why we get a little more per hour then where your at. There are ads in the paper all the time for $6-$8 an hour jobs I just dont see how some of these people make it. My old job I made $12 plus about 15-20 hours over time each week and I definately wasnt living the high life.

grassassassin
11-03-2003, 04:24 AM
From my past experience make sure your location is great. Notice I didn't say good, it needs to be great. We bought five, flat, usable acres for 38,000. My hopes were to expand into another market close by. This property was exactly in the middle of my current market and the hopfully new one. After I checked out the new market even more we decided to stay away from it.

Cost to me: Thirty minute drive to the shop in the morning.
Twenty minutes back in the opposite direction for work.
Have to pay employees for a total of 40 minutes extra drive time,
Also if you forget something it's all the way back to the shop.

We were fortunate enough to sell the property in three days after listing it. We made a little money on the real estate but not enough to account for time and payroll loss.

So do your homework, location is everything.

ManleyLawn
11-05-2003, 12:05 AM
thanks grassassasin these will be all looked into now so when the time comes to make a move i'll be prepared... thanks