PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer Forestry Mowing

Lawnworks
10-28-2003, 09:45 PM
I posted this in the landscaping forum but this seems to be the place for skid steers, but anyway I am thinking of getting into forestry mowing and clearing land with this machine. There is some equipment for sale locally that has sparked my interest. The equipment is a 2002 Cat 248 w/ 280hrs, loftness 72" forestry mower w/ 98 teeth, bucket, root rake, landscape rake, sod compactor, and 16,000 lb trailer. He is asking $48,500. What do yall think? Too much? What would you offer? My main concern is advertizing and marketing or basically getting business. I think I can get enough work to pay for the equipment. The guy said the local home expo got hime 6 months of work. I will spend whatever it takes to get it off the ground, but I just need to know how. Flyers and yellow pages have exploded my lawn maintenance business, but I don't they would be that effective for this considering yellow pages don't come out for 8 months. Billboard? Is a turbo cat necessary or will naturally aspirated work well?

m&m
10-28-2003, 11:45 PM
offer him 45 grand and see if he jumps on it.......as for getting work, you will be surprised what ya run into for work......you will get it ......as long as ya have that skid steer you will be ok for making your payments........always a good chance at great success

ksss
10-29-2003, 02:40 AM
I have looked into the forestry mowers and have thought about entering into that market. The loftness is the lightest duty of the machines I found. However it was the least expensive (as well it should be). The machines made by Brown Bear, FECON and others are much more heavy duty but cost over 20K. They advertise being able to process 6-8 inch trees. So I guess it depends on what you will be doing with it as to what kind of deal it is. I have never run one of these but my experience is that these types of machines take a lot of power to run effectively. High Flow hydraulics make them much more productive. If that Cat is a turbo I would say that would be a good thing. Also if your cutting in timber country you may be gaining in elevation. The turbo makes a big difference at higher elevations. I live at 4,700 feet and do work up to 9,500 and with out a turbo they have no power.

Lawnworks
10-29-2003, 06:57 AM
ksss
If you were trying to enter the market, how would you advertise? Who would you talk to? I am at standard elevation all the time so would a non-turbo be ok? They are about 10k less, but I guess I would rather buy it right the first time.

ksss
10-29-2003, 06:18 PM
I was contacted by the Forest Service initially. I would look at, power companies. They have to maintain right of way for power line work and would be a good place to start along with county and state agencies. For residential work I would look at newspaper and radio atleast until the new yellow pages come out. I have had good luck with brochures/fliers. On the skid steer side of it. If you are looking at specing a new machine I would get a turbo and high flow hydrualics for the type work you will be doing. The turbo will help resale even if you don't need the added power. However I am sure you would be happier with it than without it. If your not sold on Cat I would search machines that have a high gpm on the hydraulics. You will also want a cab preferably with AC. That being said if just want to enter the market and see how things progress the equipment you mentioned would do that . Once into it you will know what you need out of your next machine. Good luck

Scag48
11-01-2003, 09:28 PM
You won't be dissapointed with that 248, it's a beast of a machine. The turbo will give you that power you're going to need, it's not so much of an elevation issue, but when you're running such a heavy piece cutting through stuff, you'll need the turbo. All the machines in that size have turbo, and to get a naturally aspirated machine would be a sacrifice on HP which would be dumb for the type of work you will be doing. With a bucket on there, you should have no problem getting work and with a machine of that size (248) you can move alot of dirt fast, so you'll have the ability to do some small excavation jobs. I think you'd be fine if the market is like your maintenance business. We have a 216 that we're doing small excavation jobs with, small confined areas to be exact. Our 216 can't compete with a backhoe as far as shear capacity goes, but that 248 with maneuverability factored in would blow a backhoe out of the water on a residential job. Sounds like a good way to make money and if you think it will work, I would not hesitate. Oh yeah, offer him $43,000. I think $48,000 is a little high. Good luck!