PDA

View Full Version : new lawn install

mountain
10-29-2003, 10:19 AM
What seems to be the going rate per square foot for new lawn installation? Here's our story, we estimated roughly a 2 acres new lawn at $13,500 and the customer thought we were crazy. Materials alone were $10,000. Wondering what everyone else charges?

rmartin
10-29-2003, 10:51 AM
are u sodding,hydro seeding, loaming?

AztlanLC
10-29-2003, 11:00 AM
That price soud cheap for sod, hig for seed, maybe was hydro, my best bet seed with top soil.

little green guy
10-29-2003, 11:05 AM
It all depends on what you are putting in, how moch topsoil and all that. I bid a job yesturday for 17,000 sq ft sod and 3,000 sq ft hydroseed for $12,000

mountain
10-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Fine grading, topsoil and seed.

mountain
10-29-2003, 12:53 PM
We had To fine grade lot , rake and spread topsoil figured 1 - 1 1/2 inch layer about 300 yrds. Then starter fert. , seed and cover

olderthandirt
10-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Why does everyone put top-soil down to start grass seed? unless its solid rock or shale I never have to use top-soil to put in a nice lawn and Ivé done lots. Don't miss understand If a customer will pay I'm more than happy to spread it and I also know you get better or just quicker results using top-soil, but 2 acres $8000, Harly rake, seed, fert and blow on a 150 bales of straw. And unless they have irrigation there not gonna water it so top is a waste of money for lawn, tell you will make there beds with the top-soil. Mac

NCSULandscaper
10-29-2003, 01:13 PM
^^^^^ i agree

If grass can grow through asphault, it can survive without fresh topsoil. Harley rake it, throw seed, fert, straw and go.

SuperShovel
10-29-2003, 01:23 PM
What I would charge:

300yds of Topsoil, I pay $8/yd for screened, good soil. That includes tax. I charge the customer $10yd.

$ 3,000.00

Grading, I would spread and then grade with my pulverizer. After that any hand raking needed would be minimal. My pulverizer does the work for me and the finished job looks hand raked without even picking up a rake.

2-3 days of grading (Depending on how far the dirt had to be moved) $1,600.00

I use a drill seeder attachment on my JD Tractor.

2 acres drill seeded with starter fertilizer broadcast, $ 2,000.00

Total:

$ 6,600.00 Cost of Materials: $ 3,000.00

Don't know what to charge for straw if you used it.

Well let me know what you guys think of my price too. I generally charge about $500 or more a day for the tractor, and $900 an acre for drill seeding. I plant in the fall and don't use straw. If I plant in the summer I use straw and on hills and water flow areas I use staked in straw blankets. That is all extra $.

What are the $10,000.00 of materials? Is your topsoil expensive? What kind of soil are you using?

mountain
10-29-2003, 01:59 PM
looks like me price was alittle steep . not really set up to do 2 areas , equipment wise anyway. we get topsoil Screened Plus ( has some compost mixed in ) at $20 per yrd plus tax $6400 / delivery 8 loads another $600 / seed & fert $800
and penmulch (GREAT stuff) $2000 = $9800

SuperShovel
10-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Considering your material cost, your price is quite fair. That is a large amount of really expensive dirt.

In my opinion it is not very effecient to put on compost mix topsoil. What you want is a consistent soil 6 inches deep.

For example I have a customer who decided she would try and fix an area herself. She bought expensive soil like that and put down 2 inches of it. In the summer her grass burned becuase the roots stayed in the top 2 inches. My turf expert says it's bad to have a layer like that becuase the water and the roots will not go into the bottom layer. And something about capillary action of the water.

I think the best thing to do is rototill/harly rake the soil, mix in some sandy loam screened topsoil if it needs it. Now you have 6" of consistent soil for grass roots to grow in. And it's a lot cheaper in materials.

What do you pay for screened sandy loam delivered there?

By the way my prices are for delivery by gravel trains, some places might not be able to receive from trains or semis. So delivery for a dump truck would cost more too.

mountain
10-29-2003, 05:20 PM
yeh your expert's right. we also mix the soils together as we fine grade. I like the compost because it lessens the need for followup fertilizer applications , it also seems to helps with preventing rust. Most homeowners in our area neglect their lawns. then wonder why the lawn looks like crap.
Sandy loam heck you would be hard pressed to even find it around here