PDA

View Full Version : Not to bore you with another cleanup question, but.....

Expert Lawns
10-29-2003, 07:59 PM
By using one set of blades instead of doubles has reduced the blowout a bit, but will lowering the deck help too?

EJK2352
10-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Singles work better than doubles for leaf pickup w/ an UltraVac. I use low lifts and keep the deck set at 2.5"- 3". If you set the deck much lower than that you end up plowing the leaves instead of picking them up.

wriken
10-29-2003, 08:23 PM
My cub tank has about a 1-1.5" spacer that goes on top of the blade, so its spacer/blade/nut, from top to bottom. This spring I took the spacers off and just put a couple washers on top of the blades seemed to help with the blow-out, this way it got the blades up in the baffles. I set my deck at 3.5-4", so it would suck the leaves under, I did'nt care about the height of the deck being right on, I was'nt cutting grass, just sucking leaves.

Expert Lawns
10-29-2003, 08:25 PM
I've never cut lower than 2.75. Normal cutting is at 3-3.25.
I use a regular 3 bushel bagger and I'm having trouble getting all the leaves in one swipe.

wriken
10-29-2003, 08:26 PM
wanted to add, when I have the vac system on, I have a set of blades that I got from j-thomas's, they have very little lift, works better when installed. Plus there thicker then my regular blades and hold up to the abuse better.

AztlanLC
10-29-2003, 08:34 PM
I use doubles all the time this time of the season I put 2 gators, mulches the leaves to dust no blowout problem on my machine.

locutus
10-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Yes, lowering the deck will help. This is essentially what some people are doing by installing the lawn edging on the leading edge of their mower deck.

Expert Lawns
10-29-2003, 09:03 PM
Wriken, have any pictures of this setup?

Aztlan, I take it you mulch only, no bagging?

AztlanLC
10-29-2003, 11:42 PM
Yes, I gave the vaccum thing up 2 years ago we used to even, after the first year we went doubles, and it worked pretty good with the vaccum also, but now it takes much less time and the end result is the same. Of course there's couple of lawns that the high amount of leaves doesn't allow us to only mulch, we just blow and plow'em to the curb.