PDA

View Full Version : Aeration and Inground sprinklers...

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-29-2003, 10:07 PM
...do NOT mix! I ripped a Rain Bird impact head up today!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

troblandscape
10-29-2003, 11:15 PM
I always have the customer turn the system on and flag all the heads........ :dizzy:

lawnkid
10-29-2003, 11:25 PM
That's not good. You're still aerating now? I got done 3 weeks ago.

the scaper
10-30-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by lawnkid
That's not good. You're still aerating now? I got done 3 weeks ago. you havnt sold an aeration in three weeks?? thats not good! now i admit that the bulk of mine are finished and i got done recommending aeration three weeks ago and prime time is meandering away ,however, customer is boss , money is money, and if the stragglers and procrastenators wait till the eleventh hour to call me for an aeration , well .. so be it ..i'm on the way !! i have this little motto - hey- we can do it my way- OR- we can do it mr and mrs customers way! just remember, if i have to put on my snowsuit to aerate your yard - A: i'm telling you right now the timming is not good and B: prices may vary! :D

the scaper
10-30-2003, 12:24 AM
oh yea, opps! didnt mean to get off topic . you definatly dont want to aerate your customers srinkler system. locating/flagging the heads and shallow aerating is what i do.

mtdman
10-30-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by the scaper
you havnt sold an aeration in three weeks?? thats not good! now i admit that the bulk of mine are finished and i got done recommending aeration three weeks ago and prime time is meandering away ,however, customer is boss , money is money, and if the stragglers and procrastenators wait till the eleventh hour to call me for an aeration , well .. so be it ..i'm on the way !! i have this little motto - hey- we can do it my way- OR- we can do it mr and mrs customers way! just remember, if i have to put on my snowsuit to aerate your yard - A: i'm telling you right now the timming is not good and B: prices may vary! :D

I dunno about that. I got a call just last week for aeration that I turned down. Way too late in the season for that stuff. I don't know if the guy went elsewhere, but I wasn't doing it.

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-30-2003, 07:25 AM
No, Its more of the fact that I said "Is there anything I should look out for?" And the fact that You couldnt see the heads becasue they were all WAY below grade! (someone spraypainted them green (ya, REALLY dumb)! :angry: I asked after I finished why they were a green color, and the wife said "My hubby didnt want ugly black circles in the yard, so he camoflaused them" Well, He did a good job!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SuperShovel
10-30-2003, 12:05 PM
I don't think it is too late to aerate. You are right, it would be better in September or earlier in October, but aeration is aeration. It is still a benefit.

I just started doing aeration this year, and right now. I was worried about maybe being too late being out of prime time for grass seeding and all so I talked to some turf experts I know and they said when seeding into existing lawn the grass that is there will protect seedlings and what doesn't germinate will germinate in the spring.

I know I'll lose more of the seed then I would in September, but it will still be a benefit worth the cost I believe.

Camaflouge sprinkler heads lol :) I hope they are paying for the repair. Are they?

Mark
10-30-2003, 06:29 PM
:) I agree with troblandscape, I always have them trun on the system and flag the heads and pipes which aren't deep enough......Marks Mowing Service.......Its not to late to core plug.....Heck it was 75 here today in Evansville In. Wind was a pain in the butt today with all the leaf work.

General Grounds
10-30-2003, 06:33 PM
:blob3: i provide flags for the customer a week in advance with the date baring any weather, if the flags were not put up its there problem to fix the heads and they are well aware because they signed the contract with the sprinkler clause in there. tony

GarPA
10-30-2003, 06:42 PM
we also need to remember that while core aeration does stress the root system a bit, its the soil temp thats more important than the air temp...with the warm weather thats forecasted for many of us. the root systems should recover ok

leeslawncare
10-30-2003, 07:21 PM
I did 2 yesterday.weather here ......i't will grow .hey i'll do it in july if they are dumb enuf to ask.get a contract.cover my butt.

bobbygedd
10-30-2003, 07:54 PM
lawnboy, any thatching or aeration calls for THE CUSTOMER to flag the heads in advance. we advise on what day we r comming, they must flag the heads before that day. if they miss one, and u break it, oh well, nest time they will be more careful