PDA

View Full Version : Central NC Seeding Question

Westbrooklawn
10-30-2003, 07:37 AM
I have finished my fall aerating and seeding about 2 weeks ago. I now have a new customer that wants me to aerate, seed, and fertilize next week, using my usual tall fescue blend.

Go or No Go?..........how would you handle it? I know it's late, but weather conditions here could make it work. By the way, we will be keeping leaves off the turf throughout the fall/winter.

NC Big Daddy
10-30-2003, 07:44 AM
It wont be a problem at all. It will be slow to come in. Remind the customer to water.

Team Gopher
10-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Hi Westbrook,

While you are waiting for more posts. Here is a quote from this site.

Tall Fescue Lawn Maintenance Calendar (http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/pubs/ag367.html#sepnov)

"September-November

Aerification

Core lawns subject to heavy traffic or on clay soils to minimize compaction and improve rooting. Break up plugs.

Renovation

Piedmont and Coastal Plain Regions Only! (See June-August for western region.) Overseed thin, bare areas as grass begins to respond to cooler temperatures in September and early October. Use a blend of tall fescue cultivars at 6 pounds per thousand square feet. Apply a starter-type (high phosphorus) fertilizer at time of seeding. Keep the seedbed moist with light, frequent sprinklings several times a day to ensure good germination. "

THE NORTH CAROLINA COOPERATIVE EXTENSION SERVICE

Westbrooklawn
10-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Team Gopher - thanks for the reply. I already had the NC recommendations in hand......hence the reason for my question!!

It's one of those issues where you know what the ideal answer is....but you are hoping maybe someone else's experience will tell you that you can still have success even if you are outside the normal window of opportunity.

Westbrooklawn
10-30-2003, 01:50 PM
just bringing it to the top for more input!!

subdube
10-30-2003, 03:41 PM
I agree it's not too late they just won't see a lot till spring. But go ahead and seed because i'm still seeding.

Davo
10-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Gotta agree with the others, warm days still (75 f ) and cool nights (High 40's) in Charlotte, should make for ok conditions. The window is closing however, gonna get cold, and lots of leaves soon. I have one property that I took over on the 15th of Oct., that hasn't been aerated yet, will do it Fri, & Sat.

NCSULandscaper
10-30-2003, 06:29 PM
With the way the weather looks i would go ahead and do it and you should get good results. We usually try to stop planting grass by the 2nd week in Nov. but have planted in the middle of winter and had decent results in central NC.