PDA

View Full Version : Is a BBC worth it?

Cut This!
10-30-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm looking at a new 21" commercial mower and wanted to know if you guys thought the BBC option was worth the extra money.

Let me know.

Thanks!

TLS
10-30-2003, 10:06 AM
I'd say only if your bagging.

Makes restarting after bag emptying not necessary.

Its also something else to go wrong.

Rick Jones
10-30-2003, 10:51 AM
It's not 100% necessary, but it is a real nice feature. Not only is it good for bagging, but it is nice to be able to run the motor without the blade going. Comes in handy when you are transporting the machine. My theory is if you are spending $900 on a mower, what's another $100? Plus everything else gas-powered has a clutch, right down to string trimmers so why shouldn't a 21" mower?

TLS, is right, it's another part to break, but so is a self-propelled drive system for that matter. If you get it, you'll want to make sure you keep the mechanism clean. There is usually a cover mounted over everything. Take it off periodically and clean out the works.

Just for a little perspective, I had about an '86 Toro w/ BBC and it was still working 2 months ago when I sold it. I've got an '89 JD 21" and a '95 Toro both with BBC and they still work flawlessly.

FrankenScagMachines
10-30-2003, 10:54 AM
what the others said. Also it adds some weight if that is an issue for you (lifting up to get out of truck/trailer or into a area up or down steps, etc)