PDA

View Full Version : Angle or tubular

Qdriver
10-30-2003, 12:01 PM
I have designed a trailer for my operation starting next spring. I plan to purchase the material and build it from scratch using my dad's help (and his welder). I feel this will be the less expensive route.

We have built a few small utility trailers together in the past and working on one right now just to sell.

In researching the trailer Manf.s in my local area, I have found they all use angle.

Some lager manf. (Wells Cargo) uses "c" iron. The most expensive trailer manf.s use sq tubular.

I am trying to balance cost with quality and longevity.

What are the advantages of building vs buying and angle vs tubular.

Gravel Rat
10-30-2003, 01:33 PM
The one thing you have to consider about using square tube it rusts from the iside out if you have any moisture getting inside the tubing its going to rust.

Square tubing is easier to work with as you just chop the end of square or at a angle etc and match it up to what ever your welding.

What type of trailer are you building ?

For the chassis of the trailer I would use 5-6" channel its easier to bolt your suspension to it etc and run wiring harness etc.

You can box sections of the channel to strengthen up key areas you don't want the chassis that ridgid it has to flex a bit square tube doesn't flex.

Qdriver
10-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Some lager manf. (Wells Cargo)

OOOPPS,.. I didn't know Wells Cargo Made beer,...:p

anyway,......Gravel Rat, It will be a Lawn Maintenance trailer. 14-18' tandem. Able to carry a 36" w/b, 21" push, asst. pole equip. BPs and later a "52 Z and a 10-15hp Little Wonder. Not to mention shovels ,rakes,..etc.

It will have the standard gate plus a 42" side gate. 4' high mesh all the way around, Locking bins for BPs, tools ..etc. Leaf/debris bin and a refueling tank of some sort.

I was not able to find a trailer like I envisioned made by any manf. so I just designed one. I think it will be less expensive to build rather than buy/ship from out of state.

Gravel Rat
10-30-2003, 03:40 PM
I would build the chassis part of the trailer out of channel if you are going to build a trailer that long you will save some weigh plus you can keep a eye on the rust.

You might aswell build the trailer heavy enough to carry a Bobcat or a small Mini excavator you will never know what your plans will be say a year later.

Spend the money now than later when you find out oh crap I need to carry a skid steer for a job you are going todo or need to haul a heavier load.

You can build the upper structure of your trailer with tube as it does look nicer and easier to work with.

I would draw up some plans and get prices on steel another thing you have to keep in mind is can you license a U bilt trailer in your state. I might have to be inspected before you can use it on road use so it will have to have a VIN number etc.

Qdriver
10-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Gravel Rat,... I did not think about that,...I want to get into landscaping soon as I can. So, I may indeed need at some point in the future need to carry a skid steer. How much does that type of equip weigh?

Also,. when you say "channel" do you mean "C" iron or "L" (aka angle iron)

Yes,.. All I have to do once the trailer is built. Is to have it weighed, then take it to the License office and they give it a VIN and tag. No inspection needed. (odd I think but,....hey)

Gravel Rat
10-31-2003, 01:11 PM
For the trailer frame you would use C Channel you would have to talk to a steel supplier to see what size you would need for the length you want togo.