PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Vac for Leaves & Pine Needles

Rustic Goat
10-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of such a piece of equipment that will actually pick up and chop leaves and pine needles off the lawn or hard surface and do a good job of it.
No, I'm not meaning a mower with bagging attachment, or rake and back bending thank you. Just seems that with all the yard clean ups in this biz, some mfg would put together a machine that could do this. Several will do leaves, but add pine needles to the mix and it's a different chore.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-30-2003, 07:48 PM
anything else but a mower would just take to long....my dixies with trac-vacs do a great job with pine needles.....have seen guys trying to do it with a billygoat but it does a pretty poor job

gramps
11-01-2003, 03:41 PM
I have used Chraftsman four in one vac. Picks it all up.Set down it cleans walks drives streets. Mulches down 8 to 1. Handles up tp one and one half sticks. Works fast bag holds lots. Give it a try don't like it take it back

pinnacle
11-01-2003, 05:31 PM
gramps: Can you tell us more or give a link to the "four in one vac"
Would it be good for cleaning out road side gutters with lots of leaves, sticks, reminents of 2 years of edged growth from a side walk?

Rustic Goat
11-01-2003, 09:06 PM
pinnacle, check out www.sears.com
there seems to be several versions

very interesting to a point

Reason I keep hoping I'll find a piece of equipment that'll preform as I've described in thread starting post, have many accts w/36" gates.
No can do with large equipment, bagging pine straw/needles with 21" or 36" mower is a real pain, bag fills almost instantly. If a chopper/vac type piece of equipment would actually perform both tasks well, it would help (I think) cut time down.
Any other ideas?

pinnacle
11-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks Rustic

I've been doing work for council latley (foot path areas) and a vac like that would save me alot of blowing time.

gogetter
11-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Rustic, it's probably pretty costly, but check out Bear Cats new lawn vac.
It has "agitator bars" (?) that are supposed to get up matted down leaves and such.

And rather then a cloth bag like most have, it has a plastic garbage can (like trac vacs).

It's funny I had emailed one of the lawn vac companies (I think it was Billy Goat) and made the suggestion of some type of spring tines on the front to help get up matted down stuff.

I'm guessing that Bear Cat's "agitator bars" are some kind of tines.

Just a thought.

gogetter
11-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Here's that Bear Cat:

http://www.bearcatproducts.com/bearvacpro.html

Rustic Goat
11-02-2003, 01:39 AM
gogetter, thanks for the Bear Cat tip, it certainly looks like it would do the job, I'll be checking on the price. You are probably (and unfortunately) correct about the price being up there.

pinnacle, have you seen this yet, looks like it ought to get the job done and then some.