PDA

View Full Version : New to Business, How to get accounts

Grass King
10-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Just getting started in the business. What is best way to get accounts. Getting the word out, Etc.

Grass King

2003 Scrag 61"
2003 7' x 16" trailer
1997 Z71 chevy
Homelite trimer (old but still running)
Homelite Blower ( new):help:

HandEnterprises
10-30-2003, 08:11 PM
for me , the fastest way to get new accts. is to advertise in the neighborhood news papers where i want to work. these adds run about $6 per week per city. they usualy hit about 10000 door steps per city.
also make up business cards and always keep some with you. give them out every chance you get. even if it is only used for a note.$20-$40 for 1000 cards is cheap advertising.
having your truck lettered is also well worth the money. just make sure that it contrasts with the truck and make the phone # big enough to see clearly from about 60 ft. older people wont leave the house to get your #.door hanging also works but it is hard to get motivated to do it, but if you do 2 or 3 on each side of your current customers this is a start.

justmjc
10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
It's all about your budget. How many customers do you want and how much do you want to spend?

Next year I'm going with 5000 5.5"x8.5" color postcards to hand out door to door. I'm also setting up 8.5x11" display with b/cards in hair salons and other stores that allow it. Next I'm advertising in the local papers. I will have both my truck and the rear of my trailer lettered in addition. Also, I always include 2 or 3 business cards in all billings I send out. This way customers can give out my card to their friends and family members. And finally, I'm sending out flyer inserts as a 1 time mailing in a local paper to about 16,000 readers. I'm hoping for 40 accounts in addition to the accounts I have. No more and no less at this point. Expand slowly but not too slow. I've heard that the yellow pages do well if you design a nice display ad.

Groundcover Solutions
11-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Personaly when we started out we put made up a good flyer using publisher. After our first design we had people look at it and give input, we changed it up and had it printed at our local printing company. You need to get the flyers out twards the end of winter. Find an area you want to service and place the flyers in that area. put them out more than once. Once you get a few accounts advertise around thoughs accounts with some sort of advertisment that says we are working in your area, come take a look. If you do good quality work then word of mouth is your best advertisment. The hardist part is getting thouhgs first few accounts, go door to door with your flyer and take to people. Just try and get your name out there. Get your truck lettered like others said so when you are working people can see who it is that is doing such a great job. Just focuse on quality of work then the customers will start rolling in. Just my 2 cents

alpine692003
12-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, this was what I was just looking for. Good tips and advice, much appreciated :)

I was going to advertise in local city newspapers, hand out flyers and business cards..

What did your ad say in the newspaper when you guys advertised?

precisioncut
12-10-2003, 11:06 PM
my ad said: ATTN: Precision Cut Lawn Care is now accepting clients for the xxxx season. Quality work-Reasonable Prices. Call for a FREE Estimate xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Of course it looked better in the paper but you get the idea. Make it short, simple, and to the point.
Best of luck to ya

grasssin
12-14-2003, 04:14 AM
TIMING IS EVERYTHING WITH FLYERS!!

Remeber that in the spring, I did flyers last year in mailboxes (before I got a call from the local postmaster) and found three different flyers advertising the same thing from rival lcos. Do it early right before it gets warm therefore not getting into competion. Also with flyers and doorhangers most people look at them and throw them away as soon as they see them because they might not need the service at that time. I have learned all this through trial and error and having spent about $1500 on flyers, direct mailing, and door hangers and getting a total of 20 calls from it all. I have now put an ad in the yellow pages to let the callers find me all year long when they need it. Of course this is just in my neck of the woods..........

alpine692003
12-15-2003, 01:24 PM
So you guys don't suggest putting out door hangers in mid Jan'04 / beginning of Feb'04?

I thought that would be a good idea, to get your name out! But I read again, they may throw it away because nobody needs the service at the time?

mikesturf
12-22-2003, 01:24 AM
I would wait until it is late Feb or into March. Personally, I have our driveway sealcoated every spring and if I got a flyer about sealcoating when there was still snow on the ground, I would just throw it out. Its usually a matter of luck and grabing the customer's attention with a good, professional flyer.

tiedeman
12-22-2003, 06:19 AM
go door to door at the business and mail out information to potential residential customers. Make sure when you go door to door bring along literature and information about the company.

Put up business cards everywhere. Perhaps join a chamber of commerce to get your word out that way. Put ads in newspapers. Team up with local business; when they buy something at a business they receive a discount from one of your services. Dare I say spam. Billboard signs