PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Set-up

paponte
10-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Some people wanted to see our setup for cleanups this year, so I took some pics today. Here it is... :cool:

Both trucks,
http://kidquest0.tripod.com/IMAGES/setup2.jpg

Leaf Truck,
http://kidquest0.tripod.com/IMAGES/leaftruck.jpg

Back,
http://kidquest0.tripod.com/IMAGES/setup1.jpg

Not alot in the trailer today, but here's a list of our equipment for cleanups.

2 grnd blowers (10hp & 8hp), 5 bk pcks, 48" Walker, 52" Scag, 2 - 48" Scags, 36" Scag, 32" Lesco, 20hp Giant Vac loader, 11hp Billy Goat loader.

gogetter
10-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Man, that truck holds alot of leaves huh. Nice!
Why the second/smaller loader on there?

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Nice! I like it! Got some more pics of that Giant Vac? Same question about the other loader-whats it for? Backup?

paponte
10-30-2003, 09:35 PM
No, the smaller loader comes off now. We put it on first, so that we can still pull a trailer with that truck. Once were into full cleanups we put the larger on on and run 2 trucks.

Yeah gogetter, she'll hold a max of 25yds of leaves. :cool:

gogetter
10-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Darn, thought maybe you were gonna say that you were upgrading to the larger unit and wanted to sell the smaller one.

I just took a closer look and see that you even have marker lights or reflectors up on the front corners of the box, nice detail.
How tall is the box? I'm jealous.

proenterprises
10-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Hey-Take a close up of the trailer so I can have a little closer look at your blower arrangment.

SWEET SETUP!!!

paponte
10-30-2003, 11:08 PM
I think the sides are either 6 1/2' or 7' heigh. The truck is 10' 4" with the box on. :cool:

Let's see some other rigs on here. Want to see what everyone else's set up is like.

Shuter
10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Nice set-up. I ahev to get pics of mine fopr everyone to see. I have a Billy Goat 16hp mounted on the front of a 6' x 10' dump trailer, with a 5' high leaf box.

Shuter
10-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Sorry typing too fast, I meant to say I have to get pics of my set-up.

Runner
10-31-2003, 12:35 AM
Man, talk about being well prepared for the job! Great outfit!

paponte
10-31-2003, 10:31 PM
Heh, just installed lights in the back, and on the side of the truck today. Gotta have them for those late nights when your stuck out picking up leaves. Nice off road lights. I feel bad for the first person who tailgates me at night! :cool:

MOW ED
11-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Excellent set-up, something anyone who wants to be a PRO should strive for.
I know the picture makes it look funny but it really looks like the tires on the Giant Vac are about the size of a basketball compared to the truck pulling it. I'm used to seeing the big diesel powered units behind the city trucks here.
The only thing you need is something to get the leaves off those trees that you are parked under.
Thanks for posting.

Remsen1
11-01-2003, 02:35 PM
seeing this and the volume of leaves you could carry makes me wonder if anybody does this on an even grander scale? Does anybody use a full fledged garbage truck? That would be the cat's meow, but you'd have to have lots of accounts and many men working for you to support it!

walker-talker
11-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Remsen1
Does anybody use a full fledged garbage truck?When I was looking extensively for a truck for hauling leaves, I came across a few garbage trucks and resonable priced. They didn't look so pretty, but could of been cleaned up and painted. I am sure trying to turn around in a culdasac would royally suck, that and fact I would be an LCO driving a trash truck (projecting a "trashy" appearance) were the two deciding factors not to use this method.

MATT

Rich's Lawn Care
11-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Here's my set-up.

2003 Exmark Lazer HP w/ultra vac
Lesco 16hp loader
Echo pb650 backpack blower

mike9497
11-01-2003, 06:07 PM
not the best pic but you get the idea

exmark lazer 60 with ultra vac
little wonders 11hp blowers
echo bp4600 and bp750T blowers
giant vac 11 hp loader
EZ dumper

paponte
11-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Does anybody use a full fledged garbage truck?

A garbage truck would be way overkill. Even the most compacted shredded leaves would not produce enough weight per volume to need such a large GVW truck. Biggest I have seen for leaves are Internationals with 16' beds. Even then, the GVW's are usually about the same as a larger cab over.

I was contemplating purchasing a larger vac, like the one MOW ED was talking about. I decided to put a plow and sander on the truck instead. Already have a decent size vacuum, and figured I could always get one next year.

Great set up guys! Nice boxes too. Do you guys reuse your boxes?
:cool:

mike9497
11-01-2003, 06:36 PM
my boxes are new this year.i get a few years out of them depending on what i use for wood and where i store them

Rich's Lawn Care
11-01-2003, 06:50 PM
This is my first leaf box so i hope i can get 3 to 4 years out of it.
I made it out of pt plywood so i think it will hold up good.

MOW ED
11-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Here is how I do my pick up,

Just kidding, but I do blow them to the curb and this guy eats them at about 15MPH. I don't know why there aren't more of them out there.

Ricks Z28
11-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Close it, go backwards, Open it , go forward, DONE !!!!!!:D

HOMER
11-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Rick, you must be kidding!

I close mine and go forward first!:D

Remsen1
11-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Mow ED... that's the cat's azz!

Ricks Z28
11-03-2003, 08:25 AM
No, I'm not kidding homer. This year I tried it a different way and it really works. First you send a row of leaves into the ones that aren't chopped up and then close the chute and grind the row right beside the one you just came up. What that does is puts a row of ground up leaves in the row that you just came up, if you know what I mean. Then you open the OCDC and go down the row of ground up leaves and blow them into the area of unground leaves and so on and so on. If you have any questions email me at Ricksz28@adelphia.net and maybe I can draw a diagram and send it to you. It REALLY WORKS.

P.S. I changed the way I did it last year by going backwards first.

mower_babe
11-10-2003, 12:35 AM
Paponte - I fear I will sound like a stupid-head here, but what is that green colored thing on the top right hand side of the back of the leaf box in your second picture. You got me stumped.
:confused:

mike9497
11-10-2003, 12:38 AM
That would be a billy goat leaf loader babe.he was to lazy to take it off before he took the pic lol

mower_babe
11-10-2003, 12:41 AM
ok - I can sleep tonight now. ~sigh~ Thanks.

I am new to this leaf biz this year - just got a Trac Vac that I pull behind the truck. Let's just say that there will be some changes next year in our setup. :(

paponte
11-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Heh, yeah we have 2 loaders. We use the 11hp when the leaves are still light so we can pull a trailer with the truck also. Now that we are getting bombarded with leaves, the 20hp goes on. I was tired that morning, and was too lazy to pull it off. :cool:

spenfire
11-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Nice set up RICH'S LAWN CARE, it looks like you have a dump box on your truck. Do they work pretty well?

mower_babe
11-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Any one else have trouble with the damn thing starting on fire on top of it, b/c of the leaves?

paponte
11-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Any one else have trouble with the damn thing starting on fire on top of it, b/c of the leaves?

Usually means that you have the loader mounted too low. We used to have that problem with our International. It had a drop gate and was too low in comparison to the top of the truck. When it reach a certain point and the leaves were toward the back of the truck they would fall on top of the loader. You have to either mount the loader higher, or put a piece of plywood across the back to prevent this.

For that reason, we have the loader on this truck this season, since the barn doors are so high. :cool:

Rich's Lawn Care
11-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Spenfire, I love it!! it's the next best thing to a real dump truck.