PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Westbrooklawn
10-30-2003, 08:30 PM
How would you approach this one?.....both from a work standpoint and bid.

35 degree sloped bank in front of house, between ditch line and lawn....125' long and 25 ' deep. Currently covered with thick forsythia about 6-7' tall. Customer wants forsythia removed, bank planted with low growing junipers, and mulched.

What's the best way to remove forsythia to insure it doesn't keep coming back up, and what would you charge for the entire job. I have a price in mind, but want to see how it compares.

Thanks for any input!!!!

dvmcmrhp52
10-30-2003, 08:34 PM
I'd spray the forsythia first to kill the roots, then hook up the chain to the truck and have at it! LOL.
Price? I'm too tired for thinking right now..........Sorry.

Westbrooklawn
10-30-2003, 08:40 PM
dvmcmrhp52 - Ha Ha!!....Thanks for the comments....I understand the tired part!!!!

I was considering spraying also......I don't believe you could ever dig all the forsythia roots out to the point they wouldn't come back up. I need to check the label for roundup to see if a concentrated mix would kill forsythia.

Evan528
10-30-2003, 08:55 PM
In my experiences with Forsythia as long as you get the main trunk and the bulk of the root they dont come back. They are not the same as say a crab apple tree that will continue to send suckers up from the ground lond after the stump has even been grinded.

Davo
10-30-2003, 09:02 PM
I need to check the label for roundup to see if a concentrated mix would kill forsythia.

Have you thought about 2,4-D with the round-up? Don't know for sure if it will do the trick, but it is pretty broad, and kills most anything.

Westbrooklawn
10-31-2003, 09:48 AM
Anyone care to give an estimate? I'm looking at around $2800 using hardwood mulch, or, $2050 using pinestraw mulch (around the planted junipers). I do mainly maintenance work, so don't have that much landscape bidding experience.

Help from the landscapers??????

HarryD
10-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Why the heck do they want junipers put in They are just plain ugly IMO

olderthandirt
10-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Thats a pretty steep side hill to run equip. sideways if you have trouble getting forsythia out and have to run up and down hill you have to fix what you tore up. Better find out how hard to remove before bidding it, take a shovel if you have too.
Mac

Westbrooklawn
10-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Ha Ha!!! Harry D - I agree, they are ugly, but..........the customer is always right!!!