PDA

View Full Version : Stripping question

justmjc
10-30-2003, 10:37 PM
I just picked up mine recently so there is little time left to play with it. I know that the unit comes with directions on how to place the height vs the cut height. The question I have is what are you doing to give the best looking visible strip? Just going by the directions or do you lower the roller a notch or two lower? Are you cutting the grass higher and lowering the roller to the lowest setting?

I guess what I'm asking is how do I get that perfect visible strip? I understand the type of grass contributes as well? Any comments?

TLS
10-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Dont know anything about rollers, but if your asking about the best STRIPPING, you need a 3" brass pole, the higher the better, mount it on a stage. This way they can gyrate around it and climb it. Make sure you have nice lights and cheap beer.

Make them work for those $ bills!

Oh, I'm sorry,.....Did you mean STRIPING question.???

Don't know what the directions say, but at a 3 1/4" cut height, my roller is at 1 1/4" off the ground. This allows me a good stripe from a low 2 3/4" up to 3 3/4" without ANY changing of holes. Any lower and it hits too many roots etc. and gouges in corners. I found the sweet spot and kept it there.

bayoulawn
11-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Anyone else?

BSDeality
11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
i think i'd just experiment with it on a customers lawn. change the heights, see what comes out the best.

locutus
11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
TLS, LMAO!!

Cheesedawg1
11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
lol TLS

Ricks Z28
11-11-2003, 08:05 PM
I believe that I can answer your question justmjc, since I'm the designer of the EZ Striper. What you want to do is place your mower deck at the height that you are going to mow ( not in the carry position) but lowered ready to mow and set your roller in the nearest hole setting that will give you between 1/2" and 3/4" clearance from the ground. You don't want the roller to roll on the ground , you just want the roller to lay the grass over , which will give you the stripes. If I can be of any other help just email me at: Ricksz28@adelphia.net

odin
11-11-2003, 08:05 PM
i never mow any lower then 3 and 1/4 inch i set my ezstripper on my lazer hp at a 1/4 inch off my flat surfaced shop floor .

Works for me

TLS
11-11-2003, 10:35 PM
1/4" odin? Thats a bit low, don't you experience deck shake as it often times supports the deck? With mine an INCH higher, I get fantastic stripes, and no gouging on turns, and it allows me to cut as low as 2.5". At 2.5" its almost touching, and I only have ONE lawn that is capable of this setting.

Lawn-Scapes
11-12-2003, 12:09 AM
I also have mine about an inch off the ground when cutting at 3 - 3.5 inches.

kolar
11-12-2003, 01:53 AM
My dealer told me to set it a 1/4" above the ground. These dealers need to learn more about the products the sell. I don't think my dealer knows what a blowout baffle is...

GarPA
11-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Tommy you are sooooo bad.... I was going to do it but you beat me to it...strippers and stripers....now one of those is a salt water fish and the other is like Jessica Lynch...( I'm a poet and didn't know it!!!)..ha

justmjc...be aware of one downside with a striping roller...they do a nice job in open areas...but..if you have a property that has many planting beds and an odd shape, there will be places that you can't help but roll over them more than once to get everything cut....which will look like krap with the roller. For this reason I took off the roller. My Exmark leaves a nice stripe as it is, therefore my roller is now buried in the basement somwhere

TLS
11-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
be aware of one downside with a striping roller...they do a nice job in open areas...but..if you have a property that has many planting beds and an odd shape, there will be places that you can't help but roll over them more than once to get everything cut....which will look like krap with the roller. For this reason I took off the roller. My Exmark leaves a nice stripe as it is, therefore my roller is now buried in the basement somwhere

GarPa,

Please explain this. I havent found ANY downside to the roller. EVER! It has SO many benefits, and NO negatives for me.

If set low (ie 1/4") your going to be gouging the edges when turning, and often times supporting the rear of the deck. It is not meant to do either. Mine came with NO instructions for use, as I was YSM's first paying customer. I haven't had a problem whatsoever with it yet!

GarPA
11-12-2003, 02:24 PM
well then I'm stupid...again...where there are numerous beds, and regardless of how your pattern is, when you do the final pass around the perimters of the beds and the property, it may accent the fact you went over a small area more than once...without the roller, it does not mess up the pattern as much...thats all I was trying to say

TLS
11-12-2003, 02:32 PM
I see,

Well, if I had a yard thats so small and heavily landscaped, I don't attempt to stripe it. And if I do, the bed rings messing up the stripes is just too bad.

But why you would REMOVE such a fine compliment to en excellent mower, is :confused:

There are too many other benefits that I like much more than the striping ability.

Here's just one.....

TLS
11-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Without those gauge wheels there, I am able to trim SO much better around posts like I demonstrated here.

Saves time. Also the ability to ride across berms and NOT scalp in the center is another GREAT feature.

GarPA
11-12-2003, 03:01 PM
a couple years ago when I got the hp52, I asked Hoss about the roller. At the time i could not relate to what he was saying.. he said, and I agree, that he likes the "brushed" look on the grass more then the "rolled" look and I agree.

its a great add on ...I just dont care for it thats all

forgot one thing...we who own Exmark know full well what great stripes they leave ....without a roller