PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the JD Z-traks?

cecilcountylco
10-31-2003, 06:27 AM
I was getting ready to buy a JD 757 z-trak. I wanted a Hustler Super Z, with the top speed (15mph), but I was concerned about quality of cut. Dealer in area (which sells both Hustler and Exmark), told me Exmark was the better ztr, better cut, but this particular model (don't remember exactly: Lazer-Z w/60" deck for about $8400). I have a JD lawn tractor, 4 yrs. old, and then looked at JD ZTRs, since perhaps JD dealer could take my old one off my hands. I was surprised at the price (for JD) for 757: $7299 w/60" deck, cheaper than Exmark, and $200 cheaper than the Hustler. Now I'm reading that the JD doesn't cut as well as the Exmark. Quality of cut is important if you're cutting professionally.
Just how much worse (if at all) is the JD than an Exmark? Does anyone have experience seeing both in comparison?

longviewlawncare
10-31-2003, 06:38 AM
the quality of cut on mine is fine, it throws clippings a long ways. What it lacks is the ablity to stripe as good as some of the other company's decks. It does ok sometimes and then sometimes not. I don;t think you would be dissapointed with the JD

David Haggerty
10-31-2003, 07:32 AM
Some of us here on Lawnsite are looking for someone to buy a new 500 series Toro. They should have the cut quality of an Exmark and the durability of Toro. It has every indication of being the best ZTR ever built.
It's even going to cost more than the Exmark. But I figure if I'm using a tool to earn money I want the best tool available to earn the most money possible. This ain't the time to be pinching pennies. It'll wind up costing you.
Besides that JD tractor won't be hard to sell. You'll get more out of it than it's worth.
You have a rather unique opportunity to jump from what is essentially homeowner grade equipment to some of the best professional grade equipment made.
Even if you don't buy one, could you at least demo one and tell us what you thought?

Dave

locutus
10-31-2003, 08:58 AM
Dont be brand loyal at the expense of your business. A couple of hundred dollars in savings spread out over the life of a mower is nothing. It sounds like you really want to go with deere if enough people can convince you that the negatives arent all that bad. This is not a good approach.

Meg-Mo
10-31-2003, 09:25 AM
Get the JD and put MEG MO blades on and you will strip and out mow all the other mower you have look at. Check post My blades and see the MEG MO blades on the JD.

Pecker
10-31-2003, 02:06 PM
I'm very happy with my JD 757. As mentioned above, I'd put the quality of cut up next to any and you'll see the excellence, but Exmark is known to give better STRIPES. The bottom line is be sure YOU are happy with whatever decision you make. But be sure you have good dealer to support your decision. The best machine in the world is useless if you can't get parts and good service.

Meg-Mo
10-31-2003, 02:25 PM
With MEG-MO blades on a John Deere I believe that your stripes will just as good or better as any exmark with OEM blades. And with MEG-MO's you won't have anymore lumps, clumps and won't have to clean mower deck.

GLS
10-31-2003, 09:20 PM
I own a 757

Your best bet is to go out and demo some ztrs and see what you like best.

About the quality of cut: I know a lot of people say that the 7-irons don't cut good, but I disagree. It leaves a very nice smooth cut, and it does stripe. Not as well as an exmark will, but that is not cut quality, that's just striping effect. You can always put some kind of striping kit on it.

$7300 sounds like a great price. I paid $7500 and I thought I was getting a good deal:)

qualitylandscaping
11-01-2003, 12:18 AM
I have a JD 717 and can't say enough good things about it..
I will post another picture of the stripes from it...

Overall, a great mower

qualitylandscaping
11-01-2003, 12:20 AM
stripes... You can find more stripes by doing a search..

qualitylandscaping
11-01-2003, 12:21 AM
one more..

chefdrp
11-01-2003, 01:09 AM
stripes with 737. 54 inch deck.in the fall

chefdrp
11-01-2003, 01:11 AM
i hate when people say JDs wont stripe.

angus
11-01-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
Some of us here on Lawnsite are looking for someone to buy a new 500 series Toro. They should have the cut quality of an Exmark and the durability of Toro. It has every indication of being the best ZTR ever built.

Dave

My uncle bought one and loves it . If you want his thoughts about the toro pm me i will get you his email address.

Tony Clifton
11-01-2003, 08:11 AM
One thing everybody who is thinking about buying John Deere should know is that they have redesigned their walk behinds and z traks for 2004, they will be redesigning the quik traks for 2005. My dealer told me the walk behinds are 100x better and to wait until February when they come out to buy a new one. As far as the z-traks go I am not sure about the improvements on the larger ones, but I know he said he stopped carrying the smaller ones such as the 717 because he didnt feel they were the quality of product that John Deere should be supplying. He said they were'nt too bad but there were some flaws, however he had a prototype and showed me the improvements. The new z traksare available now or within the next few weeks. I ended up ordering the quik trak (stand up model), I am interested in seeing how it works for us.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
11-01-2003, 09:25 AM
I was at he jd dealer a week ago.. I was looking at there ztr mowers.. they have kawasaki motors on them... same as exmark... they seem well built, except for the deck.. the exmark deck looks better bult. I believe the jd decks are stamped decks....
other than that they seem fine...
nevet actually drove one though...
:dizzy:

Pecker
11-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Chefdrp - great stripes there. From this point on, no one will hear me say that JD can be outstriped. I always said I'd put JD's quality of cut next to any, and now I feel that way about JD's striping ability as well.

Pecker
11-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Here is one of my St. Augustine accounts where my JD 757 is used. (It won't post but I can't erase this).

chefdrp
11-02-2003, 12:30 AM
thanx ------, Who else wants to tell me JD cant stripe?????

Envy Lawn Service
11-02-2003, 01:34 AM
0ryan0,

That's a sharp mower. By chance do you have a picture of the right side with the catcher attached?

GLS
11-02-2003, 01:03 PM
I sure do Envy, here you go.

It's very easy to take off, I don't know how it compares to the ultravac and others, but all you have to do is remove the chute, loosen the belt tensioner and remove the belt from deck (I took the guard off), and pull the unit up. No pins or anything to deal with, the belt holds it on. It only takes like 30 seconds.

GLS
11-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Closer

You can see the the guard in this pic that I removed to make removal/installation faster.