PDA

View Full Version : leaf me alone!

parboy
10-31-2003, 08:21 AM
I was mowing an acount yesterday baggining the leaves when a car pulled up (new mercedes mind you).The guy gets out and waves me over.He tells me he owns a 6 unit apt builing in town and could i give him a price for leaf clean-up.I tell him when I'm finished here I'll swing by.When i get there there are a ton of leaves!I figure it will take me about 3-4 hours and I'm to haul the leaves off site.Fine, I give him a price of $300.He looks at me like i kicked his dog! "forget it i can have a couple of high school kids do it for $6-7 an hour." Iwish him luck and tell him to hire the kids. Now I dont do alot of leaf clean-ups (now I know why) is this what alot of you run into?Did this guy expect me to come with a dump truck and $20k worth of equip and work for $10 an hour? Oh well thanks for letting me vent.

Shuter
10-31-2003, 08:37 AM
I work in a higher-end (price) neighborhood and sometimes deal with that - " I can have a neighborhood kid a lot cheaper, and do the same job...". Then I explain about the professional equipment and taxes and then finish with the insurance question about how is the kid going to fix a broken window with no insurance. That usually changes their mind.

locutus
10-31-2003, 08:40 AM
My Question is: Why didnt he just hire the high-school kids to begin with? Was he hoping that you would do it for less than that? Three to four hours of work @ six an hour. Lets see that a whopping $24.00. It would have been very hard for me not to tell that guy what he could kiss, especially since he wasted my time going over there.

locutus
10-31-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ffshuter
I work in a higher-end (price) neighborhood and sometimes deal with that - " I can have a neighborhood kid a lot cheaper, and do the same job...". Then I explain about the professional equipment and taxes and then finish with the insurance question about how is the kid going to fix a broken window with no insurance. That usually changes their mind. I agree, but this approach works with rational people. There is no way this shmuck was going from $24.00 to $300.00 based on that argument, Plus you dont break many windows raking, which is what I'm assuming these highschool kids would use.

wriken
10-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Did this guy expect me to come with a dump truck and $20k worth of equip and work for $10 an hour?

Yes, I get the same response alot to. All I say is go for it.

PaulJ
10-31-2003, 10:04 AM
If those kids wit rakes take more than a couple days (whick they probably will) he will end up paying more to et the job done, and still have to dispose of the leaves. Some of these cheap aXX customers don't have any idea of what it takes to get a job done.

Currier
10-31-2003, 10:08 AM
.....or the high school kid runs a tree branch through his eye or trips while working there and breaks his leg ruining his possibilities for basketball scholarships or .....

STAN1366
10-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Now how's he going to pay for that Mercedes if he's "giving" his money away?
Just kidding. Some people think we work for free or close to it. Maybe you should have asked him what he thought it was worth. Might be good for a laugh!

maple city
11-01-2003, 12:27 AM
Did this guy expect me to come with a dump truck and $20k worth of equip and work for $10 an hour?

I would have taken the time to explain to him what a dump truck, insurance, employees, equipment, etc. goes for these days.

Let him hire the high school kids. You can go and work for someone who will pay what you're worth.

Rustic Goat
11-01-2003, 02:55 AM
He'll get what he pays for, and a newer Benz next year.

cajuncutter
11-01-2003, 06:13 AM
I hate those types of people. Sometimes I wish them well and then sometimes I point to my trailer and explain I have over 20 g's tied up in equipment and I have to pay my worker, taxes and every thing else:rolleyes: . I ask them if they would like to work for x amount of dollars. I also love to use the plumber analogy.
By the way I have not been on much due to work etc. but hello Rustic. I am in Shreveport as well. I can not wait till the leaves finally fall here.

steve's lawn care
11-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Here is what I do ..use a negative reverse sell...

A) Tell them ..you don't want us.... we are the most expensive in town !!!...but we show up on time...and do a great job ...Now should we keep talking???? Sir we have a minnum for fall clean ups..$100.0??? and then shut up...Works for us

B) we do not work for Doctors or lawyers!!!!! i have been screwed to many Times...Sorry

bobbygedd
11-01-2003, 07:51 AM
why, WHY, why, do we have to justify our fees by telling these iodiots what our overhead costs.when i hire someone to work at my home, they dont give me a breakdown of what thier overhead is. man, this business makes me sick sometimes, its one step above a lemonade stand.

lbmd1
11-01-2003, 08:36 AM
For those type of people, the only way to piss them off is to come back with " well, not everyone can afford the professional services our company provides". This way, you imply that he can't afford you, and at the same time, you get in a back handed insult for having him waste your time.

Mike

parboy
11-01-2003, 08:44 AM
hey lbmd1
like your idea wish i had thought of it at the time...oh well next time. By the way , what town are you in? I'm in epping ,we may be niegbors.

lbmd1
11-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Parboy,
I live in Rye and service Rye, Rye Beach, North Hampton and Hampton Falls. It's Grasshopper Landscaping. The guys with the non-lettered white Izusu cabover, White GMCs pulling Toro Z's. I've seen your truck around town. Nice to see a neighbor on here.

parboy
11-01-2003, 09:37 AM
lbmd1,
oh ok i've seen you around.I'm in the white dodge dump w/ the ex-marks.