PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Expertise

DaveFame
10-31-2003, 02:23 PM
I am responsible for the upkeep of the lawn at my work, my job basically depends on its apperance. The lawn is approx. 4 acres and is on a steep downgrade. I work at an indoor/outdoor concert pavillion and during the summer concert months the lawn holds 18,000 people. I would be fine if the people just would just stand/sit and watch the shows. They do not. They abuse the lawn like I have never seen. Between the dancing and discarded trash, the lawn is 1/2 dirt by the end of the season.

The things going against me are as follow:

- the dirt gets severely compacted to a depth of about 2 inches and the grass can't grow back through.
- the lawn is on a steep downgrade and the run-off fron rain washes off all the seed and product that I place down
- Before I started working thewre, someone though it would be a great idea to throw down truck loads of sand. It has made the soil completely silty.
- There is only days in between shows and I do not have enough time to get it to start back up.

The attached picture is what I can get done with aeration, seeding and stater fert.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EagleLandscape
10-31-2003, 02:49 PM
get a new job:)

BSDeality
10-31-2003, 02:53 PM
cha cha cha cha chiiiiiaaaaa!!!!

Davo
10-31-2003, 04:29 PM
LMAO BS

Could always paint it, Lesco carries a turf paint.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
have u tried slit seeding or hydroseeding u could try the turfblankets they use on golf courses to help in the cold
is there any time at all that people are off it?
big roll sod?
GREEN CEMENT:D

DaveFame
10-31-2003, 04:36 PM
The thought of painting it crossed my mind. But it would turn into a mess when when it rains and I have thousands of drunk kids rolling around and sliding down the hill in it.

Davo
10-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Yeah, i was just joking, couldn't paint an area that size. Sounds like you need to keep people off of it for a while, maybe try annual rye with whatever seed you are using (Fescue?) Or see if they will section off small plots, and rotate the plots when you get a good stand of grass going. Good luck!!

troblandscape
10-31-2003, 05:04 PM
yeah Davo, Keep people off it for a while..... :rolleyes: Its a place for concerts, you can't have concerts without poeple

Davo
10-31-2003, 05:58 PM
trob,
you just figure that out all by yourself? Very good!
How about the week Vanilla Ice plays, should be a good time to try getting grass to grow...

troblandscape
11-01-2003, 12:57 AM
:eek:

Rustic Goat
11-01-2003, 02:52 AM
You need to become real good friends with a sodding supplier.

Team Gopher
11-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Hi Dave,

Here is an article tha may help.

Ohio State Works Fast to Renovate Its Stadium Field in Time for Graduation (http://www.growingtrendslawncare.com/gtlawncare/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=56567)

http://www.gerlok.nl/images/merken/koro/foto1FTM200web.jpg

pcnservices
11-01-2003, 10:55 AM
We have a football field where they applied a 3/4" layer of soft finely grinded rubber compound top dressing and brushed it in. It definitly helped for the muddiness. Water and mud never surfaced through that layer therefore the grass under heavy traffic situations stood up and recovered a lot better and faster than what it did without it.
Good Luck
PC