PDA

View Full Version : how far?

bobbygedd
10-31-2003, 02:32 PM
again, i know we been through this, but id like input from new members as well as old. im trying desperately to expand by adding new clients this fall, and certainly many more in spring. i placed adds in newspapers in 8 different townships. i am now getting calls from as far as 40 minutes away for leaf cleanup. do u think it is worth the investment, provided i have the time, to service these clients(we are talkin now one hour and 20 min travel time) , or should i say we are offering this service only to clients who sign up for lawn service next season(which is what my real goal is, to get work for the whole season in 2004) . any ideas? my adds went in today, i started gettin calls at 11 am. so i now ill get bombarded with calls. i plan to personnaly man the phones sat and sunday.

Moguy
10-31-2003, 02:55 PM
I had a couple accounts that were about a 40 minute drive and it turned out to be a big pain on scheduling. Unless you have weekends or days with smaller work loads, it might not turn out to be the best. If you do end up taking them, I like the idea of offering the service to clients who only sign up for lawn service next year, much better. Best of luck

ElephantNest
10-31-2003, 03:21 PM
Tell them it will be a couple of weeks. Line some up in the same area, or as close as you can. Hit them all at once.

olderthandirt
10-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Bob
If you want to expand you got to travel, there are only so many customer in any given location and when you have them you have to go else where. I don't know how large you are or how large you want to be. but expansion means more customers. Send someone over to do some after you have a few lined up and you decide whether its worth the drive. And if your goal is to offer lawn service nows a good time to get your name in that part of the country Mac

Davo
10-31-2003, 04:38 PM
The only way to expand, is to increase your customer base. Like Elephant says, try to schedule some more in the same area, then price the leaf removal to make some money. If you get enough work for a crew to maintain in the spring, there is your expansion. If there is that many calls for leaf removal, maybe people need a quality scaper there, and will be willing to pay for your travel time.

gogetter
10-31-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Davo
The only way to expand, is to increase your customer base. .

Not necessarily, but that's another whole thread.

Bobby, it depends on how bad you want/need the money. Someone that's busy as hell would turn them down. Someone that needs the work (like me) would take them. It's not like it's weekly maintenance, it's just a one time clean up.
You said you have the time, so why not take the work/money?
Go a little higher on the price to compensate for the travel.

I keep my regular lawns very close, but I travel a bit more for one time stuff like mulch/fall clean ups/etc. If it's going to be a couple hundred bucks or more, as opposed to sitting and waiting for the phone to ring from someone closer by, I'd take the work.

rodfather
10-31-2003, 07:15 PM
expand bobby, expand...that means travel btw for the time being. Later, you can pull in the reins. For now, get the most # of customers to the point that you can cut back at a later date.

your bud...

bobbygedd
10-31-2003, 07:23 PM
well, its not so much i need the money, and traveling for a leaf cleanup is not my idea of fun, but im lookin more towards the future. im thinking if i really am going to grow, ill need to perhaps go out and spend a day in another town or two. the reason for all the adds, the paper i deal with was running a special, i got the additional towns real cheap. so far i got alot of calls, but far away. where the heck is millstone? anyone know? is that by you rod?

sildoc
10-31-2003, 09:11 PM
NO. Well only if you can make a day of it. Or make sure that they know they will be paying for drive time.

Long story short. I had a dream property. One problem drive only one that way. All in all ended up making little I mean very little on it. I did it for 9 months before I told them I had to add in drive time and it raised there per cut price quite a bit.
Yes if you will make money and be worth your time, No because you can add 1 or 2 close ones and make more because less window time and less gas. Good luck.

creativedan
10-31-2003, 10:09 PM
I would pick up the new work, maybe more future work if you do.
I have a town 40 min. away that is three times the size of town i live in and work in and I am trying to drum up new work there.

Pecker
10-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Only if you can line up a day's work there will it be worth it.

ChuckC
10-31-2003, 11:12 PM
I think it all depends on the community. If it is a high end community where you can make a little more than normal then do it.

Rustic Goat
11-01-2003, 03:02 AM
Expanding your biz usually isn't an overnight thing, what is now extra travel time is an investment by your biz for its future.
Control your routes as much as possible, work the satellite accounts in and develop newer accts along your route path. After a season, if you haven't enough to make a particular acct worthwhile, explain to customer why and drop them in time for them to find another LCO before the lawn covers their house.

rodfather
11-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
where the heck is millstone? anyone know? is that by you rod?

Not by me, but closer to me than you...and too far from you in E. Brunswick btw.

bobbygedd
11-01-2003, 07:54 AM
well, if anyone in millstone area needs work, ill gladly refer these folks to you. let me know. i dont know how my adds ended up there.

Turfdude
11-01-2003, 08:12 AM
I don't get paid for windshield time. Our farthest maintenance account is 20 mins away in bad traffic. If you're bidsding a large commercial and can factor in a fee for transportation, then thats another story. Each year, we purposely get more work in the neighborhoods we're already in. Try to line up many in a row whenever possible.