PDA

View Full Version : keep those squirrels away?

EagleLandscape
10-31-2003, 01:53 PM
just did a landscape install job, the owner says hes got a problem with squirrels trampeling the pansies, any ideas? bitter apple spray?

GeorgiaGrassMan
10-31-2003, 01:58 PM
.22?

EagleLandscape
10-31-2003, 02:04 PM
.22? what the heck is that?

GeorgiaGrassMan
10-31-2003, 02:12 PM
a rifle. You're from Texas?

EagleLandscape
10-31-2003, 02:17 PM
HAHAHA, ok i get it now. no seriously, what cna I do. No i dont own a gun, ive never been hunting, but im dying to go, i think my dad is gonna take me this winter.

olderthandirt
10-31-2003, 03:43 PM
traps

EagleLandscape
10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
yes, im gonna trap all the squirrels in the world.

m&m
10-31-2003, 05:19 PM
dunno bout squirrels, but i have used human hair from a hair salon in the beds,,,,keep the rabbits out of beds so i guess it would keep squirrels out too....if that dont work, spice em up,,,cayenne pepper (think thats how ya spell it) sprinkle it all in bed,,,,but i would go with the hair first

m&m
10-31-2003, 05:22 PM
oh, what the hair thing does, is the human scent repels them away

Hamons
10-31-2003, 06:06 PM
Liquid Fence has been my best product for rabbits. Has to be applied every two week though.

mower_babe
11-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Maybe he could have food available elsewhere, like a feeder on a tree in the back or something, to deter them for searching in the front. It would shift their attention, just a thought.

the scaper
11-01-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by GeorgiaGrassMan
a rifle. You're from Texas? LMAO! those texicans aint what they claim are they??

geogunn
11-01-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
just did a landscape install job, the owner says hes got a problem with squirrels trampeling the pansies, any ideas?

can you explain why squirrels would trample pansies?

I have known of squirrels and pansies for the past 45 years of my life and never heard of a hit and run squirrel in a pansie bed. :eek:

I am not saying it couldn't happen, because it is a squirrely world that we live in today.

if problems persist, I'll call my brother for you. he lives in richardson and he has a squirell gun.

GEO ;)

Rustic Goat
11-01-2003, 01:46 AM
This guy can't be a native Texan!;)
You don't have to trap every squirrel in the world. Maybe a dozen, depends on how many family units there are. Trap 'em and take them a mile or so away before releasing.

Hair works but customer may not like the idea, or the looks.

Check with your nursery or feed store for chemical application, be sure you tell them where it's going, and use caution, some chemicals for this are really smelly to humans.

the scaper
11-01-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by geogunn
can you explain why squirrels would trample pansies?

I have known of squirrels and pansies for the past 45 years of my life and never heard of a hit and run squirrel in a pansie bed. :eek:

I am not saying it couldn't happen, because it is a squirrely world that we live in today.

if problems persist, I'll call my brother for you. he lives in richardson and he has a squirell gun.

GEO ;) now i'm really LMAO! and begining to visualize a very determined squirrel (probably wearing steel toed boots) hanging back in a thicket waiting for an unsuspecting homeowner (probably from texas) to leave so he can run up there and trash his pansie patch. ha ha ha ha ! look folks, if your biggest concern is a squirrel trampling pansies- it's time to put out some flyers!! ha ha ha ha LMAO:D

pinnacle
11-01-2003, 05:07 AM
Go to a Barber/Hairdresser and get a bag of human hair.

I use gloves and a mask when I'm spreadingother peoples hair in bed areas.

Looks a little wierd untill it's settled...............Bita rain and sun and ya won't even notice it.

I did one property around the fence line and still no rabbits 8 months latter!
Should work for squirils too.
Good luck with the glorifide rats.

HacMan91
11-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Have the owner buy a cat and leave it outside, no more squirrels.

Team Gopher
11-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Here is a possible idea. Click image for link.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/images/icon_small_critters.gif (http://www.critter-repellent.com/squirrel_repellent.htm)

" Enjoy complete squirrel control for your lawn and garden all season long with this 100% natural Squirrel repellent."

the scaper
11-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by HacMan91
Have the owner buy a cat and leave it outside, no more squirrels. no, but then that cats probably gonna be curling up napping and waiting for squirrels in the pansie patch. i would go with the .22 or mabey the gopher spray. i dont know about the gopher spray but the .22 would be work on squirrels or cats:gunsfirin

TRex
11-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Try some moth balls. I know they work for snakes and other little rodents. Actually an exterminater buddy of mine uses them on his own house to get rid pests.

EagleLandscape
11-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Yes, I am a native.

Originally posted by Rustic Goat
This guy can't be a native Texan!;)

TRex
11-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Tell them J. Don't Mess With Texas.

bob
11-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Problem solved! http://www.ehowa.com/story/show/media.html?image=launchsquirrel.wmv