PDA

View Full Version : help- creeping bent

matth
10-31-2003, 07:27 PM
help.... creeping bent is taking over my rye grass lawn. it looks ugly because it is too light colored. How would i go about getting rid of it? Thank you for any help

Matt:(

KenH
10-31-2003, 07:50 PM
Roundup, then till/thatch and reseed.

pinnacle
10-31-2003, 10:45 PM
There will be a "Selective Herbicide" that will target the Bent grass without harming the Rye.

There are 100s of them on the market .

I don't deal with the grass's that you mentioned (In Australia) but I KNOW that there will be a Selective Herbicide that will take care of this.

Don't do what KenH said.........................There are better ways to deal with these issues.

Round up n over sow........Phhhh............you gotta be kidding.

lbmd1
11-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Matt,
we too are having a big problem with bentgrass overspreading on a large number of properties we maintain including our own. It does loook terrible to the passing eye. I had read somewhere also that one of the chem companies were experimenting with a product select herb that would target bentgrass but have found nothing to date. As soon as someone locates it, let me know!

Mike

GroundKprs
11-01-2003, 08:55 AM
If you are working with bentgrass invading bluegrass, I have found that the bent can be significantly slowed by a vertical tine type powerraking in early spring. The raking tears up a good amount of the bent stolons that have started to spread last fall. This gives the blues a chance to recover, because blue starts active growth in springtime well before bent (in my area).

Ten years ago I killed off solid patches of bent in one lawn, and sodded those spots. For the following 7 years I managed the property, the spring raking prevented the bent from forming patches again, even though it existed throughout the lawn.

And sorry, Pinnacle, there is no selective for bentgrass control at this time. What a shame you haven't had the fun of worrying about bentgrass. Would you like me to send you some? :D

johnhenry
11-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Creeping Bent is the most wicked grass you can come across.There is no chemical to kill it out without killing the rye.Do What Jim said is the best way I know of to control it and always keep a eye out for it.I have a creeping bent front lawn and it is the most rewarding and trying lawn you can have

KenH
11-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by pinnacle
There will be a "Selective Herbicide" that will target the Bent grass without harming the Rye.

There are 100s of them on the market .

I don't deal with the grass's that you mentioned (In Australia) but I KNOW that there will be a Selective Herbicide that will take care of this.

Don't do what KenH said.........................There are better ways to deal with these issues.

Round up n over sow........Phhhh............you gotta be kidding.

I think an apology is in order....:p

You give me a name of a 'selective' Bentgrass killer, I will apologize to you. In the meantime, do not speak of which you do not know.:)

Relly
11-01-2003, 12:37 PM
I am not aware of a selective bentgrass herbicide either (which does not mean there is not one out there). There are some that are selective for use in a bentgrass turf...but that is not what we are looking for is it?

With my 12 years experience with seeding lawns, I agree with KenH. I usually schedule 2 Glyphosate treatments (Roundup or prosecutor). I want to make sure I kill the area. If it is a localized area, spray the area of bentgrass and out from it a fair distance (another 3-6 feet). Pay particular attention to areas where it butts up against pavement. Sometimes it seems to creep back in due to roots that were creeping under the pavement.

Any ways, kill it, then kill it again. Now start from scratch...prep soil, power seed, keep a look out for it in the future. Jump on it immediately from there on out so as to keep from having to redo entire lawn over.

pinnacle
11-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Ok......Ok...............Sorry KenH.

I still find it hard to belive (not saying your wrong)

I have never come across a lawn that I can't chemicaly rid unwanted weed/grass from.

Until know I guese.

Groundkprs: By the sounds of things I definatly don't want to you to send me some.................Thanks anyway:D

Next time I hear somone asking a question about a turf type I aint familiyer with I'll leave it be. Its just, as I said I have NEVER come accross a lawn I can't chemically rid unwanteds from.

matth
11-01-2003, 11:09 PM
thanks so far for the help

Runner
11-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Whatever you do, (Glyphosate), you are going to have to do it ATLEAST twice. RThe reason being, is that bentgrass is a prostate type growth plant. It spreads by rhyzomes, and what bentgrasses are so well known for, is their spreadding capabilities. So, even though you kill off the entire area, unlike other turgrasses and plants that the glophosate translocates though the plant systemically, bentgrasses have entire parts of the plants that don't get affected. Therefore, have to be done again at a later time, after they re-tiller.

CSRA Landscaping
11-04-2003, 02:49 PM
This may be a little off, but are you sure it's not poa annua? I've noticed that will pop up in rye yards.

matth
11-05-2003, 08:57 PM
im not sure it does how do you tell the difference

hoyboy
11-08-2003, 11:45 AM
Just a thought, but we take care of several bent grass properties and can't use Trimec because it will kill the bent. Try using it on a good hot day and maybe it will work for you...don't use too heavy or you could kill your desirable grass as well.

Dan

GroundKprs
11-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Not gonna kill your bent for sure, hoyboy. But you will surely stress and/or discolor it. 2,4-D and other broadleaf controls are usually labeled to use half rate on bent.

But the best wipeout of bent I ever saw was a TG/CL app on a hot August day. Wish I knew the chem, concentration, and the exact environmental conditions - would be great to duplicate that one.

CSRA Landscaping
11-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Poa annua is kind of what I think of as the crabgrass of the off-season. It tolerates low mowing heights, is a bunch grass (not a runner), grows with a little lighter color than per. rye and gets greenish white seedheads on it. It produces seeds very quickly.

Clay
11-09-2003, 08:11 PM
LOL... Very :cool: and diplomatic there Ken!!! applause (the sound of one hand clapping :-)

Please let me know when there is a selective bentgrass herbicide... It is a huge problem on the northwest coast... and I've tried the Trimec tricks, but no go.... It's a lot like trying to rid fescue of unwanted bermuda down south... No matter what you do the unwanted bent or bermuda eventually returns...

Later, Clay