PDA

View Full Version : grass for dog park?

mikeklein
10-31-2003, 11:36 PM
I am going to be taking care of a local dog park next year.It is in the planning stages now.they asked me to evaluate the sites current grass and determine what type of grass would be best for heavy traffic(dogs and humans).the current grass is mostly KY bluegrass,Rye,Fescue.The person in charge of this suggested maybe Zoysia.If Im not mistaken,you cant just seed that,it has to be plugged,right?The site is approx. 2 acres.If I decided to go with Zoysia,would I have to go in and tear up all the old grass and start over?Personally I think the current grass would work fine along with regular fertilizing,but I have never worked on a dog park.Any suggestons would be helpful.

pinnacle
11-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Not knowing your conditions or climate (I'm in Australia)
I would go with "Plantation Tall Fescue"
*cool climate grass
*Fine, Dark Green, High preformance.
*Ranked #1 out of 129 Tall Fescue varieties tested in NTEP trials.
*Grown in Full sun at different nitrogen levels
*Grown under heavy traffic with excellant results at Mead, NE
*good recovery times

Phishook
11-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Kentucky 31, verry durable

Kingbman1
11-02-2003, 02:53 AM
I have zoysia and theres brown spots from where my dogs pee, so i dont know if that would be such a good idea.

David Haggerty
11-02-2003, 03:59 AM
We're in the heart of the bluegrass belt and they're considering Zoysia? I'd consider it...consider it a noxious weed!

I'd think the indigenous ground cover would work OK. I'd expect difficulties though. Wouldn't different dogs get into pissing contests? I dunno. Never been to a dog park. I was going to go to a new one in Jacksonville, but it wasn't open yet.

I'd try to develop a "sports type turf" with a lot of course sand drug into aeration holes. Keeping the surface porous so whatever happens can leach down into the soil. Just from what I've seen in dog pens. But like I said I've never been to a dog park. Probably depend a lot on the amount of usage and how the dogs behave while they're there.

I know those dog parks are getting popular. I think for the one in Florida you had to make reservations.
Good luck with it.

Dave