PDA

View Full Version : Diesel engines

GTLC
11-01-2003, 12:28 AM
i have searched for other posts on this topic but I cannot seem to find any on this topic. I was wondering what the advantages of diesel engines on a truck are.

olderthandirt
11-01-2003, 01:37 AM
After owning 4 of them since 96 I'm wondering the same thing myself?

Tx Firefighter
11-01-2003, 11:44 AM
The minimum mileage I have ever gotten pulling my loaded trailer is 18 mpg. Unloaded, I touch 21 mpg occasionally, 20 constantly. Also, with the trailer in tow, I can out accelerate any gas truck and trailer I've ever come across.

olderthandirt
11-01-2003, 01:58 PM
18 on the highway 1 time, otherwise 12-14 mpg,all the power I ever needed but I can get that with gas. maintenence is expensive, cost is extra $$$ Only good point I can think of is they run forever.

Grassmechanic
11-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
maintenence is expensive, cost is extra $$$ Only good point I can think of is they run forever. Huh? there are no plugs, wires, distributor to maintain. The only basic maint. is oil changes, other than that, injectors and pumps are comparable to maintain on either gas or diesel. My diesels consistently cost less to maintain than any gas engines I've ever used. And in some parts of the country, fuel is often cheaper than gasoline.

landscaper3
11-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Ditto on what grassmechanic wrote. We primarly run mostly diesel learned OVER the years they save us tremendous amount of money! If your a local jumper and dont put more then say 15,000 miles a year and trade or sell 2 years get gas but we put over 30k on each truck pictured, haul skidsteers, sanders and plows in winter (together loaded) sander and plow weight is around plus and gassers dont dont do as well as the diesels. Thats why you dont see big rigs running gas engines NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE! better mpg we get 5-8mpg over our gas jobs, hands down out pulls our 454 and 460 big blocks and even the V10's. But like I siad if you just puddle jump by the gasser and save some up front cash. We pay 12cents less for diesel with that and 8mpg better save thousands of dollers yearly.

landscaper3
11-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by landscaper3
Ditto on what grassmechanic wrote. We primarly run mostly diesel learned OVER the years they save us tremendous amount of money! If your a local jumper and dont put more then say 15,000 miles a year and trade or sell 2 years get gas but we put over 30k on each truck pictured, haul skidsteers, sanders and plows in winter (together loaded) sander and plow weight is around plus and gassers dont dont do as well as the diesels. Thats why you dont see big rigs running gas engines NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE! better mpg we get 5-8mpg over our gas jobs, hands down out pulls our 454 and 460 big blocks and even the V10's. But like I siad if you just puddle jump by the gasser and save some up front cash. We pay 12cents less for diesel with that and 8mpg better save thousands of dollers yearly.

Randy J
11-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Upsides: better fuel economy, longer life, better resale value
Downsides: more expensive to buy, noisy & smelly (of course most diesel owners love the noise and smell - I know I do!)

Randy

Brickman
11-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Randy J
Upsides: better fuel economy, longer life, better resale value
Downsides: more expensive to buy, noisy & smelly (of course most diesel owners love the noise and smell - I know I do!)

Randy

Yup Randy thats why I straight piped mine. :D:D

But now I'm tired of the noise :angel: :angel:

HarryD
11-03-2003, 02:00 PM
thats why you just crank up the tunes a little louder Brickman ;)
Another plus:) you get a 4 year 100k warranty on them from the factory

Brickman
11-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Well Harry I like to listen to country and since my hearing is FUBAR I don't listen to the tunes too loud. But I do crank up Wave on Wave pretty loud. :D

The SP makes a back ground rumble that can get really annoying after a while.

My Warranty was up in less than 2 years. :angel:

olderthandirt
11-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Ok I should pointed out I don't put the miles on that a diesel deserves. But change oil, 3-1/2 gal, filter $10 fuel filter $27 air $16 thats a lot of expense Like I said I've owned 4 since 96 all powerstrokes and they all suck in the MPG catagory. I don't mind the noise as I don't notice it. I had plenty of gassers and big blocks pull as well as a diesel in a pick up. Remember these are pick ups not semis, there only rated to tow and carry so much. and I've had my gasser way over loaded and still did not have any trouble 2 ton in bed and 12k on trailor. Will I buy another diesel? probably, but only becouse I don't like the gassers that are offered now. [give me 76 or 77 460 and I'll out pull any of your diesels that are made today] So it comes down to how much you want to spend on your engine choice and as I said I'm not sure if you take everything into consideration if a diesel in a pick up has many advantages. Mac

Brickman
11-03-2003, 06:01 PM
.................[give me 76 or 77 460 and I'll out pull any of your diesels that are made today] .................Mac

Well dude until you produce your gasser that will tow this size of load at 75 MPH down the interstate even on some hills I wouldn't be too sure. :D:D:D

mdb landscaping
11-03-2003, 06:46 PM
hey Brickman.....where have you been? havent seen you posting as much anymore. i miss bickering which is better, chevy or ford:D you still hauling cars for another company?

Brickman
11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Hi Matt

Geez dude do you really have to ask??????

ITS FORD OF COURSE. :D:D

I hauled cars on my own thru the end of 02. Worked for another company till April. Was unemployed for about a month and a half. Drove truck pulling a belly dump trailer hauling sand and gravel and a flat bed trailer hauling hay until about the first of Oct. Unemployed AGAIN. Now I am trying to get on the sheriff department here. I have physical test saturday. Its hard getting in shape after truck driving. :(

Brickman
11-03-2003, 06:57 PM
I have been giving the liberals a bit of grief off and on. :D :angel:

Randy J
11-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Olderthandirt, buy a Dodge/Cummins - the filters don't cost near as much, you'll get much better fuel mileage, and you'll never ever again say any gas engine can pull with a diesel!:)

Sorry Paul, just had to do it!

Randy

Brickman
11-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Which filters you talking about Randy???

I can post links to prices if you want. PSD prices not that bad. :D

Grassmechanic
11-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Randy J
Olderthandirt, buy a Dodge/Cummins - the filters don't cost near as much, you'll get much better fuel mileage, and you'll never ever again say any gas engine can pull with a diesel!:)

Sorry Paul, just had to do it!

Randy Randy - you took the words out of my mouth!:D

A1 Grass
11-04-2003, 12:45 AM
Passing other trucks - Pulling a trailer - UPHILL - with throttle to spare!

Brickman
11-04-2003, 12:55 AM
Bring it on A 1. When I was hauling cars there were no Dodges, Chebies or other Fords that would even attempt to pull with my PSD.

And Randy you do remember that I wish I could get a 12 Valve Cummins in a Ford. The Didge body is not offset enough by the motor. For one the driver seat KILLS my back.

I guess I'll have to go to Mexico or Central America to buy me a Ford with a cummins. :D

cantoo
11-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Diesel disadvantage, the noise. The last two days in a row I have startled deer when I drive near my stand. Tomorrow I'm taking the minivan. And my wife whines about the early morning rattle alarm clock outside the window.

Brickman
11-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
hey Brickman.....where have you been? havent seen you posting as much anymore. i miss bickering which is better, chevy or ford:D you still hauling cars for another company?

Hey Matt I had a Duramoss with Banks kit TRY to keep up to me today. Didn't happen. :D:D:D:D

rob1325
11-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by cantoo
Diesel disadvantage, the noise.

The new diesels are very quiet. I have a 2003 Dodge cummins and sounds like a gasser. The new diesels today are very quiet.

AGLawnCare
11-04-2003, 11:42 PM
i just got a 2004 GMC 2500 diesel and i was wondering if you guys leave your trucks on if you are just getting out for 10-15 min?

Brickman
11-04-2003, 11:48 PM
AG I have left mine on a lot longer than that.

A diesel burns very little fuel at idle.

Lawnworks
11-05-2003, 12:15 AM
I think Dodges have a superior engine in them. I have one dodge 3500 w/ 250k and not a drop of oil on the driveway. On the 94-98 models you can adjust the hp up to 30-45hp from stock w/ a few turns of the wrenches. Dodges are also known to get great gas mileage, usually around 20 mpg. I also have a hotrod cummins/dodge that puts 613hp to the ground w/ twin turbos. The possibilities are endless w/ cummins.

rob1325
11-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Lawnworks, You are right about Cummins. I have a 1994 Dodge cummins and I bought a TST plate for it (which you prob know already) and now I have 305HP and 610 Torque. I also have a full auto DTT Tranny in it with Billet input shaft. That was the greatest inprovement. I plan on putting a bigger TST plate to make more power to accomany my tranny. My 2000 F550 with 7.3 PSD can't even keep up with me when we both pull trailers.

olderthandirt
11-05-2003, 06:54 PM
OK Guys I tell you how to get power from your powerstrokers
I just drove one that was converted back to internatinal specs. the guy worked at INT. for yrs. and knew what to do. It was freaking unbelievable the power & speed this engine put out. He said he doesn't want to do anymore it was just something he wanted to do for himself, But everybody got a price and I'm gonna find his! I just Gotta have this done!!!!!!!

Mac

Brickman
11-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Quickest way is a power chip.

I have a Bully Dog on mine.

Go to www.powerstrokeregistry.com and order their mag. There you will find a wish list as long as your arm. Go fast goodies and other fun stuff.

cantoo
11-05-2003, 08:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by cantoo
Diesel disadvantage, the noise.

The new diesels are very quiet. I have a 2003 Dodge cummins and sounds like a gasser. The new diesels today are very quiet.

What me buy new? My wife would have a heart attack. I buy used at municipal auctions. This is Big Orange after I put a flat bed on it. 1993 chev diesel don't ask me the motor size I never even opened the hood my wife does that job. It was around Can$4000 on the road.

Brickman
11-05-2003, 08:27 PM
GM diesel of that year would be either a sick.2 or a sick.5.

Probably the sick.5

olderthandirt
11-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Brickman
Quickest way is a power chip.

I have a Bully Dog on mine.

Go to www.powerstrokeregistry.com and order their mag. There you will find a wish list as long as your arm. Go fast goodies and other fun stuff.

Achip just changes the computer setting what I was talking about goes way beyond a chip and air and exhaust.

Brickman
11-05-2003, 09:36 PM
From the mag I recomended you can too. Injectors, pistons, turbo and the list goes on.

I have heard of guys spending $10,000 on a engine rebuild. At that point there is nothing on the road in its class that will touch them. :D:D:D Not even a didge. :D

jsr2741
11-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Yep, Brickmans right. You'd have to spend about 10k to get a PSD to make the power that a Cummins makes at half the cost.:D

No argument intended though. As a matter of fact I'd be in a Ford now if they'd offer the Cummins engine. But like their 6.0, they'd probably find a way to mess up the Cummins.

Lawnworks
11-05-2003, 10:25 PM
rob1325

Hey man if I were you I would just grind your plate down a little w/ a bench grinder. TST plates are too much!! In my hotrod dodge the camplate is out! Man I bet that f-550 is sweet, but the torque of a cummins is amazing!

Brickman
Ummm not to be mean or anything, but 7.3 powerstrokes will never be able to accomplish the power a 5.9 commins. Go look at the dieselstop and ask them about it. The powerstroke guys will admit that for crazy hp you need a cummins. Powerstrokes are topping out at about 500-550 w/ nitrous and propane. Cummins 5.9 have dynoed 763hp w/ NO nitrous or propane. The most dynoed I have heard w/ nitrous is around 850hp. Mitchell and Schieds(cummins sled pulling trucks) are estimated to have about 1000-1300 hp. These truck have near 200 lbs of boost. Powerstroke is a great engine just not high performance. As far as chips go, TS Performance burns custom chips to what you need. Might want to try them sometime.

jsr2741
11-05-2003, 10:53 PM
I have the Edge Comp, more Hp than I'll ever need.

olderthandirt
11-05-2003, 11:06 PM
????? since Ford owns part of cummins why don't they use it?

rob1325
11-05-2003, 11:16 PM
????? since Ford owns part of cummins why don't they use it?

They don't own Cummins at anymore. Plus dodge has contract till 2007 to be only one to offer them in a pickup.

jsr2741
11-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Hey Brickman, you asked earlier about prices on filters and whatnot. Here's what I pay for the Cummins filters.

Air Filter (I dont use) $16.95

Fleetgaurd fuel filter $12.95

Fleetgaurd stratopore oil filter $8.75

" Standard Oil filter $5.95

A1 Grass
11-06-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by rob1325
Lawnworks, You are right about Cummins. I have a 1994 Dodge cummins and I bought a TST plate for it (which you prob know already) and now I have 305HP and 610 Torque. I also have a full auto DTT Tranny in it with Billet input shaft. That was the greatest inprovement. I plan on putting a bigger TST plate to make more power to accomany my tranny. My 2000 F550 with 7.3 PSD can't even keep up with me when we both pull trailers.

TST plate? Can you explain? I'd like to do whatever I can to hop-up my '92 Cummins (not too expensive) without hurting the MPG. Any ideas?

olderthandirt
11-06-2003, 09:21 AM
So the advantages of a diesel are, if your willing to spend up to 10k you got one bad azz pulling truck that stinks and is noisy!!!! LMAO

Mac

Lawnworks
11-06-2003, 12:24 PM
A1
Check out the turbodieselregister.com or dieseltruckresource.com You have a different fuel pump that is on the 94-98 models. I am not familiar w/ your pump, but I know there are ways to hop it up to 230 hp to the rear wheels w/ practically spending nothing.

Potchkins
11-10-2003, 05:05 AM
check with geno's
for your filters

GTLC
11-18-2003, 10:30 PM
How much longer will a typical diesel engine last when compared to a gas engine?

Scag48
11-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Ford with a Powerstroke will tow anything. I like driving my dad's Ford just for the noise, the turbo sounds so badass when you get up to about 1,800-2,400 RPMs. Gotta love it!

Tx Firefighter
11-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by n1alx
How much longer will a typical diesel engine last when compared to a gas engine?

Cummins says that the engine will usually average more than 400 thousand miles before needing any attention.

There are a good number out there with a million miles with no engine repairs done. Depends on usage and maintenance habits.

98rammer
11-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by A1 Grass
TST plate? Can you explain? I'd like to do whatever I can to hop-up my '92 Cummins (not too expensive) without hurting the MPG. Any ideas?

as said above you have a different injection pump (the rotary VE pump) http://www.tstproducts.com/89-93_power_trial.htm there's some directions on upping the fuel. you may want to think about a smaller exhaust housing for better spool up and i highly recommend guages as you don't want to burn down your motor if your EGT's are 1500*+

btw, i love my cummins and the looks of the dodge, but the ford beats a dodge in ruggidness i'd say.

Ford with a cummins? been done- MADDOG his last #'s were 806hp on #2 only (no NOS or propane) with a twin turboed 12valve cummins.:blob2: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=22745;start=0

Tom

98rammer
11-29-2003, 04:17 PM
oh yeah, that's WHY you get a diesel engine;)

(plus a straight piped cummins sounds like a dump truck on steroids):D

bob
11-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Power and good fuel economy are 2 good reasons to choose diesel over gas. Also diesel engines are easier to maintain. There are no spark plugs,coils, and a few other gas engine parts. After I bought my Duramax, I traded my gas Gator in for a diesel one. Then the next ZTR I bought was diesel. It's diesel for now on for me!

ProMo
11-29-2003, 10:42 PM
I recently purchased an 01 dodge is this thing supposed to shut down hard when I turn it off it shakes and then the belt squeeks real loud like it has a ton of compression on shutdown?

98rammer
11-29-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
I recently purchased an 01 dodge is this thing supposed to shut down hard when I turn it off it shakes and then the belt squeeks real loud like it has a ton of compression on shutdown?

yes, the 24valves especially takes longer shutting down. there's so much compression that the motor stops before the belt and accessories do.

one thing i highly recommend is a fuel pressure guage for the 24valve diesel. unfortunately, the electronic lift pump fails too occasionally which can "starve" your injection pump and kill it. keep good pressure on the injection pump by changing out lift pumps and you shouldn't have to worry about injection pumps.

unfortunately, as good as diesels are, everyone has its qwerks. my 12valve could have had a possible issue with the "killer dowel pin", but i took care of that. the powerstrokes have cackle and fuel knock. the older IDI's have glow plug breakage problems. the 6.5's have injection pump failures. the duramaxes have tranny problems and some injector problems. the new 6.0's have a bunch of problems that are getting sorted out. most if not all these problems can be solved.

basically: none are perfect, but with a fix here or there, they'll run hard for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Tom

Potchkins
11-30-2003, 12:43 AM
the allison is having trouble?

EagleLandscape
11-30-2003, 12:56 AM
haha, my diesel will out pull anything else out there under one ton. ive got 560 ft lbs of torque. and thats the stock number. if i bombed out my engine with a chip, god knows what else it could do.

ProMo
12-07-2003, 09:27 AM
I finally put my second tank of fuel in and only got 11.9 mpg this was 1 week without trailer and 1 week with the 7x14 enclosed. this doesnt seem as high as others are getting is there anything I can do to improve it truck has 40k miles.

98rammer
12-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
haha, my diesel will out pull anything else out there under one ton. ive got 560 ft lbs of torque. and thats the stock number. if i bombed out my engine with a chip, god knows what else it could do.

well, i'm not going to get into an argument here, but yes, the ford STOCK will outpull anything on the road unless your pushing 30k pounds up the hills. however, MODIFIED, the cummins wins hands down:D (though a chip on the new 6.0's and duramax's will make them go pretty fast for a quick upgrade :blob3: ).

Potchkins- yeah, the allison is having trouble. they had programming issues, but other than that they seem to be a good tranny. however, a guy i know has had problems with his--and his friends have problems with theirs too (mostly programming). it's a good transmission, a lot better than these stock dodge pos's, but it's not built as tough as the real allisons (world 6 speed autos, etc.)

Promo- that's not bad towing. however, not towing that's way low. how does power feel? have you checked fuel pressure and the fuel filter? www.dieseltruckresource.com (dodge diesels- free to join).

Tom

ProMo
12-07-2003, 03:10 PM
power seems ok except for when I tried to floor it yesterday w/o trailer it hesitated for a couple of seconds there was nothing then it started to move the mpg is about 2-3 better than my f150 was getting

98rammer
12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
especially stock, there's going to be some "hesitation" which is the turbo spooling up. modifying it with injectors and/or fueling boxes will help is to spool up faster (adding more low end and mid range fuel, and smoke). however, the hesitation which you are talking about may not be normal.

changing the fuel filter may help, they're suppose to be changed every 12k i believe---i do mine every 15k.

*check your fuel pressure*!! get a fuel pressure guage if you can. it's very important on the 24valves. the stock carter lift pump does more pulling than pumping. couple that with its bad design and it's destined to die. minimal fuel pressure should be 8psi under a load and around 14psi at idle. at 40k miles, the lift pump could easily be dead even causing the injection pump to pull the fuel into a vacuum under a load. the injection pump (VP44) is cooled and lubricated by the diesel fuel. hence when it's not getting enough pressure, or any pressure for that matter, from the lift pump, it's not getting lubricated and cooled off enough. then it dies. then there's your $1500 bill for a reman/new one plus another new lift pump at about $130 (get one from cummins, not dodge!!)

while there is no prefect solution to the lift pump problem, there are some things you can do. install -8an fuel lines which, with the stock lift pump in good shape, will hold good fuel pressure up to 350hp. over 350hp and you should add a second pusher pump with the bigger fuel lines.

just because you hear the lift pump running, doesn't mean it's not bad.

www.wildcatdiesel.com

Tom