PDA

View Full Version : Ok, searched and still unsure about the exmark multching kit performance.....

justmjc
11-01-2003, 01:42 AM
I have an apartment complex that wants a leaf clean-up. I wanted to go with a mulch kit but I'm not sure if the unit is going to perform as well as I'm hoping. I'm running a 20hp kohler with a 52" deck and I don't want to chase leaves around nor leave huge piles of remains. I at first was thinking about bagging.

Will this mulch kit really cut the leaves up like the way I'm hoping they will? Or will I be disappointed? I really need to know if I should mulch this complex or bag it. I believe there are only a few places that are heavy with leaves, the rest are pretty thin. Any advise? Is the unit worth it? I don't want to mulch and then bag on top of it. It's one or the other.

the scaper
11-01-2003, 02:06 AM
i have a 52" 25hp with a mulch kit and it works great. i dont know about the 20hp but i would think if it leaves (no pun intended) any debris in the heavy areas you could just lower the deck a notch and run back over it.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
11-01-2003, 09:31 AM
I have the mulch kit for my 52 23hp lazer.. it works very well. if the leaves are heavy you have to go over them a few times. I just prefere to use the ultra vac and bag them. Ultimately I find with heavy cover of leaves it looks better if its bagged....
but the mulch kit works very nicely otherwise......:D

jsr2741
11-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Had the same concern myself. I went ahead and bought one and used it for the first time yesterday and it did a good job.

NoWalk4Me
11-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Justmjc, I run a SuperZ w/ 60" deck and a mulch kit as well. No interest in a manufacturer debate...just a little comment (I love the Lazers also...just not a close dealer). From what I've seen my Z has a very similar deck to the Ultracut and gotta' figure that mulch kits probably work very much the same on both. That being said, I just mowed a heavy cover of maple leaves yesterday late and even though they were a little damp it really chewed them up. As far as chasing leaves there were a few here and there but by the time I was finished w/ the lawn more than that had already fallen from the trees. I did double cut directly under the trees to really make the debris disappear. Neighbor asked when I finished where I had piled the leaves and where was my blower or bagger. He couldn't believe the results. Also, I'm not educated as to the acidity,etc of different trees but I'd think that the ground up leaves would serve as a source of nourishment for the turf unless it was so heavy as to "choke" the undergrowth. Also, this eliminates the disposal of the leaves and the time involved for that as well as dealing w/ the bagger altogether. If a yard is heavy w/ oaks, etc and you can hardly see the turf I'd probably go w/ the bagger. Hope this helps but keep in mind this is just one redneck from NC sharing his experience.

David Haggerty
11-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by justmjc
I don't want to mulch and then bag on top of it. It's one or the other.

Sure you can. If you mulch them first, 90% of the leaves disappear into the lawn. Then if it has to look perfect you just have to bag the few stragglers or any visible leaf dust.
That's what I do anyway. It really cuts down on emptying the catcher and dealing with the amount of leaves you collect.

But I don't have a ZTR that I would have to convert from mulching to bagging. I only bag with my 36" WB.

Dave

Bigfoot
11-01-2003, 08:40 PM
I got the mulch kit on a 60" laser, works great in leaves. I do double cut in heavy leaves with the deck set higher on the first cut.

DieselDeere
11-01-2003, 09:25 PM
What blades do you use?

Pat Daniels
11-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Have the mulch kit on a lazer z. Cut the piece off that covers the chute. I mulch maybe once or twice what ever the conditions dictate. Put the bagger on and you would be surprised how much it cuts down on the debri in the bagging system

PRO PROPERTY CARE
11-01-2003, 10:54 PM
hey pat daniels
You left the muclh kit on , blades and baffles. But you cut the piece out that blocks the chute.. what about the piece that divides up each blade into a seperate chamber...

Shady Brook
11-01-2003, 11:14 PM
I think alot of your success depends on how many leaves, how dry, what type, and whether or not you have any grass growing at the time you mulch. I find that if the grass is still growing some it leaves a much cleaner appearance as the grass and leaves grind together. If you are trying to make a large quantity of leathery oak leaves disapear you will have a hard time. Ok, an impossible time really. Running over them and then bagging really reduces the volume, and leaves a great product. It all depends on how perfect you want it to look. You may be better off to run a shoot blocker like an ocdc, in the leafy areas, and then quickly bag up the remains if need be, that way you can sort of mulch, and bag with the same mower if need be.

Jay

MacLawnCo
11-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by justmjc
I have an apartment complex that wants a leaf clean-up. I wanted to go with a mulch kit

There is only one way to do a proper leaf clean up. BAG it. no ifs ands or buts. You are doing your clients a disservice by trying to mulch their leaves. Give them what they want, but make sure to charge accordingly.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
11-01-2003, 11:35 PM
I have to agree with mac... I think bagging is the better job....
Arent oak leaves bad too leave on the grass. I could be wrong .
A few leaves mulch.. a complete clean up .. bag them...

HarryD
11-02-2003, 12:10 AM
An exmark with a mulch kit works awesome get one and see what your missing it is worth the $$$

I have to disagree. Mulching is not doing a disservice to my customers all they want is the leaves gone and they could care less how its done. I myself mulch the leaves weekly till they are all down then I will do the final cleanup with some bagging.

DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
all leaves are not the same so what mite work for one mite not work for another. In my area almost all trees are ash or silver maple and they shred to dust with a mulch kit