PDA

View Full Version : Immigrants

Green in Idaho
11-01-2003, 02:10 PM
From Europe.

Anyone hiring LEGAL European immigrants from the poor countries like Albania, Bosnia, and others? Local hotels and resorts hire a lot around here.

Sounds like an alternative to Mexican workers.

ProLandscapes
11-01-2003, 03:58 PM
I would definitely hire them if I could get ahold of them. If you get a link or any info, pass it on.

Josh

TRex
11-01-2003, 04:45 PM
I don't know where these immigrants would be any differant than hispanic immigrants.

Green in Idaho
11-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Josh, I don't have any info at this time. I just came up with that since the initial Wal-Mart news, everyone thought it was Mexican immigrants,,, and now the news is reporting the Euro immigrants as a major issue.

TRex, different in the perception from the customers.

Right or wrong--- there are many customers who have biases toward Hispanic workers. From a distance one can't tell the difference between Joe the neighbor kid and Joe the Bosnian...

Additionally most Mexicans love to work here but are hesitant to learn the language. Euro immigrants often know some English, and are anxious to learn more- that's my experience.

My consideration would be Mexican culture is VERY favorible to farming and working "with the soil". THAT would be a favorable trait in Euro immigrants too, but I dunno know if they are so....

Turf Medic
11-01-2003, 05:39 PM
At my full time job we have several Bosnians working for us. Extremely hard workers, but it is hard to find someone that can interpret for us. Most of the high schools around here teach some Spanish so you can easily find someone with enough of the language to get the point across, no one is teaching Bosnian, plus they have about 3 different languages in their own country. You have to be somewhat careful who you hire, they have some very deep seated cultural/religious differences in their country and it can sometimes erupt here (between the Bosnian workers themselves). But like I mentioned they are very hard workers and worth the effort, we found our workers through Catholic Social Services. The ones that I have working for me tell me that they don't have lawns in their home country like we have here, and didn't understand the whole mowing thing.

Green in Idaho
11-01-2003, 07:11 PM
yea, I don't suppose one would want to make the mistake of hiring a Christian Bosnian and then hire a Muslim Bosnian. Mower blades turned into body machetes in the name of ethnic cleansing right on the turf..... ikes!

Good points.

Turf Medic
11-01-2003, 09:06 PM
It can get that bad, a friend of ours was dating a Bosnian guy and one night when they were at a bar they ran into another Bosnian guy, they were like old friends slapping each other on the back and such. Then when they actually got started talking they realized that their people had been enemies in the old country. The proceeded to beat each other half to death, cops were called, both were hauled off to jail. Didn't know each other but had problems with the others religion or something.:dizzy:

Rustic Goat
11-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by TRex
I don't know where these immigrants would be any differant than hispanic immigrants.
They don't usually speak Spanish.:D