PDA

View Full Version : Are Jungle Wheels really worth it?

Cheesedawg1
11-01-2003, 05:32 PM
After my first year in the business. I am deciding to get Jungle Wheels (the two wheel ones) and a Redmax 7001. I do not feel like spending over $800 for these two items. So I am thinking about not getting the two wheel sulky. Is it really worth it meaning will it save me a lot of time? What about all the knee and back problems I hear? Will be hard to control?

Mr Lucky
11-01-2003, 05:42 PM
I really like riding a velky. I have a zero turn, but I like a walk-behind. I have a one wheel on one and a two wheels on another. The two wheel rides better but the one wheel turns better. I am a 230 pound man and I think that is why I do not like the one wheel one as much. But one of my friends that is much small than I am, likes the one wheel better.

chuckwk
11-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Yes, they are worth it... I can't remember exactly but I think increase in production by at least 25%.... I'm sure one of the full time pro's here can correct me if I'm wrong.

battags
11-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Get the wheels......

B

locutus
11-01-2003, 06:14 PM
I use them both. I have the velky x2 two wheel by wright mfg. I had looked at the jungle wheels first, but they weren't built as good, in my opinion and with the velky x2 I didn't have to buy an adaptor blade to bolt it to my mower.It is easy to control and turns are not a problem.I have LESS knee and back problems since this purchase. I used to barely be able to walk after a long day due to my back. No more. As far as the blower is concerned, I just didn't realize how much time I'd save on leaf cleanups with a more powerful blower. There is a world of difference between different makes of backpack blowers. I cant really say which one I could do without. Its a choice I wouldn't want to make.

MacLawnCo
11-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Im getting rid of mine. They do NOT increase productivity on my metros....4 gear either way. The killer is that i believe the jungle wheels to be the culprit of rutting. Sure, i leave them off when its super wet, but over time they are having their effect. Slam me if you choose, but mine are gone...most likely for good.

locutus
11-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Mac, my velkie increased my productivity due to fact that I can mow in 5th sometimes and 4th all of the time. When I was doing all that walking I couldn't do it in 4th all day long,Especially in 98 degree summer heat. Zero rutting problems with mine, this could be due to differences in our areas.

Cheesedawg1
11-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Speaking of you not wanting your wheels..... do you know a good place any of you guys know a good place to purchase a used pair of those Jungle Wheels? I know the retail is $295. Anywere else cheaper?

ElephantNest
11-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Ebay.

I would NOT consider owning a WB without a Velkie. No chance. Once you try one, you'll never want to walk again. My first few years, I didn't even know they were optional, just thought it was part of the machine. lol

MacLawnCo
11-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Ebay.

Once you try one, you'll never want to walk again.

Opinions are like butholes, everyone has one. Yes, they have their places, but not on my residentials. They dont save time and we dont mind walking...infact i like the exercise. I have gotten many a client because we only use walkbehinds, and we dont ride behind them. Its all about perception, and once a client is convinced the ztrs and velkies are bad for their lawns (It only takes on ignorant LCO to give them this impression), i move in for the bank. cha ching

ElephantNest
11-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Well, I stay the Hell away from people like that, so no worries here. I also have some small residentials. You're telling me a velkie won't save time? BS! I don't care what size yard. If it's big enough for a WB, then it's big enough for a velkie. If you want your customers, who are ignorant to our ways, decide what you use, then I feel sorry for you. Yes, there are some you can't convince.... and these are the ones I walk from. Different stroke...I guess.

~Nest

lawnman_scott
11-02-2003, 12:32 AM
So, the conclusion is that yes they will save time, and lots of it. As far as getting them used, try maclawnco, mine are about worn out from five or six years of use and abuse.

MacLawnCo
11-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
So, the conclusion is that yes they will save time, and lots of it.

How can you guys say that? Do you have time studies that say so, becuase i do have time studies that say they dont. I realize that I am talking .25-.75 acre lawns, but still i see NO time savings.

locutus
11-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
How can you guys say that? Do you have time studies that say so, becuase i do have time studies that say they dont. I realize that I am talking .25-.75 acre lawns, but still i see NO time savings. We dont need any freaking studies! There is no better teacher than experience. Day in and day out , I am infinitely more productive with my velkie. If I were mowing a bunch of mudholes I might have a differeint opinion. No amount of anecdotal evidence on your part, negates the vast body of evidence on our part, that these devices are real time/labor savers.:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

MacLawnCo
11-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by locutus
No amount of anecdotal evidence on your part, negates the vast body of evidence on our part, that these devices are real time/labor savers.:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

So, are you saying that my numbers lie?

I dont see how doing a given lawn in 25 mins with a velkie is any more productive than walking a lawn in 25 mins. How is that more productive? All my studies have shown this....there is no time saved by using velkies. There may be less fatigue, but with enough conditioning (staying in shape) it will be a non issue.

I can see that during the summer when it dries out, for 3 weeks or so that you may be able to get a "satisfactory" cut while increasing your speed, but all my lawns are irrigated and properly fertilized and therefore never slow their growth which never alows me to go an faster or gives me a need for a velkie.

Im not arguing that you are wrong, but most people fall victim to believing their way is the only way, and im just trying to show you that there is two side to every coin.

chuckwk
11-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Mac...

Not saying your numbers lie... maybe you just don't know how to use your equipment properly, your lazy, or maybe your using belt drive mowers? (kidding on the lazy part, but if you look anything like you mom (picture of avatar?), you will have a hard time doing most any physical activity.... KIDDING, again!).

Its only logical that riding along on a set of wheels would increase productivity. You turn 100% faster, you can only walk so long but you car stand/ride much longer, you can't walk as fast as these ztr's can mow.

There is just NO way that you can sit there with a straight face and say this equipment does not increases productivity!

chuckwk
11-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Also... I'm guessing your numbers would certainly be right considering that numbers are your expertise... and since you've been cutting grass and running a business for quite some time (4 years) you understand your equipment.... So, you must be using belt drive mowers? In this case, I would understand your numbers because I yanked my jungle wheels off my belt drive mower cuz they were more harm than good. (IMO)... turning was a hassle and the belt drive mower was not nearly as fast as the hydros so walking them made no difference.

landscaper3
11-02-2003, 04:25 PM
We have the Toro Tru-Trc sulky, way above the others, back up without getting off and each are indipendent. My friend fabbed one on his 61" Scag and loves it After he panted it orange!

MacLawnCo
11-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Chuck,

you are correct. mowers are belt drive metros. We will be walking until i decide to purchase standers.

The lady in question happens to be a result of some late night net surfing through www.uglypeople.com

Cheesedawg1
11-02-2003, 04:33 PM
chuckwk

Why are your Jungle Wheels bad for your belt drived walk behind?

MacLawnCo
11-02-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Cheesedawg1
chuckwk

Why are your Jungle Wheels bad for your belt drived walk behind?

Thats another reason im ditching mine. On one of my wbs, it trashed a peerless 5spd...sure its only $300 to replace, but still id rather use that $300 elsewhere.

J.Gordon
11-02-2003, 04:35 PM
I have Bullrider on my W/B but if the Jungle Wheels are like the Bullrider you will save a lot of time! And if you think you can keep up with me walking behind your mower, I invite you over and prove it. (Because you canít period.) But this will be no postage stamp yard either.

Cheesedawg1
11-02-2003, 04:47 PM
What do you guys like better....... One Wheel or two wheel...... I do all small residental lawns around my way. No commercial or anything too big.

locutus
11-02-2003, 05:01 PM
chuckwk

Why are your Jungle Wheels bad for your belt drived walk behind? Not trying to answer for chuckwk, but with a zero-turn walk-behind you could potentially get the velkie in a "pinch" or "bind" due to its tight turning radius. A lot of people with zero turn wb's like a castoring velkie. Less twisting and turning of your body and possibly less turf damage.

J.Gordon
11-02-2003, 06:15 PM
What do you guys like better....... One Wheel or two wheel...... I do all small residental lawns around my way. No commercial or anything too big.

This is what I prefer DM-1 Bull Rider Sulky http://www.trimmertrap.com/Sulky/sulky.htm
But a lot of reliable LCOís like the pro slide.

chuckwk
11-02-2003, 06:50 PM
I used 2 wheel riders.... use a hydro unit with a set of wheels then use a belt drive with a set of wheels.. you will understand what I mean.

Detailed LawnService
11-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Buy the jungle wheels, keep them greased ,watch your prodution go up at least 25%.

Cheesedawg1
11-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

WayneRI
11-02-2003, 09:56 PM
With smaller, belt-drive mowers on real small lawns there probably is no advantage to a sulky. My yards are typically 15 to 25000 M sq. ft. I mow at up to 7 mph with my Lesco 52" hydro with a Kawa. 19. Ive learned to make fast, tight turns by reversing the inside wheel at the middle of the turn. I used to walk these lawns; I make 25 to 30% better time now.
P.S. my sulky of choice is the "Proslide". No wheels to leave marks, smooth over rough ground, and very comfortable to stand on.

lawnman_scott
11-03-2003, 12:05 AM
How can you guys say that? Do you have time studies that say so, becuase i do have time studies that say they dont. I realize that I am talking .25-.75 acre lawns, but still i see NO time savings.

yes, its called a watch.

MTR
11-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Im getting rid of mine. They do NOT increase productivity on my metros....4 gear either way. The killer is that i believe the jungle wheels to be the culprit of rutting. Sure, i leave them off when its super wet, but over time they are having their effect. Slam me if you choose, but mine are gone...most likely for good.

#1. 2-mode Bullrider
#2 jungle jim's jungle wheels
#3 Wright's x2 Velke

The three are the best in market. I use 36" Metro with Jungle wheels and my productivity increases like day and night difference from when I was walking behind, besides the 'stripe'... never ever going back cutting behind without sulky again. Chasing Metro on 3rd and 4th gear (can't walk on 5th gear) just two corner residentials done and my legs, angles, joints, heels screamed!, shirt soaked and sweating like pig, but once on jungle wheels, my energy conserved and wanted to cut more lawns...so we are the opposite here. Love to ride on wheels all day long...
ps: I am not crazy too much chasing behind on feet a 450 + lbs machine, let alone loading and unloading it....just a different experience.

best regards,