PDA

View Full Version : Working for my Neighbor

Ray & Karen
11-01-2003, 07:54 PM
I learned a valuable lesson today. DO NOT WORK FOR YOUR NEIGHBORS. OK, now I feel better!

locutus
11-01-2003, 07:56 PM
O.K. what happened?

olderthandirt
11-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Just the fact that there neigbors says enough!!!

troblandscape
11-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Or friends or family..........

locutus
11-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Just the fact that there neigbors says enough!!! you're right. I just wanted the details. I once got the shaft from my neighbors, but I think it was more of a mis-communication thing. I didnt pursue it in order to keep things peaceful. Our kids play together etc. I wont mow for them anymore though.

crawdad
11-01-2003, 08:14 PM
I let 'em know right off, I'm good, but I ain't cheap! Hey, this works pretty good for relatives, too.
Crawdad

Ray & Karen
11-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Before I moved in, my neighbor mowed his grass once every two months or so whether it needed it or not. I have done tons of work, very cheap helping him get his back in order. He doesn't work. He sits in his garage smoking cigarettes all day and watches his grass grow, and is even kind enough to let me know if I miss a blade of grass while mowing. His yard has become his obsession now that it looks nice. He is the micro manager from hell. I aerated, and overseeded about 3 weeks ago and it has yet to come up in full force. He looks at other established lawns and compares his to theres, and once to know why his hasn't come up. I tell him to be patient, and water. I came in today to see another LCO areating and overseeding. I was disappointed, even though I was doing his for peanuts, I felt as though I failed. Then he didn't want to pay me, because the grass hasn't come up. He paid the other guy $100 to aerate, overseed and fertilize, which made me look very bad, because I charge much more than that as a standard price. Anywho, I decided it would be best if I did not do anything anymore. Just frustrated to live next to your own persanal PITA.

locutus
11-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Ray & Karen
Before I moved in, my neighbor mowed his grass once every two months or so whether it needed it or not. I have done tons of work, very cheap helping him get his back in order. He doesn't work. He sits in his garage smoking cigarettes all day and watches his grass grow, and is even kind enough to let me know if I miss a blade of grass while mowing. His yard has become his obsession now that it looks nice. He is the micro manager from hell. I aerated, and overseeded about 3 weeks ago and it has yet to come up in full force. He looks at other established lawns and compares his to theres, and once to know why his hasn't come up. I tell him to be patient, and water. I came in today to see another LCO areating and overseeding. I was disappointed, even though I was doing his for peanuts, I felt as though I failed. Then he didn't want to pay me, because the grass hasn't come up. He paid the other guy $100 to aerate, overseed and fertilize, which made me look very bad, because I charge much more than that as a standard price. Anywho, I decided it would be best if I did not do anything anymore. Just frustrated to live next to your own persanal PITA. I know exactly what you mean. My next door neighbor is the most pathetic waste of skin known to man. He has the same problem as your neighbor. Never thinks his lawn needs mowing. This mensa applicant managed to blow up three new mowers in six months. One was two minutes old when it blew because he decided the quart of oil that came with it didnt need to go in it. The other two blew up because they were 3.5 hp pos's that weren't meant to cut foot and a half tall grass. Finally some other neighbors and myself put the screws to our h.o.a. to do something about this turd. The people that have the contract to mow our common area's are comming out this week to mow for him and the association is going to put a lein on his house. I hope this awakens the few neurons he has left floating around in his vacuous skull. There I feel better now.;)

walker-talker
11-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Neighbors, friends and family....always a touchy situation. Always tried to avoid that, but it's hard....seems I always give in.

cantoo
11-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you need to add a night time application of weak roundup to ensure the success of his new grass.
;)

GrassBustersLawn
11-01-2003, 09:50 PM
A ROUND OF APPLAUSE to LOCUTUS for the first use of "Vacuous" that I've seen on this forum. You are raising the bar pretty high for future posts! :) ;)

FYI:
(Per WEBSTER'S - vacuous - emptied of or lacking content. Marked by lack of intelligence. Stupid.)

Mike

Cheesedawg1
11-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Another thing I am learning is ..... I shouldnt treat my customers like friends...... Its just bad for my business.

locutus
11-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Hey grassbusters, I'll take that as a compliment-thank you. I'm surprised that at 40 something I can still remember a highschool vocabulary word and use it in it's proper context.

Shuter
11-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Same can be said for family.

GrassBustersLawn
11-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Hey LOCUTUS - At 40 something I can hardly remember High School, much less vocabulary. Now where the H@LL did I put my cell phone? :rolleyes:

Mike

bob
11-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Been there, done that, http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=4074&highlight=neighbors

olderthandirt
11-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Cheesedawg1
Another thing I am learning is ..... I shouldnt treat my customers like friends...... Its just bad for my business.

My friends in the constuction biz and had his own co for almost 20 yrs. He made friends with all his customers, went drinking, they would come over to his place and party all week end. His dog bit once to often tiny little scratch and the dude sued. Ins. would not pay lost so much time running to lawyers & court and finally lost in court, that he had to declare bankruptcy. This dude lost it all. Biz,tools home and his wife divorcing him. But its his fault. CUSTOMER ARE NOT FRIENDS

HOMER
11-02-2003, 12:18 AM
My neighbor just left a little while ago.

Handed me a check for $200.00 for aerating and overseeding his front yard.

He's not gonna water it........I just know he ain't............the fact remains that I did the work and the results are in his hands.

I know it's not the smart thing to do (working for neighbors) but he asked and I told him what I would do......he then asked for a price and I told him. He thought it would be higher than that .

Heck......that was a hard hour of labor!!!

Dr. Mow
11-02-2003, 12:48 AM
ray and karen,
be sure to apply a pre emergent to your neighbors yard so none of those weed seeds come up.

Ray & Karen
11-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Homer, I agree with what you said, but the fact remains that you'll have to see your neighbor on a daily basis, and if he's anything like my POS neighbor, the only thing he'll want to talk about is why his grass isn't growing. Best of luck to you.

ccwmlw
11-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Sometimes I feel sorry for my neighbors because their lawn mower quits on them all the time, but then I remember how the patch of grass in between our diveways look when they cut it. They like to scape their yard, and I like a few inches. So when they cut the middle after I have it for a month there is patches of dead grass until I cut it again. They have never seen a patch of dead cut grass in my yard, but they still leave it.

pcnservices
11-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Cheesedawg1

I veto this one - always maintain a professional relationship instead. They appreciate and respect your business and you more for what you are and what you do.

LawnsofWilmingtonLLC
11-03-2003, 02:35 PM
20 yrs in the car biz and I never did business with friends neighbors, or family. Not worth the headaches.

Southpaw
11-03-2003, 04:10 PM
This mensa applicant

You forgot to applaud his reference to this esteemed society as well. Very well done, my Triad area friend!