PDA

View Full Version : dealers don't like manual transmissions

pottstim
11-01-2003, 09:17 PM
My local Chevy dealer has a Silverado K1500 LB with the 5300 V8 and auto trans. It has tilt, cruise, cd, a/c, tow pkg, and locking rear diff. The MSRP was right at 26,000, and with the dealer discounts and factory rebates the sale price is $21,100. My current truck is a 2002 Silverado 4x4, and I love it. But, It is only a V6, and I would really like to have more power. I dropped by the dealer on thursday to talk to the salesman who is a friend of mine. He told me that the sales manager/owner will not keep anymore full size/manual transmission equipped trucks on his lot. As soon as he gets them in, he wholesales them. So, he said that I would get lowballed on my trade. He said, "let me call this wholesaler I know and see what he will give you for your truck and come back and see me tomorrow. I went back on friday afternoon and he said you aren't going to like what I have to tell you. He said he wouldn't touch your truck for anything over $11,200 just because it had a 5spd. My truck is like brand new with only 16,000 miles! We looked up NADA, and the trade-in value was around 14,900. Retail was 18,000. I thanked my friend for checking around and told him I would just keep what I had. Has anyone else run into a situation like this when trading? Here is a picture of my truck, which was taken last month. I'll be darned if I will give it away for $11,200.:dizzy:

pottstim
11-01-2003, 09:19 PM
here is the truck

pottstim
11-01-2003, 09:23 PM
here is another. don't know why the first is so blurry

MacLawnCo
11-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Im in a similar situation, and i have just decided to run mine into the ground....however long it takes

Randy J
11-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Looks like a nice truck, I'd keep it. Or you could sell outright. Many people out there perfer manual transmissions, and you might find the right buyer.

Randy

olderthandirt
11-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Anymore people spending 25-40k on a truck just don't want to shift. I don't, If the tranny goes it will usually give signs while under warrenty. Try selling it yourself to nice to give away

pottstim
11-02-2003, 01:38 AM
I have thought about selling it outright, but it isn't something that I've thought about very seriously. Two weeks ago, I was approached by a man in his 60's at a gas station. He said that is a nice truck, do you want to sell it? I told him that I'd never really thought about it, but maybe I would for the right price. Once he found out it was a stick, he said he couldn't do it, he had to have an auto. That seems to be the case for most people these days. I believe I will keep it for a while. This evening I ordered a set of bed rail protectors for it.

Woody82986
11-02-2003, 01:53 AM
I guess it is just me, but I find it funny that Chevy keeps a majority of their 4x4's at the exact same height as their 2 wheel drives. It just kinda looks funny sometimes. Every Ford or Dodge you see has some more height to it. Just an observation. Quite a few people here in TX prefer the manual. I do. I drive an automatic now but I still prefer the manual. It gives me soemthing to do, so I am not just sitting there!

PaulJ
11-02-2003, 02:07 AM
This reminds me of a book I read. This father was teaching his daughter how to drive and told her to never trust a man who drove an automatic. I know when I was looking at trucks I had a hard time finding a stick. I did find a ford with a inline six and 5 speed. I prefer to drive a stick shift, especially in a truck.

riches139
11-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Ford for 2004, doesn't have a stick option in their f150s.:realmad:

nelbuts
11-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Man I don't know.......... your truck looks pretty rough to me.
Maybe I can take it for around 12 K LOL :D

Keep what you have it will serve you well. I bought new a 196 Z71 and have 227,000 miles on it. The longest I have ever kept any truck. Just bought a Chevy 2500HD 2 wheel drive long bed extended cab. Hope it lasts as long as my Z.

MTR
11-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Give your 5 spd to me...I got to drive stick, hate that auto tranny.
Many reasons, dealers don't like to stock manual cause they hardly make money out of it regarding either ends. Besides the stick is so simple to take care and hardly breaks down like auto tranny which always, 'always' have things for you to repair after 100,000 miles. Auto tranny whinny-leaky...on and on. That is good to know so I can get cheap stick spanking late model truck (like one cash payment take all) that dealers had them wholesaled. Keep coming down.
My uncle has a 91 F-150 with over 300,000 on stick shift (2 times clutch replaced but still original tranny and engine), I doubt you can do that miles on an auto tranny.

olderthandirt
11-03-2003, 03:54 PM
After a certain age you don't want to shift. Driving isn't fun anymore it's a chore and you want to get it done with the least amount of work. And I seen plenty of autos with 2-250k on them with No problems. READ the manuals the auto can tow alot more that stick.

pottstim
11-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by nelbuts
Man I don't know.......... your truck looks pretty rough to me.
Maybe I can take it for around 12 K LOL :D

Keep what you have it will serve you well. I bought new a 196 Z71 and have 227,000 miles on it. The longest I have ever kept any truck. Just bought a Chevy 2500HD 2 wheel drive long bed extended cab. Hope it lasts as long as my Z.

Glad you like the truck, nelbuts. Today, the bed rail protectors came in, and I put them on this evening. They look really good. After taking the weekend to think about it, I've decided to keep the truck for the forseeable future.

Sauls1686
11-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Don't manuals last a LOT longer????????

I won't buy ANY vehicle that is not stick.....

EagleLandscape
11-09-2003, 04:11 PM
yes manuals last alot longer because you control the downshifting and a manual wont jump from 3-4 while towing, you make the decision:)

Randy J
11-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Sauls1686
Don't manuals last a LOT longer????????

I won't buy ANY vehicle that is not stick.....

Not necessarily. Depends on how it is used, and how it is taken care of. For continuous heavy towing, I don't think you can beat a manual - unless you pour a lot of money into an auto for aftermarket goodies. As Olderthandirt said, there's an awful lot of autos out there with plenty of miles on them. But they probably weren't used to tow continuously and heavy. For lighter towing, or infrequent towing, just service with a good ATF on a regular basis, and it'll be ok. Of course, you can spend $2000 - $3000 on upgrades and an auto will tow heavy right there with a manual.
If you prefer a manual, than stick with it. May come a day when you're tired of shifting though.

Randy

BOSS MAN
11-10-2003, 12:28 AM
One of our company trucks is a 95 GMC auto with 210,000 miles on it. we bought the truck in 2000, with 100,000 miles and the only problems we've had with it was we had to replace the water pump ( the plastic intake fitting rotted loose ), and the alternator. The thing drives perfect, no rattles or noises, and we use it daily for hauling around our ford tractor.

Bigfoot
11-10-2003, 08:03 AM
I prefer a manual transmission also. Pottstim, you might want to consider a a HD 2500 when you do decide to trade. It is great for towing & it's trade-in value should be good with a manual transmission.