PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FC 85 purchase

greasy_gun
11-01-2003, 11:16 PM
any you guys n gals help me to find a good online site to purchase a stihl fc 85 stik edger please?

the stihl dealer does not carry these, and told me he wont order either.........why?->cause they are not used much and his only brand he keeps in stock (weedeater) is a much better unit for the money.

thanks for any leads

btw=called russos in chicago, and they cant ship to my area due to distributor rights

Mowingman
11-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Save your money and buy some other brand. I have that FC 85, and it is not worth a darn in my opinion. It leaves grass uncut all along whatever edge you are working along. My guys will not even load it on the trailer. It has set in the shop most of the last two years. I am going to buy a trimmer head, and convert it to a trimmer.
I would suggest you look at a RedMax or a Shindawi instead.:(

GLS
11-02-2003, 12:29 AM
I disagree with Mowingman, I love my fc85. How exactly does it not cut the grass, or a better question may be, how would a redmax or shindaiwa cut it but not the stihl? I think they all use the same blade:)

Sorry, I don't really have an answer to your question greasy_gun. You couldn't find any other dealers nearby that carried/could order one? I know there are hundreds of dealers in my area. One of the dealers had one in stock, but the others had no problem ordering one. I don't know what the dealer would be out by ordering one?

olderthandirt
11-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Suggestion contact stihl rep or co. and report dealer for not ordering you one. Bet you get one real fast Mac

Also let them know he's pushing weed eater brand over there's

MacLawnCo
11-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Jeff, stihls as trimmers suck too. I cant wait to get my Mauriama back running.

lawnman_scott
11-02-2003, 12:55 AM
i cant tell you how to get one, but when you do, you will see that they are better than weedeater by a longshot. I would go to stihl.com and tell the story, you can email them from the website, that should help you get it. ps, dont get shin(fisher price)diawa.

J.Gordon
11-02-2003, 01:13 AM
Got the same kind of Bs from a new Exmark dealer said he was not going to order any for stock. So I e-mailed Exmark and told them about the dealer, then bought a Hustler. (Never got a reply from Exmark)
I would let the dealer know he lost a good customer Stihl should can that guy

Scotlawncare
11-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Stihl products can not be sold via web as new. Dealer will loose his license to sell stihl if this is done. Stihl corp wants dealers to sell only to be able to service what is sold locally.

On the fc85. it is an awsome edger. Any blade edger will leave grass if it's thick. only a weedeater will get it all. I run both the fc85 edging and the fs85 weedeater too. Love them both but there is a place and time for both to be used.

Scot

odin
11-03-2003, 03:07 PM
I love mine great piece of equipment for me.And a 8 point blade on makes it plum awesome

65hoss
11-03-2003, 03:51 PM
I've been running the FC85 for several years. No problems and the edger is very powerful.

o-so-n-so
11-03-2003, 09:24 PM
I bought a used one that looked brand new for $250.00. The owner was a LCO and he said it was to slow for him. Not yet regret the purchase and it is a great piece of equipment.

later

KerryB
11-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Have to say it has been an awesome investment. No problems at all.
If you have a dealer that thinks weedeater brand anything is the best, you should find another dealer.

MTR
11-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Mowingman
Save your money and buy some other brand. I have that FC 85, and it is not worth a darn in my opinion. It leaves grass uncut all along whatever edge you are working along. My guys will not even load it on the trailer. It has set in the shop most of the last two years. I am going to buy a trimmer head, and convert it to a trimmer.
I would suggest you look at a RedMax or a Shindawi instead.:(

Been using FS 85 R and KM85 R and attachments this full season, have to say they are the best investment after eXmark mower. In fact, the Stihl engines are very powerful which leave nice clean cut edge on both sidewalks and flower beds. They fire up after secon pulls all season long, have not done or changed air filters, just mix 50-1 and fire up!
I think uncleaned edge is from blade, if blade is shot or eaten up too deep, you won't have a clean edge... I 've gone through over 100 of them this season.
If you don't want Stihl, Redmax is second choice, forget others.

CSRA Landscaping
11-04-2003, 07:26 PM
Jack, have you even used that thing? I'll bet I never have an edger that clean! (Besides leaving the dealer's) ;)

broken leg
11-04-2003, 08:33 PM
I called my dealer today about a stick edger. I have allways used a edget but have hired a new man realgood one 15 year experance. He said he could go faster and better with a stick edger. Said he liked a Shin. better then stile because of the depth adjustment. called dealer and he was out of Shin. but had new stile straigh shaft in stock. What would youall do. I can get parts faster for stile Mid alant syile is in my town.

GLS
11-05-2003, 12:39 AM
broken leg -

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the depth adjustment, but on the stihls, there is a guide wheel you can adjust. I assume it is probably the same on a shini.

I personally would go with the stihl. Here's a pic that shows the head of the unit. Notice the big flap...keeps ALL dirt and other debris off of operator.

broken leg
11-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Thank you I am going by today and look at one

Runner
11-05-2003, 07:51 AM
Also, with the Stihl, it doesn't clog up like all the others. in damper conditions.
MTR, - I was going to say the same exact thing about the blade being worn This is the ONLY time it ever leaves stringers behind if properly used. I think alot of it has to do with the operators. I can make my Lazer not cut so well, too, if I wanted to.