PDA

View Full Version : who has a formal business degree?

MacLawnCo
11-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Out of curiosity, who has a four year business degree? Anyone have anything further? Do you think that the degree has been usefull in your career? In two years, ill graduate with my masters in accounting, and am just wondering if anyone else will have similar schooling.

Frank2
11-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Mac.....I have a b.s. in business....majored in entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises. Have to say without a doubt it has helped 100 times over w/ running the biz.
What are you going to do w/ the masters in accounting? CPA??
If I think I could ever get back in the school mode (test taking,etc) I would love to go back in get a masters in accounting.

MacLawnCo
11-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Frank,

im going to get the CPA, but im not sure what i want to do with it. When my lawn business is to the point to where it can run itself without me (5 years away max), i want to either start my own accounting firm...aimed at the corporate clients or do the standard income tax/financial planning business aimed at the individual citizens. Not sure yet, but time will tell.

How did you like the entrepreneurship program? Miami offers an excellent minor here, but it would tack on an extra semester...im very temped to do it. Think its worth it? Has it been beneficial to you?

Frank2
11-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Mac. One extra semester for a minor in entrepreneurship...I would say it is a nobrainer....just for the fact that you already own one business and someday may own your own cpa biz...can only help. My entrepreneurship program was great...was even able to write a business plan on my landscaping business for a project senior year.
Best of luck w/ it bro.

Barkleymut
11-02-2003, 01:35 AM
BS in Biz Admin. with minors in Marketing and Advertising. It's certainly helped with business concepts the most. Having a basic grasp on Economics and Accounting has also helped.

Never had much of a clue on Quantitative Methods though. Anyone really understand that stuff??

geogunn
11-02-2003, 03:00 AM
hey mac...I understand the question about a biz degree but what about us lawn genuses that that weren't smart enough to get a biz degree and got a degree in something else?

GEO:)

Ray & Karen
11-02-2003, 07:35 AM
B.S. in Aeronautics, with a minor in aviation safety and a minor in business here. Half way through my MBA. When I am done with school, I just want to mow grass.....but who knows what the future will bring.

rodfather
11-02-2003, 08:50 AM
B.S. in Marketing.
B.S. in Economics.
MBA in Industrial Relations.

mtdman
11-02-2003, 10:54 AM
No business degree, but I do have a BS in Biology from UofMichigan, and working on another in computer science. Never took a single business class.

nelbuts
11-02-2003, 10:57 AM
B.S.B.Ad.

Business Administration, major personnel (human resorces now) and minor in business law. Ten hours toward I.R. (industrial relations) masters.

DLS1
11-02-2003, 11:17 AM
MBA in Business/Computer Science. I feel that MBA has opened a lot of doors for me.

o-so-n-so
11-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Nope....I'm a dummy.

You know....too much education can hurt you. If you don't believe me, just ask a professor a simple question.

mower_babe
11-02-2003, 12:40 PM
I have a medical degree and countless hours of business and psych and some sociology classes. I must say out off all of the money I have spent on education, the psych/soc classes have been most beneficial.

bruces
11-02-2003, 04:20 PM
BS in accounting, I'm a CPA.

Yes, I think it has been useful, combined with the 30 years experience, I think I have a little better grasp of business matters than a lot of people, especially the tax aspects.

Southpaw
11-02-2003, 04:47 PM
I have a B.S Economics, my wife has a masters in accounting and is a CPA. We have the business aspect portion handled well.

However, I have had to start all over with equipment issues and efficiency techniques. I've heard the debate before about college boy vs. country boy. I have to agree that common sense and mechanical apptitude are better for this type of industry. I've met many very successful LCO owners with high school educations that are very skilled. When I bought new equipment, I would be inside reading the owner's manual while my friends were outside already using it. I was able to strike up a deal with some of them that I will teach them about business issues, taxes and insurance and they teach me to hone my skills with my equipment and techniques. Hopefully, I can find a balance between my current skills and their helpful advice about the actual physical skills and other related aspects of this work.

landscaper3
11-02-2003, 04:53 PM
No, as a matter of fact I left school in the first quarter of 9th grade, Now 36 i own my own company that has done well since the early 90's and did go back at age 27 to get my GED to prove I was as smart as most of the people attending highschool. My spelling and wording suffers a little but I would not go back and change it for I'm happy with the size of my company and though heck I see these college guys 4-6 years not doing any better or worse. I'm a hands on person, like to work not let someone do the work. I'm now in charge of 6 employees, some book-keeping and like I said wouldn't change it. You can be a brainy-ache and still be behind the GED guy!
www.ideallandscaping.com

Albemarle Lawn
11-02-2003, 05:31 PM
B.S. = bullsh*t
M.S. = More of the Same
Ph.D.= Piled Higher and Deeper

Cheesedawg1
11-02-2003, 05:38 PM
High school education here. Considering im still in 11th grade.

bobbygedd
11-02-2003, 07:02 PM
twelve years of school. first grade thru 9th, then the last 3 years were spent trying to get out of the 10th grade. then i got my ged. and i thought about it for a moment. it took me 6 hours to take, and pass the ged test(general education diploma) and, i got the same diploma that you guys got , and it took YOU 4 years! i must be smart!

NCSULandscaper
11-02-2003, 07:25 PM
A.S. Degree in Horticulture
1 class short of a Business Management Minor

locutus
11-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Is there anyone out there more real than bobby? You've got to like this guy.

topcat
11-02-2003, 09:23 PM
BS in Accounting. Associates in Computer Programming. Certifications as Microsoft System Engineer and Novell Administration. All the above help in being a solo op.

rodfather
11-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Albemarle Lawn
B.S. = bullsh*t
M.S. = More of the Same
Ph.D.= Piled Higher and Deeper

I'll be sure to pass those mis-placed thoughts to some of my freinds and clients numb nuts. Up until that post, I respected your 700+ posts.

KenH
11-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i must be smart!

Hehe... I really think you should re-read your posts.;) :p

dvmcmrhp52
11-02-2003, 10:02 PM
N.D.G.A. here.

rkbrown
11-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Ph.D. in Economics here.

jkelton
11-02-2003, 11:04 PM
B.S. Mechanical Engineering

Practiced engineering for a few years and took several Masters level Mech. Engr. classes and took all the prerequisites for MBA.

Got tired of wishing I was the guy who was out riding the mower and trimming around our engineering complex while I was stuck in a cubicle, so I did something about it.

I do think my years of schooling helped me, mainly fostering the abilty to think logically and professionally. Growing up in a family retail business (animal feed and lawn equipment dealer) helped me probably more that anything, esp. in respect to dealing with the general public.

bobbygedd
11-03-2003, 02:03 PM
ok ken, i re read them. now, IM SURE IM SMART!

G-father
11-03-2003, 02:22 PM
I've got a degree in biology and half way through my MBA.

It makes me laugh when someone in high school drives past in his dad's bmw and calls me a high school drop out. Those are the types who fail out of college when their parents no longer have enough money to buy them good grades.

Let it Grow
11-03-2003, 03:38 PM
A.S. in Business
A.S. in Automotive Technology
Minor in Religion

Yes, I have been helped greatly by my education. I learned tons of good stuff from my business classes, and I can fix pretty much anything because of my Auto Tech classes. And my religion minor...well I guess that helps remind me who's the boss, and helps me run my business ethically.

Expert Lawns
11-03-2003, 03:41 PM
currently a college student. business major, but that might change.

65hoss
11-03-2003, 03:50 PM
I have a BA in accounting. Yep, very helpful in figuring out the business side of things. Pricing, expenses, long term planning all fall back to the business knowledge.

bobbygedd
11-03-2003, 04:00 PM
i have a calculator for that

Johnny
11-03-2003, 04:29 PM
B.S. Agriculture Education
Western Kentucky University

KenH
11-03-2003, 04:40 PM
ok ken, i re read them. now, IM SURE IM SMART!

Hehe.... not bad. Only 7 errors......:D :D ;)

rodfather
11-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
I have a BA in accounting. Yep, very helpful in figuring out the business side of things. Pricing, expenses, long term planning all fall back to the business knowledge.

Eric

I would have thought an accounting degree would have been a BS?

mower_babe
11-03-2003, 09:33 PM
I am a mathematical failure. I fear I was born without the math gene. That is what I pay my husband and accountant dearly for -to do all of my math. :dizzy: I barely freaking passed intro to accounting. I still feel sorry for my instructor. :(

steve122
11-03-2003, 10:31 PM
High School and some college, never could figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. I am amazed at the number of degrees I see listed. I would have thought those degrees would have been better suited to the suit and tie world. I'm not knocking anyone, as I believe its more important that you enjoy what you do for a living, rather than what you do for a living that matters. I've worked in office environments as a social worker and welfare fraud investigator, ran 3 barge loading terminals with 85 employees combined, spent 10 years as a hod carrier in the construction industry and by far have enjoyed these last 6 years of mowing the most.

BufalinoLand
11-03-2003, 10:33 PM
B.A. History Edinboro University of PA

Social Studies Certificate EUP

Masters in Admin (work in progress)

Never took a single business class and more importantly, no need to. If I had it to do over again. I would have skipped the 30 grand i have so far in education and just purchased equipment at 18 years old

Green in Idaho
11-03-2003, 10:34 PM
I prefer the informal kind. Dressing up in a suit just to listen to some yahoo talk is way to "stuffy".

65hoss
11-04-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by rodfather
Eric

I would have thought an accounting degree would have been a BS?

Nope, its actually a BBA. Bach of Business Admin.

tiedeman
11-04-2003, 01:18 AM
and, i got the same diploma that you guys got , and it took YOU 4 years! i must be smart!

too funny:D

bobbygedd
11-04-2003, 10:57 AM
ok ken, lets hear it. did you attend harvard, or yale?

bommaritro
11-04-2003, 11:02 AM
BS in Management Information Systems
My company is going to pay for my MBA so I plan starting class next fall.( I am looking forward to going back to school but I am not so excited to have to now juggle work, school, family, and landscaping.)

I would say my that my degree has helped me with my business. I can make some really nice reports and databases to track my cost and production efficiencies or lack of. The accounting classes I think have helped me the most however I still pay an accountant to check over my shoulder.

Ron

KerryB
11-04-2003, 11:47 AM
A.A.S. Accounting
A.A.S. Business Admin.
Both have helped tremendously. I also have a certificate for a two semester course on small business.
As for the suit and tie world, its not as fun and I would have to start taking those damn high blood pressure pills again. lol

kutnkru
11-04-2003, 12:01 PM
I got my BA in BS from Ball U ,,,

In fact Ive still got the ol bumpersticker that reads:
I'D RATHER BALL U THAN I.U.

ohh, thats in reference to Indiana BTW FWIW - LOL!!!

CheapPete's Lawncare
11-05-2003, 12:34 AM
B.S in Bus. Admin. Minor in Bus. Law.
Owned and operated 6 different Restaurants/Bars
Had 126 employees who worked for me
After being in that business (and still am, down to 2 bars now) I found that I'm the happiest when I'm mowing. I mow forty acct's with one part-timer and usually smile all day!

Cheap Pete's Lawncare
It's not the service, just the name.

LawnMower
11-05-2003, 02:07 AM
Every time I try to take a class. I end up losing interest a quarter of the way though it.

I have my GED. I don't even need that, owning my own business.

Cutting grass is kind of easy. It gets complicated when you have to teach your self the accounting program on the computer. Or if you have guys working for you. You have to know human relations. Thats not easy either.

I college degree is not needed for anything above. I may want to get some kind of degree someday just to prove to my self that I'm worthy, hahahaha.

Pilgrims' Pride
11-05-2003, 08:54 AM
I graduated from the University of Parris Island, South Carolina in 1980.
I studied those things that many people would rather not know and then I served my country for 10 years as a
United States Marine.

I've been makin the grass grow ever since.

Semper Fi Marines