PDA

View Full Version : TLS this mower is a must have for you.


Envy Lawn Service
11-02-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by TLS
Well then I must be the only guy that mows: under, near, in, around and through low hanging branches and trees. I weave through like a thread through a needle. I raise my arm rests and lean over to the side, slipping right under tree branches that skim the top of my seat. I turn around and branches skim the sides of the radiator guard.

ANY protrusion higher than the back of my seat (and the folded ROPS certainly is), or wider than my radiator guard (and the folded ROPS is also WIDE) is going to HINDER my performance in these situations.

Ahhh...behold the new Spitfire from Jungle Jim's.

TLS
11-02-2003, 09:52 AM
Hey!

Thats a LOW RIDER for sure!

P.S. While I might be a minority on here with the low branch thing, I'm certainly NOT alone in my work strategy on my properties with low hanging trees.

When I used to run JD F-935's, the ALL came with ROPS. Only ones that kept them on were County, City, or state workers. They ALL came off.


I'd like to see a tree branch rule for properties that states the following:

Stand next to tree. Fully extend your right hand and touch the tree trunk. Now walk in a clockwise fashion while maintaining hand contact with the tree trunk. You shoud NEVER have to duck your head while performing this test. If you have to duck, THAT particular branch must GO!

HOMER
11-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Oh how I agree with that!

Old folks seem to be the ones that don't want they're limbs pruned, they would rather you have to fight, bend over, get smacked in the head and invent vocabulary that has no place in society.

Now back to that mower looking thing..........looks pretty un-comfortable to me.

TLS
11-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Uncomfortable.....To get OUT of maybe, but the position looks like my easy chair!

Rick Jones
11-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Hey TLS, here is a perfect example of the "cheesy male model" you mentioned before. :D

He not wearing any ear protection, there's no indication the machine is running. No freshly cut grass behind it. Looks like they just had somebody park the machine next to a pond and this pretty-boy climbed on for the photo shoot.

locutus
11-02-2003, 10:09 AM
I'd fall asleep in that contraption.

Doc Pete
11-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Ahhh...behold the new Spitfire from Jungle Jim's.

Ask your neck how it'll feel after an hour on that. They need a neck support on the seat. Oh well, another machine thought up by engineers and totally untested by real landscape mowers.
And as soon as JJ lengthens the pivot arm on their dual wheel velky, to get rid of the wiggling, I'll start having interest in what they design.
Pete

mower_babe
11-02-2003, 11:44 AM
looks good to me.



OH! The mower?!? Sorry.:blush: jk- actually sat in that at the expo and it was extremely comfortable, but I would hate to see someone with arthritis get out of it. It tips back quite a ways.

switch is right about the neck problem - that would be a problem.

proenterprises
11-02-2003, 12:59 PM
I think I would either fall asleep and my body would probably pretty bent out of shape after getting out and then picking up a trimmer.

I just know that when Im in a recliner like that for a long time, i am stiff as h@ll when I get up.

barnard
11-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Are those just footrests? Or are they controls?

pcnservices
11-02-2003, 02:54 PM
That headlight is not gonna stay there for long - I would position that a little higher for a better effect

Black Water
11-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Don't you control/steer that contraption with your feet?:confused:

Doc Pete
11-02-2003, 03:07 PM
And again the boozo's screwed up on the tire combo. Look at the small side wall on the tires. They just don't get it, larger sidewalls give a softer ride. Gimme those 9x25 tires like the DC's run.
Pete

Runner
11-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Pete,
You are SO right about the neck situation on that thing. There aren't enough muscle relaxers in the world to deal with THAT kind of front next strain. It makes MY neck ache just looking at it! As far as the tire thing goes, they must just be trying to keep up with the "street" fads these days of the real tall rims and low profile tires that ride like train wheels. Gee, maybe they they should've gave this guy a little more "hook-up on the 4-1-1 without givin any flim-flam on the bling-bling, yo!" :D

Doc Pete
11-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Runner
As far as the tire thing goes, they must just be trying to keep up with the "street" fads these days of the real tall rims and low profile tires that ride like train wheels. Gee, maybe they they should've gave this guy a little more "hook-up on the 4-1-1 without givin any flim-flam on the bling-bling, yo!" :D

If I hadn't done full testing on tires, I wouldn't be talking. First, the change on the Hustler WB from 10x18 to 8x20, and now my time cutter from 8x18 to 8x20. Both changes have resulted in dramatic improvement in comfort and cut.
I now can actual "mow" with a rider (time cutter).
Pete

Runner
11-03-2003, 11:33 AM
...not only do you have better control and ride, but you also have just a little more ground speed, as well.

Doc Pete
11-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Runner
...not only do you have better control and ride, but you also have just a little more ground speed, as well.
Of course. Furthermore, as I've tried to explain to hustler, the larger sidewall, acts like a tank track, and rolls "around" (absorbs) a bump, keeping the deck more lever with less bounce up.
Pete

John Gamba
11-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Of course. Furthermore, as I've tried to explain to hustler, the larger sidewall, acts like a tank track, and rolls "around" (absorbs) a bump, keeping the deck more lever with less bounce up.
Pete

Don't the soft tires bend in turns and makes the deck dig or cut unlevel??
John

Doc Pete
11-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Don't the soft tires bend in turns and makes the deck dig or cut unlevel??
John

No, not at all... Remember, you're not riding on the WB, you're standing on the bullrider.... The tires only have to support the mower. Also, that's why the SWB's have the super wide stance.... they we designed with bullriding at 10 mph in mind and not "especially" for trimming (not that they won't).
Look at it this way, if the 20x10x8's work on a stander, they have to work even better on a WB.... yes???
Pete

John Gamba
11-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Pete
I thought you where talking about a rider.

Doc Pete
11-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Pete
I thought you where talking about a rider.

I was mainly taking about the SWB's, but the rider is fine, too......
Pete

Envy Lawn Service
11-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Runner
Gee, maybe they they should've gave this guy a little more "hook-up on the 4-1-1 without givin any flim-flam on the bling-bling, yo!" :D

Hehehehehe!!! :D

So Pimpdaddy Pete... So how 'bout sum n-fo on the tire tip Yo??? :cool:
I'm rollin' on 20's out back. I've been wanting to pick up a spare set of rims and tires with different tread. But I haven't been able to find where to buy the rims.

The current tires are 20 x 10 - 10 Titan Turf Trac. I was thinking of going with high floatation 21 x 11 - 10 chevron tread, as on the Hustler ATZ, which would require different rim spacing due to width. I "think" these are also made in 21 x 11 - 8.

So you are saying going down to 8" rims would improve the ride without sacrafice?

Doc Pete
11-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Hehehehehe!!! :D

So Pimpdaddy Pete... So how 'bout sum n-fo on the tire tip Yo??? :cool:
I'm rollin' on 20's out back. I've been wanting to pick up a spare set of rims and tires with different tread. But I haven't been able to find where to buy the rims.

The current tires are 20 x 10 - 10 Titan Turf Trac. I was thinking of going with high floatation 21 x 11 - 10 chevron tread, as on the Hustler ATZ, which would require different rim spacing due to width. I "think" these are also made in 21 x 11 - 8.

So you are saying going down to 8" rims would improve the ride without sacrafice?

There are a lot of 8x21 and 8x22 tires out there to choose from. For my Wb’s I’m using 2 ply tires, which are softer.
First, the “turf saver” tire, standard on most machines is a hard tire “with” a flat foot print and basically is the poorest choice of a tire, “BUT” wear well. And “that” is the reason they are chosen.
FYI, the larger sidewall tires really offer a softer rider, without giving up much. They also stay in contact with the ground better giving better traction. There is less deck bounce and as you go faster, the cut actually improves when compared to the harder less forgiven small sidewall tires.
Here's where I get my rims from:
http://unitire.com/products/

bucktenpolaris
11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
i don`t see how anybody would be able to walk after using that mower a whole day

Doc Pete
11-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bucktenpolaris
i don`t see how anybody would be able to walk after using that mower a whole day

Having both a rider and a WB/velky, I've come to the conclusion that if a lawn is rough enough that the velky bothers me, the rider beats me up worse. For any mowing under an hour, I'm happiest on the WB/velky. However, if I'd have to mow for a few hours and the lawn is smooth, I'd go for the rider.

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Pete,

Thanks for the info. I will have to call them for more specs though. I want/need to change the rim spacing a little. Plus the 8" rims listed don't sound like the right size/type.

Doc Pete
11-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Pete,

Thanks for the info. I will have to call them for more specs though. I want/need to change the rim spacing a little. Plus the 8" rims listed don't sound like the right size/type.

The rims I have are special order and are offset. So, the stock ones are centered and mine are offset (which I reversed)....So, I'd think between both, you have a wide choice of reversed, centered or offest out.............
FYI, I'm pretty the pattern of 4X4 is standard for almost all lawnmowers.
WHAT size are you looking for? I assume you want an 8" rim, right????
Pete

Envy Lawn Service
11-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Pete, my pattern is 4x4. If going from the 10" rim to the 8" rim would give me a better ride without taking away hill performance, then I'm all for the 8" rims.

As far as the spacing/offset....my current rims have a positive offset. There is only about 2 1/2" of dish, which makes the tires hug in close to the frame. If I wanted to go with the 21 x 11 - 8 tires, the rims would have to be spaced an inch or two more to the outside to avoid rubbing from tire flex on steep sidehills. My current tires will rub when I'm running low air pressure.

I tried "reversing" my current rims. I thought the easy way out might be to stay with the 10" rims if I could oder a factory set and just turn them around. But it doesn't look like that is going to work for me because rim design prevents the rim from sitting down flat. The hub center does not reach through the wheel center. So it appears all the weight would be applied directly to the lugs. Understand what I'm getting at?

Doc Pete
11-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

I tried "reversing" my current rims. I thought the easy way out might be to stay with the 10" rims if I could oder a factory set and just turn them around. But it doesn't look like that is going to work for me because rim design prevents the rim from sitting down flat. The hub center does not reach through the wheel center. So it appears all the weight would be applied directly to the lugs. Understand what I'm getting at?

My 8" rims are offset toward the inside, I think, as your's are. However, I reversed them and took a little beveled drill grinding wheel beveled the holes for the bolts to grab. They seat fine and so doesn't the rim................

Here's a pic of my 20x8's against the stock 18X10 of the Hustler . You can see the big different in sidewall. Take a look on the rim and see if it will work for you......

Envy Lawn Service
11-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Pete,

Maybe this picture will help. The rims are pretty much like the ones on the Hustler Mini Z other than the 4/5 lug thing. My current rims are no ways near as deep of dish as yours. But they do need to be more like yours to allow more clearance.

Envy Lawn Service
11-06-2003, 08:54 PM
Here is why I need more positive offset when puting on a new tire size.

Doc Pete
11-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Pete,

Maybe this picture will help. The rims are pretty much like the ones on the Hustler Mini Z other than the 4/5 lug thing. My current rims are no ways near as deep of dish as yours. But they do need to be more like yours to allow more clearance.

Yup, I know what they are. It sure looks as those you'll gain about 3 or 4 inches in clearance running my rims reversed. Don't worry about offset pressure on the pump shaft. The manufacture of the pump told me I'd never bend it, which is what I wondered when I first reversed the rims 300 hours ago.;)
Pete