PDA

View Full Version : missing payments

ronslawncare
11-02-2003, 09:15 AM
my friend told me that he never mailed a bill this season to one of his customers for four months.He said he was to busy coming home late every night and he knew he could trust these people ,they look like good people.He mail the invoice with four months due and a apology letter saying im sorry im been overwelmed with business.the customer calls up curses him out and wants to cancel service she says this is outrageous bill im on a budget/being that my friend greg he knew that he was wrong he told the customer give me half at least .she told him your lucky im giving you that.2 months. i told him never give the customers late bills in the end they act like there doing you a favor by giving you half.take the bill and send it to a colletion agency

HOMER
11-02-2003, 10:37 AM
All I can say is WOW!

4 months and no revenue.

Must be nice.

If I was a customer I think I'd have a problem with a bill like that too.

He's at fault, you have to make time each month to prepare invoices and get them in the mail. If Chrysler Financial didn't send a statement for 4 months and then demaded payment in full they would have to come get the truck I have financed with them. But being the guy that I am......I think I would call and ask if there was a problem.

lawnman_scott
11-02-2003, 10:44 AM
My pool guy didnt send me a bill for a few months, so i called and asked why, but most wont. DONT TRUST ANYONE.

Randy Scott
11-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Pretty poor business practices on his part. Although the customer most likely knew they hadn't seen a bill in awhile, I would be a little shocked and upset myself.

Another brilliant move on his part to help bring the professionalism of this industry down. I wonder what other practices he performs half-azzed? If he is so overwhelmed with business that he doesn't have time to invoice, he is most likely dropping the ball elsewhere and should probably hire someone to do some bookkeeping.

Mowing Mike
11-02-2003, 12:36 PM
I totally understand where the guy doing the billing is coming from. Its not that he does things half-@$$ed as you may think maybe he is like me and don't like paper work you put it off for a day or two next thing you know its been a month or two. In Oct I finally got time to send out billing for all my mowing customers for July Aug, and Sept. I put a little note apologizing and told them the can pay when they can. Most sent full payment but some sent some now and will latter. I'm about three months behind and work from sun-up to sun-down 6 or seven days a week. I don't get a chance to do paper work or do I have time to train someone. There have been a couple off jobs that I know that I never billed them for and I never will because its been so long, Its My own fault. Now since it get dark earlier Ill have time to do more paper work and maybe train someone over the winter to do the work next year. It not that he is unprofessional by not billing he may just not have the time, Sometimes you get to busy making money that you don't have time to collect.

Mike

sildoc
11-02-2003, 12:56 PM
money! need I say enough?
How do you pay the bills? Better yet how can you gamble on the sweat you put into the work?
The one thing I hate about the job is Billing. But it does bring great joy to the mail box.
Oh well Your loss.

pcnservices
11-02-2003, 02:03 PM
hey ronslawncare, your friend needs to invest in the Gopher billing and scheduling software program. This will help him manage his business and get his invoices out to his customers so he can get paid in time for the work he's done.
Go http://www.gophersoftware.com use their 30 day free trail
Good Luck
PC

Evan528
11-02-2003, 02:29 PM
I just received a bill from my account for the past 8 months......almost 1200 dollars!:rolleyes:

Randy Scott
11-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Mowing Mike
It not that he is unprofessional by not billing he may just not have the time, Sometimes you get to busy making money that you don't have time to collect.Mike

Guess we all have our own opinions on this. To do work for someone, forget about billing for four months, and/or not billing at all, is unprofessional. I guess I would have taken one less job, and spent that time to bill my customers instead of not billing them at all, doing more work because your SO busy, and then billing that work. Maybe you're so busy because you aren't getting the money you originally worked for and have to work so much. To let a bill go for so long that you decide not to bill at all is ridiculous. I'd be embarrassed to say something like that out loud. I work just as hard and as much as the next guy, that's no excuse. It's called work smarter not harder. Managing your work load should include getting paid as well as doing the work, and doing it in a timely manner!

Shuter
11-02-2003, 07:42 PM
One of the most often asked questions by new customers is ... when and how is billing done? I always bill on the 1st of the month. I need the revenue. Most customers do not want to have a bill larger than 1 monthes worth.

Turf Medic
11-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Mowing Mike
Sometimes you get to busy making money that you don't have time to collect.
Mike

I'm not sure I understand this line, are you really making money if you don't collect it. I learned a long time ago in sales the sale isn't made until the money is collected. I think the same would hold true here, the job isn't done until the money's in the bank. If you are in fact giving work away because you are too busy to collect the money IMO you should try working a little less, re-evaluate your bidding, you may be too cheap, and collect the money that is due to you. If all else fails hire a part time book-keeper to bill your clients.

HOMER
11-02-2003, 08:36 PM
I've been up late many a night making sure I got my invoices out on time. My customers know that they will be arriving shortly after the 1st of the month.

Part of being "professional" is managing your business "professionally". Billing your customers is part of taking care of "your" business.

When your small time like most of us the work doesn't stop when you pull the trailer in the yard.

promower
11-02-2003, 09:00 PM
I say the "I'm to busy to do billing" is a poor excuse. If you have time to go on lawnsite and write you dont have time then I think you dont have your priorities straight

Runner
11-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Unprofessional? Yes. Embarrasing? Yes. A matter of just not having priorities straight? Yes. Have I done it? Yes.
Just last year, I did the same thing with a long time client (a church), and didn't bill them until this Spring for last years work. I let them know not to sweat it, as I know they must be on a budget, and that payments of whatever they can afford is fine. What I did here was the wrong thing, and I am sorry for it. Yes, money is slowly rolling in, but it was (is) very bad business practice, and I learned from it.

PaulJ
11-02-2003, 11:23 PM
One of the things that bothered me when I was working for another LCO was the customers coming up to me when mowing and asking me "when is He going to send out bills? I haven't gotten one for a couple months now." He used to intentionally put some of them off so He could bill at the end of the season and have money over the winter.? I never understood why he wouldn't make billing a priority. Especially when my pay check would bounce.

I spent today getting october invoices ready to go in the mail tomorrow. (actually my wife wrote them out, she wants the customers to be able to read them.) So now i know how much I am billing gout so I know how much will come in in the next couple of weeks and I know that I can pay the bills that are waiting. Not a bad feeling. There might even be a few dollars left over. The only time I don't bill at the end of the month is if there is a project about finished and I want to wait and just bill it all together.

Rustic Goat
11-03-2003, 02:02 AM
Not billing for that length of time just does not make sense, period.
Let me venture a guess that anyone doing this on a regular basis is not a full time LCO, is working their 'real' job elsewhere and cuts grass for pocket money.
If that's not the case, it makes even less sense. Occasional late billing (slip ups) is one thing, but to go for months is not smart no matter the reason! :dizzy:

Richard Martin
11-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Why are some of you actually sitting down and writing bills by hand? Every single one of you have a computer or else you wouldn't be here. I use a program called FF Billing Manager Pro that is extremely easy to use. It is a shareware program that is available everywhere on the net.

David Haggerty
11-03-2003, 04:38 AM
He never should have "forgave" half of the bill. Maybe let her pay in payments. But always collect what's owed you.

Commercial accounts can take "how-to-stiff-the-lawn-guy" to an art form. That woman is a rank amateur with her "screaming about the bill" act.

He should still collect! Tell her "I know I said I'd take only half. But now I'm saying that I did the work so you can pay me what you owe me!"

I could give you guys a grocery list of absolute CRAP that people and businesses give me trying to squirm out of paying me. Just let me say that billing went out for Oct. with $6,311.48 still due from previous months!

Dave

ccwmlw
11-03-2003, 12:53 PM
If you are 3 months behind billing hire someone to you billing like a bookkeeper. It will not cost that much, and the way this was done I do not blame the customers for being mad. He would never step foot in my yard again. As much as some services cost that is very disrespectful. Does he give them 3 months to pay?

PaulJ
11-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Richard, Yes I still hand write the bills. Ikeep the records on a spreadsheet and print it out wiht the name, address, price and dates of service on each line. Then write up and invoice for each customer. Letr me say I sent out 30 envelopes today. that's not very many to alot of people. And still mangable by hand. I havn't found a simple invoice progaram I like yet, but I havn't looked very hard. Most are so expencive that I can't justify thecost to save a couple hours of work each month. MOre imoportant things to spend money on right now.

Richard Martin
11-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Paul
Try this:

www.mrtec.com

$69.95 for the basic version. Very simple and easy to use. Let me know how it works out for you.