PDA

View Full Version : NPR/Cabover Trucks for Towing?

Tony Clifton
11-02-2003, 02:56 PM
I wanted to know if any of you guys that have Isuzus or Chevy Cabovers use your trucks for towing skid steers or tractors. We have 2 with landscape bodies on them that the maintenance crews use and love them. We are planning on getting another for one of the landscaping crews, and putting a dump body on it. I just want to know how well these trucks would handle pulling a heavy piece of equipment. I have never seen one pulling a skid steer or tractor (our skid steer is a New Holland LS180 so its pretty heavy, our tractor is smaller so I am not as concerned about it.) Any input would be helpful, also I am not looking for answers related to the GVWR of the truck. Thanks

pottstim
11-02-2003, 09:27 PM
I was coming back from Florida on I-95 this past Wednesday, and there was an NPR box truck pulling a Dodge Ram quad cab pickup. It was moving along quite nicely, too. There were a ton of NPR's running around down in the Daytona area, along with several Mitsu Fusos. If only I could convince my boss at my full-time job that we need an NPR.
;)

lbmd1
11-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Tony,
we have an Isuzu NPR Turbo diesel and pull about 4000 lbs quite often with not a problem at all. I called Isuzu many years ago when I got the truck and they said 5000 lbs wouldn't be a problem with the truck fully loaded. I would say a tractor in the 3-4000 lb class would be ok, but a skidsteer and trailer would be pushing it unless you went with the FRR model.

Mike