PDA

View Full Version : backpack blowers

Treeslayer
11-02-2003, 06:08 PM
I just bought the new Stihl BR 420, is any other brand more powerful?

I like the Stihl, just always looking for more power.

Shuter
11-02-2003, 07:38 PM
I can not help you with other brands, but all my handheld equipment are Stihls. I have never had any problems with Stihl.

BSDeality
11-02-2003, 09:26 PM
this will open a can of worms, but the answers you'll get are.

echo, redmax, shindaiwa (in no particular order)

i've got a echo BP 750t (biggest they make) i love it.

Treeslayer
11-02-2003, 09:39 PM
what about the husqvarnas?

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-03-2003, 05:56 AM
I checked out the Husky's......but decided to stick with Shindiawa since that is what my other stuff is.......

Husky's were good equipment.......

Derek

ccwmlw
11-03-2003, 08:30 AM
I have a new Echo. I do not know about power,but I am pleased with my Echo. I would say they are pretty much the same, just preference.

Charlie Sierra
11-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Treeslayer

what about the husqvarnas?

A friend of mine who prefers Husqvarna power equipment recently purchased one of their blowers (BT165 model, I think). It seems to have a little more oomph than my Stihl BR420C "Magnum", it is definitely much quieter and has a much more comfortable harness. The workmanship and materials are top notch, too. Based on my limited experience with one model, I am favorably impressed with Husqvarna blowers.

A few guys I know swear by Redmax and have some that are heavy but very powerful.

My BR420C recently took a forty foot plunge onto asphalt :dizzy: during an intense gutter cleaning job ($300.00 gross; pretty intense I say!). It sustained only a few scuffs and purred like a kitten. It leaked a little gas because a fitting on top of the tank cracked but $13.00 had me back in spec. Tough tool that Stihl!

I am probably going to by a second blower before the Season is out and will most likely get another Stihl BR420C. The power to weight ratio has been more than adequate for my needs and logistics will be kept simple.

AztlanLC
11-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Just try the redmax eb7001 you'll change your mind about the stihl, I know I did after using 10 stihls and only one redmax.
Now all my equipment is RM

Rtom45
11-05-2003, 12:43 PM
All the backpack blowers (8) that we use at the College are Redmax. We've been using that brand for at least the last five years. The crews love them, the mechanic loves them

Critical Care
11-09-2003, 01:09 PM
I use a BR-420 and it does a good job for what I need, though have used others a bit more powerful. Perhaps you should consider reliability, parts availibility, and service as well as power. You could end up with a super blower and then be unable to get it serviced or locate parts for it... and that would be a bummer, eh?

paponte
11-09-2003, 01:54 PM
We use Echo PB650's & 750's, and Shindaiwa 630's. Both are biggest machines each company makes. The Echo is a little more heavier I believe, but they are very close in power. :cool:

Charlie Sierra
11-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Critical Care

I use a BR-420 and it does a good job for what I need, though have used others a bit more powerful. Perhaps you should consider reliability, parts availibility, and service as well as power. You could end up with a super blower and then be unable to get it serviced or locate parts for it... and that would be a bummer, eh?

You hit the nail on the head. All of my power hand tools are Stihl and though they are trouble free for the most part, when they do need a screw, air filter or whatnot the abundnace of servicing dealers in my area make sure that down time is minimum or non existent. Stihl dealers out number the others in these parts by at least three to one.

While I like my BR420C and need another blower, I am starting to lean towards more power for pine needles, acorns, etc. My Stihl dealer also happens to be an Echo dealer and he directed me towards the PB650. After test driving it yesterday, I am very impressed. The 20% increase in weight was very noticeable but I can always have one of my part timers lug the thing around :D !

Doster's L & L
11-12-2003, 02:12 AM
I used the Stihl BG55 and BG85 and i have only had problems with them. The on/off switch on BOTH have a short in them or somehing, i have had BOTH switches replaced and still the same problem... they don't shut off. They do when i pull the spark plug cord or the thing gets choked out!!! Now i am using the '03 Kawasaki backpack blower this year, my first backpack. I am really disappointed in theperformance of these things. kawasaki is not the problem, just backpacks in general. I expected more blow for the dough. Mine is rated at max speed 201mph and around 700 cf/m. i compared this to the same cc redmax blowers and it beat it in the cf/m, but was the same in mph. i figure i got a good blower, but man, i expected a lot more.

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by AztlanLC
Just try the redmax eb7001 you'll change your mind about the stihl, I know I did after using 10 stihls and only one redmax.
Now all my equipment is RM I May not have a 7001, but I know Redmax is VERY reliable and runs smoother than a babys hiney, so I got another too:D

G-father
11-12-2003, 10:03 AM
My opinion is buy what feels right. I did a side by side comparision between the Shin 630, echo 750, and my old br400. There is a night and day difference in my opinion. The echo and shin can move more leaves. However, when I hire people to help for fall cleanup they prefere the br400 because it is noticeably lighter. I like my 630 in the open but the 400 with the curved end is a lot better in the beds with light topsoil and in tight space areas.

I do not feel the 420 was a big upgrade from the 400. If you have had good luck with stihl, get another.

Do your self a favor though demo a shin, redmax or echo. When I went into the dealership my mind was made up 100% to buy a Stihl 420...I walked out with a smile on my face, 50 dollars less in my pocket (the shin was 50 more than the stihl), and a shin 630 on my back.

The next day I used the shin for 8 straight hours and loved it!!!

Expert Lawns
11-12-2003, 10:38 AM
As far as BP blowers go, I have used stihl and redmax. I am partial to the redmax. Starts on the second pull EVERYTIME. Even in the coldest weather. I can't complain about the power, but I'm sure there are some out there with a little more umph. Like others have said, demo a few and go with what feels right. Try not to make money your deciding factor, these things run for a looooong time.

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
...I am partial to the redmax. Starts on the second pull EVERYTIME. Even in the coldest weather. I can't complain about the power, but I'm sure there are some out there with a little more umph. Like others have said, demo a few and go with what feels right. Try not to make money your deciding factor, these things run for a looooong time. You got that right, Redmax blowers ALWAYS ALWAYS start on the second pull! :p

65hoss
11-12-2003, 05:15 PM
You want the best of the best when it comes to power, its Redmax--echo--shindawia. The top of the line for each will out perform the Stihl by a mile. No comparision at all. The Stihl will get the job done, but it will take a lot longer.

locutus
11-12-2003, 05:58 PM
So far as I am aware, the Redmax eb7001 has the most power of any backpack on the market. 855cfm @ 205mph. The cfm is the more important of the two figures.

TLS
11-12-2003, 06:09 PM
locust,

Just so you know.....

The RedMax CFM ratings are at the HOUSING. I don't know about the 7001, as they don't list it on their website???

But the 7000 lists the following figures.

Max. Air Volume with Std. Pipe = 529 cfm

Max. Air Volume w/o Pipe = 730 cfm

The Echo 650 lists 625 and 1200 respectively.

Now I realize this is on paper, and this isn't the 7001 specs (why aren't they on the site?) you have to look at where the measurements are taken.

pinnacle
11-12-2003, 06:11 PM
I'll be taking a good look at the Sthil 4-Mix BPs when they come out. I would imagine the weight on the 4-MIx is a little more but 70% more power would automaticaly cancle out any bad fellings I had for the wieght issue.

Until then the Shiny EB 650 is a good BP.

TLS
11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Just found specs on the 7001.....

RedMax EB7001 is 855 CFM at Housing / 630 CFM at End-of-Pipe
-------Air Speed: 205 MPH

A smidge better than the Echo's

MIMAINTAINCE
11-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Depends on your preference. I bought my Stihl BR320 new in 00'.
it was good for me, but once I tried a redmax... whoo hoo! I have since bought 2 used Redmax EB4300 and wouldnt go back to Stihl backpacks. P.S. the one Redmax is a 99' the other is a 01'
Bottom Line: I like Redmax much better

locutus
11-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by TLS
Just found specs on the 7001.....

RedMax EB7001 is 855 CFM at Housing / 630 CFM at End-of-Pipe
-------Air Speed: 205 MPH

A smidge better than the Echo's Found a few websites I.E.Redmax dealers that list the end of pipe volume as 680cfm. Oddly enough it moves the same amount of leaves at 680cfm as when I thought it was 855cfm. I cant figure it out.:confused:

stevoonj
11-12-2003, 08:43 PM
I just bought a REDMAX 7001, and I've found it has a little less power than my Echo 650. But is much lighter and much more comfortable. We don't use Stil in my area, except for chainsaws! Seems like the dealers don't have the parts in stock.

odin
11-12-2003, 09:05 PM
just everybody wait and see whats up sthil 's sleave a few months from now.

4 mix engine and if my dealer is correct awsome power supossedly its gonna be the br 600

bpurser154
11-13-2003, 06:07 AM
The problem in trying to compare cfm's (which is the important number) over miles per hour. There is no industry standard for the manufacturers. Each manufacturer arbitrarily determines their cfm's and miles per hour. In a recent test using the same criteria. The Shindaiwa 630 produced 615 cfm's, and the Redmax produced 650 cfm's, at the end of the tube. The Redmax also has an air filter with at least triple the capacity of the Shindaiwa. The Redmax actually blows air up the operator's back, and has a nettting device to eliminate leaves from accumalating between the blower housing and the engine.

Buba
11-13-2003, 08:59 AM
Although the Red Max blows just a little more than the
Echo 650, it is a full 3 lbs lighter. 3 lbs adds up in the course of a day. Red Max also has a very large air filter system which keeps dirt out of the engine. Do yourself a favor and demo one.

Planet Landscaping
11-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Redmax 7000,1 will save you time. Time = money

G-father
11-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by odin00
just everybody wait and see whats up sthil 's sleeve a few months from now.

4 mix engine and if my dealer is correct awsome power supposedly its gonna be the br 600

I'm really excited about this new blower. However, I'm not going to buy it for awhile because I'm not sure how it's going to last in the long run. I want to hear about some units with tons of hours with little to no problems (which will not be a problem for stihl). I just hate being the first on a expensive piece of equipment.

odin00 - any idea on the price? Are they going to introduce them cheap to get them out there? Weight will also be a concern, I hope they don't add too much weight.

odin
11-13-2003, 02:54 PM
g-father

I didnt get any price info from the dealer,But i suspect since its a 4 mix look for higher price on it.

he said it gonna be designed to run on 80 to 1 from the get go.

bpurser154
11-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey guys, if a four stroke engine is superior to a two stroke for hand held equipment, why has Stihl suddenly decided to build one. They have been in the business forever. One reason, and one reason only. It is their answer to the government's new emission laws. If two cycle has been the superior answer for over 70 years, why would it still not be the answer today. Redmax is still making two cycle engines with three moving parts, opposed to 14-15 moving parts in the new hybrid engines by Shindaiwa and Stihl.

G-father
11-13-2003, 08:00 PM
bpurser154 - I'm not trying to find a 4 stroke engine... I'm trying to find a VERY powerful blower. Part of the problem with a larger engine is it goes through a lot more fuel. This means you need a larger tank and carry more fuel.

I want a bp that is as powerful as a walk behind, light as a feather, and last for a few generations. :) Come on Stihl.

TLS
11-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by G-father

I want a bp that is as powerful as a walk behind, light as a feather, and last for a few generations. :) Come on Stihl.

Wishfull thinking...

Your going to be waiting a long, LONG time for that!

Unless they can magicly make a 6hp backpack blower with a 5" pipe weigh less than 30 lbs~!