PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new truck

CoachLinz
11-05-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm selling my 85 GMC 1/2 ton pickup that I have been using for the lawn biz and my 94 Jeep Cherokee that is my personal car and replacing them with one newer vehicle which will be both my daily driver and my lawn vehicle. I only mow part-time (10 lawns) and teach high school full-time. I have 2 kids, so extended or crew cab is a necessity.

I run everything out of the truck bed - no trailer because I have no where to park one and some of my lawns would be very difficult to get to with a trailer. Also, I do occasionally pick up mulch and landscaping jobs as well for extra $$$.

I'm looking at a 98 Chevy 3500 4x4 crew cab, dually, 5.7L V8, 65K miles for $15,900.

Is this going to be too much vehicle for daily driving? How bad will the gas mileage be? If it were a single rear wheel, I'd buy it in a heart-beat, but I'm not 100% with the dual rear wheels. What do you guys think? How would it be for regular driving? Any other suggestions?

lawnagent
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
I think any 3500 ( 1 ton ) truck is gonna be duall rear wheeled. Why a 1 ton? Man O man thats alot of truck. I have always said that too much power is just about right, but I have yet to find ANYTHING I could not tow or pull (within reason) with my 2500 3/4 ton. Even the 1/2 ton I used to have would do a right sizable amount of work.

CoachLinz
11-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Mainly because that's what I have found in my price range for a good truck. I need the bigger cab and most of the 1/2 tons come with a short bed when they are extended cab. I'm afraid I won't be able to haul enough mulch, etc at one time with a 1/2 ton short bed. I went looking for a 3/4 ton figuring I could just put up sides and load it up with 5 or 6 yards if needed, but I didn't find any locally yet. Then I found that 1 ton and it is a very nice truck. Just wondering if, like you said, it might be a bit much. I do almost no towing. Usually anything I do is in the truck bed.

How bad would it be to drive around on a daily basis?

lawnagent
11-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Ditto what you said on the short bed. When I bought my extended cab 3/4 ton I held out till I found one with a long bed. Cant be doin that short bed thing!:D

Southpaw
11-05-2003, 01:05 PM
I also use my truck for work and personal driving. I'm not big enough to have a fleet of cabovers just yet. I don't mind having the short bed because I do use a trailor. I wanted something fairly luxurious but a workhorse all in the same package.

GrassBlaster
11-05-2003, 01:12 PM
I had a 97 Chevy dually, but it was the 6.5 turbo diesel. Funny thing is, it got almost the same mileage with or wothout pulling. Seems like it got 15 hwy no load, and 12 hwy with a 30ft camper.

The biggest issue is parking. Il learned to back it into almost any parking space, but the other issue was other people hitting me. It was a crew cab (4 door) long bed, so it really stuck out. People backing out of spaces opposite me, tended to back into me.

Ford makes a 350 with single rear wheels, but don't know if that made them in that year range. That's a pretty good price.

IMO, I would try to find a 3/4 ton...but it would be hard to pass up a deal

CoachLinz
11-05-2003, 01:12 PM
I think a short bed is fine if it is a 3/4 or 1 ton, just not on a 1/2 ton.

But anyway, any other thoughts on the Chevy I described above. I'm going to go drive it this afternoon. I know it would be a great work truck, but how bad would it be driving it every day to my full-time job, around town, etc. I only commute 7 miles each way, but still....

jlewis
11-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Coach,
I personally think that is a good deal. I almost got a ext cab dual diesel over the summer. (New day job fell thru) I think it is a bit under powered w/ the 350. That said you do not tow and a 454 would get you about 10 mpg on a good day. You are probably looking in the 12 - 15 mpg range w/ that truck. The 7 miles are probably not on I95 at highway speed.(but then again 24, the by pass, rt 1 all can get fast). The biggest thing you loss w/ a dual axle is total gross towing weight. A truck that long should not beat you up like a short box reg cab would. 350s are dirt cheap to work on / replace.

I am 6'5" w/ an S10, wife and two little heads. I have always wanted a crew dually. My 70 - 100 mile a day commute negates getting one!

Joe

HarryD
11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Coach
what is the price range you are looking in :confused: and does it have to be a chevy

CoachLinz
11-05-2003, 02:16 PM
HarryD
Price range -
Max $16K on the road. less is better. I can probably get this 3500 on the road under $15 when it's all said and done.

No, it doesn't have to be a Chevy.

jlewis-
You sound familiar with this area. I travel north on Rt. 1 until it turns into Rt. 22 and then left onto Rt 543. I teach and coach at C. Milton Wright High School

Rustic Goat
11-06-2003, 03:26 AM
Sounds like this truck is going to be on the go all the time, that's a lot of mileage already for one that the engine is never going to cool completely off on. Unless of course you intend to keep trading-in/buying different vehicles before this one goes South.

Don't mean to pry, and I'm not asking, just commenting.
Have you looked into leasing or buying a truck? Some good deals this time of year, and the ever popular 60 month payment stretch.

Clewsew
11-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Coach, I would question that they would make a 1 ton dually crew cab and not put the 454 or a diesel in it. With that said, if it is a 454 I would shy away just because of the mpg, as someong else said you would be lucky to get 12mpg empty....espically with a dually. I have a friend that has a ford diesel crew cab single rear axle and I think that he gets in the neighborhood of 18mpg. It is a standard as well. Good luck, and let us know what you end up getting.

CoachLinz
11-06-2003, 08:25 AM
Rustic Goat-
I'm not sure what you are getting at with your post. My vehicles are not always on the go. My commute to my full-time job is 14 miles round trip. I only mow 10 lawns weekly and then usually do small landscape jobs or mulch installations on Saturdays. I only put about 10K miles a year on my vehicle. Not sure what you meant by trading in again soon either. I just got into this business this past spring. At that point I bought the only thing I could afford to haul mowers and mulch - the GMC pickup. My Cherokee we've had for almost 3 years. I am now in a better position to get a better truck. I also now have been in the mowing biz for a year and know I want to continue so I don't mind doing the necessary upgrades. My intention here with purchasing a new truck is to reduce maintenance costs and insurance costs and to only have 1 truck. The 85 GMC constantly needs work and I'm insuring 2 vehicles. We are looking for a truck that will serve the purposes of the 2 vehicles I have now in 1 package. Whatever I buy, I plan to have for a long time.

Sorry if this sounds defensive, but I just wasn't sure what you were reading into my question.

olderthandirt
11-06-2003, 09:10 AM
BUY it, its will do the work and haul the kids with room to spare you won't get the best mpg but if thats what you need buy a car, If you can only afford 1 vehical you found what you need. just remember the turning radius

Mac

lawnagent
11-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Also if your commute isnt that far any way then what the heck does the gas mileage mean? Having to drive a gas guzzler 50 or 60 miles one way is alot more of an issue for a gas hog truck than 7 or so.

CoachLinz
11-06-2003, 11:19 AM
I know I won't be too bad with gas because of my short commute, but my wife quick working this year to stay home with our 2 boys so money is tight. That is actually why I started my lawn business in the first place. So I at least need to be conscious of the gas mileage. I also found a Ford F350 4x4 w/ 460 engine, but from what I found in my research, it would only be getting about 7 or 8 mpg.

Rhett
11-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey Coach, JUst make sure when you test drive it to go to the places it will be going prodomiately. The grocery store, the bank(bet you won't be going thru the drive thru). Let your wife drive it and make sure she is comfortable. Had a rental for two weeks just like the one you are looking at. Liked it on the highway, 350 had plenty of go. Ride was closer to a buck board than a Cadilac but tolerable, liked the two wheel drive we had better. Didn't even grunt under heavey loads. Gas milage was dismal. Then again it was a rental with a bunch of young kids driving it on the off time. Hated parking it. Had a turning radious of a 40 passenger buss. Tight corners in town were interesting.

accuratelawn
11-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Check into insurance. My regular auto company would not insure my F350. Anything over 3/4 ton was considered commercial. Higher rates? Something to check into.

CoachLinz
11-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Checking the insurance is a good idea. I'll do that first thing in the morning.

Anyway, I test drove the truck this afternoon. It is in excellent condition and I loved driving it. It is an extended cab w/ long bed, towing package, 4x4, etc. It is loaded with everything you can think of. Didn't really find it bad to maneuver at all. Keep in mind I used to drive an 85 Suburban with the long wheel base (the really long one they don't even make anymore) that was just as long and I loved that too.

Here is the dillemma though. After driving that truck, I got a phone call from a friend who owns a different car dealership. He just picked up a truck this morning at the local auction. It is a 2000 Chevy 1500, 3 door extended cab, 4x4, 5.3L V8, short bed w/ only 17K miles on it. He offered it to me for $16,500. He said if I don't want it, it will go out on the lot for 19,900. Pretty much just a basic truck with very few options but that's fine. I'm not 100% sure if this truck can get it done over the long haul but it sure is a heck of a deal. What do you guys think? I figure 75-80% of what I do, it will be fine. Mainly, it will mean extra trips for mulch and extra trips to dump debris I think. Is that good enough for a part-timer like me, or do I need to just jump on this 3500 I drove today. The big difference is the 3500 has 66K miles on it and is 2 years older.

Let me know what you guys think between these two now that I found this other truck as well. I know a 1/2 ton would be better for driving everyday, but can I make it work for the landscaping side of things (it will fit my lawn stuff fine).

Rustic Goat
11-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by CoachLinz
Sorry if this sounds defensive, but I just wasn't sure what you were reading into my question.
Excuse if I didn't get your original post correctly, sounded like this vehicle to be was going to be on the go from dawn to dusk with either business or family missions.

As for possible length of ownership, just meant that some folks trade every year/season, so they think they don't have to be concerned about mileage so much when buying a used vehicle.

So, no need to get defensive, no attacks/accusations meant.

Reason I brought up new vehicle purchase, Nov/Dec tend to be pretty good times to buy a new vehicle, new models are out ('04) but still plenty of new last years ('03) setting on the lot at good prices. New would mean better financing terms, lesser chance of repairs for quite a while, warranty coverage usually till about time it's paid off, etc.

Scag48
11-08-2003, 08:03 PM
You need an F-250 with the PSD. DO NOT BUY A 1 TON TRUCK! They ride is very rough and it is totally stupid to buy a 1 ton truck if you're not towing over about 10,000 #. We have a '99 F-350 that is going to be towing 25,000 on a gooseneck trailer as soon as soon the trailer gets built. If you're not doing any heavy towing or have a dump box put in, it's a waste of money, besides the rough ride. I suggest the long box if you're working out of the bed, no sense in going short there. If you go diesel, you will get decent mileage. We get about 16 MPG with our F-350, not too bad. Good luck.

pottstim
11-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Scag48
You need an F-250 with the PSD. DO NOT BUY A 1 TON TRUCK! They ride is very rough and it is totally stupid to buy a 1 ton truck if you're not towing over about 10,000 #. We have a '99 F-350 that is going to be towing 25,000 on a gooseneck trailer as soon as soon the trailer gets built. If you're not doing any heavy towing or have a dump box put in, it's a waste of money, besides the rough ride. I suggest the long box if you're working out of the bed, no sense in going short there. If you go diesel, you will get decent mileage. We get about 16 MPG with our F-350, not too bad. Good luck.

25,000 lbs with a 1 ton truck? :eek: Usually 1 tons with dual rear wheels are rated to tow around 15,000 maximum. That sounds very dangerous. Not enough truck and not enough brakes to stop it. :dizzy:

Scag48
11-09-2003, 09:05 PM
I've heard that 15,000 BS, but I think that's without full trailer brake setup. Guys around here tow 25,000 all the time, so I know it can be done. Just don't get the rig going too fast to the point where you can't stop it. I told my dad that we need to get a compression brake for our truck, so we might get to help out as well.

mrusk
11-09-2003, 09:16 PM
If you succede that 15k BS the DOT will have your ----- for lunch when they catch ya. The ratings arn't base on how much the engine can pull, but on how much they can stop in a certain distance. A psd can pull 25k no proablem. It does close to that legally in a f650, but the 650 got big brakes.

matt

GLS
11-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Scag48

I strongly disagree with you. A 250 will not ride that much smoother than a 350. You don't buy a work truck for a good ride, you buy it to work. The more gvw the better. Even if your only towing a smaller amount right now, you will probably want to be able to tow more later on.

Also, towing a 12.5 ton trailer with a 350 is very unsafe. It might pull it fine, but stopping it is another story. Not only breaks, but the truck has such little mass pulling a huge load like that.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-09-2003, 11:52 PM
i drive a diesel F-350 supercab dually with a six speed everyday it is a pain in the azz to park but it haz plenty of towing power and hauling capacity it has a nice ride because it is long u will pay extra 4 ins and some company's will not ins it because of the gvw and it will cost more to go across bridges and some communities have a truck ordinance so u cant park it at home u may want to stick with single rear wheels

Potchkins
11-10-2003, 04:40 AM
SRW in a 1 ton
all 3 make it now
dodge just started in 02'
10k mi. a year go gas
you wont ever see the
up side of diesel vs.
possable repair cost ,
purchase price

jlewis
11-13-2003, 04:35 PM
Coach,
I work w/ a lot of CMW grads! I work just north of Hunt Valley (Sparks) Born and raised in Timonium. Got married and went north of the Mason Dixon line.

What did you decide?

CoachLinz
11-13-2003, 05:09 PM
After driving all 3 trucks I found, and getting my wife's opinion since she will have to use it occassionally, we ended up buying the 2000 Silverado 1500. When I went to look at it, it turned out to be the HD model which gives me a bit more hauling capacity. Overall, it came down to the fact that it only has 17K miles on it and is still under warranty.

Scag48
11-14-2003, 03:22 AM
I strongly disagree with you. A 250 will not ride that much smoother than a 350. You don't buy a work truck for a good ride, you buy it to work. The more gvw the better. Even if your only towing a smaller amount right now, you will probably want to be able to tow more later on.

A 250 might not ride a whole lot better but it isn't going to be any worse than a 1 ton. I never said that I would buy a work truck for the ride, but if you're not going to be towing a whole lot or putting a dump box in it why shell out the extra $$$ for the 1 ton? There are tons of people here that haul 20K + with a 1 ton truck, I've seen them do it and for farming purposes we are exempt from getting fined. For the business side of things we will only be towing about 10K with trailer weight included so we're legal there, but for farm purposes we are permitted to haul up to 26,001. You only have to worry about stopping a rig in a hurry if you're going too fast. If you drive smart and don't get going too fast to stop, you'll be fine. We don't have freeways here, the highest speed limit on my side of the county is 50 MPH so we're not talking about freeway speed in excess of 60-65. I guess my only point is why would there be so many trailer builders around here putting 2 12,000 lb. axles on these trailers allowing us to haul these weights. Must be legal somewhere. My .02

Strawbridge Lawn
11-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Without a doubt, my next ruck will be a diesel.. Cummins or Duramax..

Runner
11-17-2003, 01:07 PM
It sounds like you bought yourself a nice truck. I had a '97 GMC 4x w/ ext. cab 1/2 ton w/ shortbox. I loved that truck- up until it was totalled about a year ago (rearended). It had the 5.7 in it, though. I am currently shopping for another right now, but I just read a newspaper article that sort of concerns me. It's about engine knock from particular engines, and the lawsuits against GM regarding it. One truck in particular that I have been looking at, a '99 Chv. 3/4 ton w/ ext. cab, happens to have one of these motors, but there is no noise thus far, however, there IS 100,000 mi. on the truck. I am going to post another thread regarding this matter for input, so if anyone knows about it, I would certainly appreciate the input. Here is the article.
DETROIT (AP)--A Florida couple and a Michigan man have filed a lawsuit against General Motors Corp., claiming their trucks had such noisy engines that they were useless.

Kim and Daniel Powell of Castleberry, Fla., and John Lott of Brownstown Township, Mich., filed the suit Friday in U.S. District Court in Detroit, their lawyers said.

Attorney Ann K. Mandt of Charfoos & Christensen said the plaintiffs have asked the court to certify the case as a class action.

GM spokesman Brian Akre said the company had not seen the lawsuit and had no immediate comment.

In a statement, Charfoos & Christensen said GM has sold more than 800,000 vehicles since 1999 with defective engines that produce excessive exhaust emissions and ``knock'' so loudly that the owners ``are unable to effectively use their vehicles and can certainly not sell or trade them for fair value.''

J. Douglas Peters of Charfoos & Christensen said he's aware of at least two instances in which GM has bought back a truck from an owner because of the engine noise.

GM has acknowledged the problem, which it said surfaced when it moved to a new family of engines. But the automaker said it does not affect engine performance and that it was corrected in later-model vehicles.

According to dealer service bulletins obtained by the Detroit Free Press for a story Friday, vehicles with the engine knock problem include 1999 through 2002 Chevy and GMC pickups and sport-utility models with 4.8-, 5.3- and 6.0-liter V8 engines.

The bulletins say the noises are not detrimental to the vehicles.

``I paid almost $35,000 for this truck. The truck is almost worthless,'' said Greg MacNeil, who bought a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado two years ago. ``In good conscience, I couldn't sell this truck to someone else.''

GM officials say carbon and the amount of clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall are the primary causes of the knocking engines.

GM spokesman Tom Read said the automaker has addressed the issue by making design changes to the piston in some 2002 vehicles and all 2003 vehicles with the noise. GM has cut the amount of space between the piston and the cylinder so the amount of rocking is reduced.

___

General Motors Corp., http://www.gm.com

AP-NY-11-14-03 1748EST

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.