PDA

View Full Version : will the 9000 do a exmark mulch blade

PRO PROPERTY CARE
11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Ok i switch back and forth form mulch too straight blades. I was looking at getting a sharpener. The 9000 will not do curvy blades. The exmark mulch blade is flat for the first appr. 3 inches. then curves up and flat again. Will the 9000 do the first 3 inchs (outside leading edge)...
I believe someone mentined the rest of the blade doesnt cut much so only the first 2 or 3 inches matters.
thanks for the help

mike

Magna-Matic
11-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Hello,

Yes, you are correct the MAG-9000 will do the first flat section of the blade, you can also do the furthest inner section as well. It is only that higher portion that the MAG-9000 cannot do.

Thank you,

PRO PROPERTY CARE
11-06-2003, 07:21 AM
great thanks.
Its on my wish list for this winter...

mike

Craig T
05-30-2004, 12:10 AM
If you know how to hand grind your better off getting a commerical belt sander with a 2" wide belt. That way you can sharpen the entire mulch blade (Exmark). There's no decated sharpener or bench grinder that can sharpen a blade like a sander.

Fareway Lawncare
05-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Try the Rounded Table on the 8000 for eXmark Mulch Blades!

Magna-Matic
05-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Hello All,

Yes as "Fareway Lawncare" mentioned and showed in his pictures, the MAG-8000 is the only dedicated lawn mower blade sharpener in the industry able to do the curved mulching blades.

Thank you,

MikeLT1Z28
06-06-2004, 02:12 AM
what's the msrp on the 8000? i assume the theory that the first few inches only does cutting only applies to standard blades since clippings getting mulched are flying around everywhere under the deck.

Magna-Matic
06-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Here is the website info of the MAG-8000

http://www.magna-matic.com/sharpeners/mag8000/index.html

Thank you,

Acute Cut
07-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Mike, i think that you are partially correct. I think the upper part RE-cuts but really doesnt do much initial cutting. It is nice to keep it sharp as well.

My issue is that when you FIRST buy a mulch blade the first "wave" if you will on the slant upper corner seems much higher that we are doing ourselves. For example the blades shown above has a nice gentle slope to it. There must be some reason they created the inital high slope. Just a thought though.

ProMo
07-03-2004, 09:47 AM
I sharpen my curved blades on a lesco grinder with no problem, for the raised part I stick two knuckles under the blade to tilt it and get the same angle thats on it then lay it flat for the edge and angle the blade to sharpen the sloped part

Racer99
07-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Does these machines have a guide so that you maintain that perfect cutting edge. I've tried to view the pics, but it not real clear to me. I believe they cut at a 30 degree angel?

Thanks,

Racer

Magna-Matic
07-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Hello,

Yes, the relationship of the work table and the position of the wheel provide the proper cutting angle of 30 degrees.

When you lower the grinding wheel to where you are almost grinding the plastic work table - that is your reference point of a 30 degree cut. As the wheel wears, just keep lowering the wheel with the crank on the top of the machine to the point of almost grinding the work table and you will maintain the proper angle on your blades.

If a more shallow angle is desired, raise the wheel up, if a steeper angle is desired you will have to grind into the plastic work table - giving yourself a new angle reference point.

Magna-Matic is the ONLY sharpener mfg to offer an angle refernece point so that you KNOW what angle you are producing. All the others move the grinding wheel up and down - which does not allow you to ever KNOW what angle you are sharpening - you can only ever match what was there before - which may or may not be correct.

Thank you,

Racer99
07-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Appreciate your quick reply and you cleared things up...I'm only a homeowner, and i use a bench grinder for my blades, until i came across your blade sharpening machine. I get confused as to whether to look at your 8000 or the 9000. I use both hi-lift and mulch baldes. I'm getting really interested in your product.

Racer

Magna-Matic
07-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Hello,

Do your "mulching" blads have bends in the cutting edge, or are they wavy? If so .. then the MAG-8000 is required to do those blades.

If the blades have flat straight cutting edges the MAG-9000 will take care of them just fine.

Thank you,