PDA

View Full Version : deadbeat customers

peteloare
10-20-2000, 06:33 PM
Can any tell me if there is any place on the web where we can obtain and post information about deadbeat customers? I am from Michigan.

jaclawn
10-20-2000, 07:18 PM
Good idea. Start up a website where contractors could post the names of deadbeats. Might be a little slander issue, but nothing that a good slimy attorney couldn't wiggle around.

The ones that are late payers get a coupon that states the following.

In an effort to get you to settle your account in a timely manner, we are offering you an incentive to pay in the next 5 days. If we recieve your payment in the next 5 days, we will give you a complimentary application of Glyphosate. Glyhosate is an herbicide that will reduce the number of weeds in your lawn. Please sign on the dotted line.

YES! I'd like an application of Glyphosate on my lawn._____________________.

I only wish that I could send this out to some customers. I didn't lie, it will reduce the number of weeds in your lawn!
Sad thing is, probally most everyone would go for it.

Skookum
10-21-2000, 03:45 AM
I have a dead beat realitive that screwd up some data at a university. If you type in her name like a website, it comes up! The university is sponsoring the site. I guess it tells how bad she is at research and not to ever hire her for such.

Sounds like a future million dollar idea for the web and some webmaster. AOL, Amazon, they all started small.

NeilG
10-22-2000, 03:02 PM
Hey, I would just like to know how to report them to a major credit reporting agency. At least it would be on record that they were deadbeats.

turfguy
11-19-2000, 08:47 PM
I WOULD LOVE TO WRITE "THIS NO GOOD M%&*(*&^^%*@ WONT PAY HIS BILL ON TIME" WITH ROUNDUP ON THERE FRONT LAWN. BUT INSTEAD I JUST KEEP SENDING OUT THE BILLS AND WAITING. SEEMS KINDA FUNNY WHEN THE CHECK SHOWS UP THREE MONTHS LATE AND IS FOR ONLY HALF THE INVOICE AMOUNT.SURE DO WISH GMAC WOULD DO THAT FOR ME!!!

bob
11-19-2000, 09:27 PM
Tell him that your going to turn it over to a collection agency. That usually works for me.

MOW ED
11-20-2000, 06:21 AM
Also add interest on the balance.

Gabe's
12-14-2000, 09:24 PM
Hello all,
I have tinkered with the idea on how to or what can I do to retrieve monies owed to individuals or companies and have started tinkering with some ideas with my lawer's advice. I have had good dealings with individuals in retrieving monies for a fee. I have considered doing it just for contractors in the lawn industry since I was a Lawn maintenace Company at one time and know first hand how upsetting it can be to feel abused for your services. Any questions Please feel free to call Gabe at 1(203)-934-5972

bobbygedd
12-18-2000, 10:42 AM
my name is bobby, i too have had to deal with dead beat customers. why do people believe i should bust my a** on their peroperty, and they dont have to pay?the only advice my lawyer gave was to file a criminal complaint against them for theft, and let a judge rule. unfortunately, that takes alot of time that i dont have.i wish there were a blacklist where we could find out in advance who these people are, im sure they have beat others in the past

Barkleymut
12-18-2000, 11:29 PM
I've found going to their home and confronting them in a professional manner works. A lot of folks won't answer the door, so just take your cell phone and call while you are on their front porch. If they still don't answer because they have caller ID then just say that you saw their car in the driveway and you just want to speak with them. Most people hate confrontation and as long as you do it professionally you will generally end up with cash right then. Letters do very little in my experience.

kutnkru
01-08-2001, 01:33 AM
I try to be courteous and professional even though the customer is not. If we cannot reach them by telephone we too will stop by in hopes of recovering lost wages. Then we start adding $5 or 2% per month.

If this too doesnt work, most driveways we can pull into and by parking in the middle they have to confront us before leaving for work. Anything after say 650am and before 8pm always sounded like fair game to me. Of course it seems to net a 60/40 return in about 30 days.

Hope this helps.
Kris

mmorgan
01-15-2001, 10:56 PM
I have had a few deadbeat customers. After pointless letters and invoices with late fees, I decided to hire a collections lawyer. This is the advice that he gave me.
For all customers do this: Have them sign a standard form which details your payment policy, late fees, interest, etc.
Most importantly, this form states that if collection services or legal action is required, they are responsible for paying ALL fees.
This will hold up in court. If customers question signing such a form, your reply is "If I did not think you would pay me, I would not be here. This is just a document that sets the record straight before any business is to take place".
If they don't sign, you don't want them to be a future dead beat customer. If they have no porblems signing, then they should not have any problems paying. If they do, however, your signed document will protect you and you will be paid.
I am not a lawyer, but this is the advise of the collections lawyer that I hired just weeks ago. Another bit of advise, collection lawyers are much more effective than collection services.