PDA

View Full Version : Propane weed burners

Olylawnboy
11-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Any of you use propane weed burners? I've use them on sidewalks and curbs for two years now as apposed to chem, yes I'm licenced, and today tested it on quackgrass in turf. Won't know how effective it is yet but will let you all know as soon as I can.

olderthandirt
11-07-2003, 12:39 AM
Not on weeds, but they can light wood thats been in water like it was dry kindling soaked in kerosene.

Mac

Olylawnboy
11-07-2003, 12:48 AM
Sorry, I don't get it?

olderthandirt
11-07-2003, 12:50 AM
used one when we were camping to lite fire after 3 days of rain, wood was soaked and it worked great.

Olylawnboy
11-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Sorry, I guess I'm not being clear hear. I'm using a small hand held unit that uses a small cylinder like a Coleman lanterrn and a torch the size of a small butane/propane torch. will post a pic of it tomorrow if I can figure out how :) I burnt the center of the cluster,so to say, of the quackgrass as apposed to treating it with the whick applicator for round-up or such chem, what else can you do with quack in turf? Like I said this is just a test. I have a couple of acres riddeled with quack that I need to get rid of and hope this might work. What do you think?

olderthandirt
11-07-2003, 01:37 AM
yea the one we used was hand held too, we hooked it up to 20# cylinder, torch head was about4 ft. long and could shoot a flame like a flame thrower I think it was designed as an asphault melter. LOL just messen wirh ya

Mac

Olylawnboy
11-07-2003, 02:05 AM
Ha Ha, thaks for messen with me, it's sure later for you than it is for me:) I'm sure I know the unit your talking about, flame on! :) But really, I'm hope this thing works, like I said, just testing it on quack. Seems it could work at least as well as chem, time will tell. Just wondering if anyone else may have at least tried this. Oh, and I also have a 20# bottle but I would have to put it on wheels to make it the least bit pratical:) should it all work out. Later.......

olderthandirt
11-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Gotta kill them roots. I don't think burning gonna help much. Around here when I clean my burn pile up thats the first place with new weeds JMO

Mac

GroundKprs
11-08-2003, 11:45 AM
"Gotta kill them roots." Amen!

Flames will not translocate to roots and underground stems. Some wicking chemical apps will. Burning is not an effective grassy weed control. Fire can kill off a forest, but will never hurt a prairie long term.

trying 2b organic
11-08-2003, 03:36 PM
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=525

guys is this the tool we are talking about? ty for post i was very anxious to know if these work. i only have one first hand report so far and it wasnt too positive. i really want it to work cause i would love to buy and use it for my pesticide-free props. alternatives to the heat kill is Horticultural Vinegar. you can spray it on driveways and i was thinking about putting it in a weedstick and wiping it on broadleafs in turf. comments, opinions?

I know Horticultural Vinegar is 20 % acid whereas household vinegar is 5 % and this makes the difference. Also i have read that it works better if applied on a sunny day. Will I have the same problem with the roots not dying. Can i just treat again? Also have u seen the infra-red weeder with a poker instead of a flat bottom that you poke well into the roots so it kills roots too.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=526

Dchall_San_Antonio
11-12-2003, 02:28 PM
That looks like a slick tool. I'm not sure how it alters the laws of physics to keep heat from rising, but that probably has no bearing on how well it works.

Around here they use a similar tool called a "pear burner" to burn the spines off of prickly pear cactus. The reach is long enough that you can reach the plant from inside the truck or on a horse if you're not carrying too much gas. Once the spines are off it, the cattle eat it right down.

20% vinegar can be used again and again. If you use it correctly as a foliar spray, it will not directly kill the roots. The near instantaneous loss of a crown may kill the roots on some plants and weeds. It works best on hot sunny days. Be very careful to keep it out of your eyes.