PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

JBNTX
11-07-2003, 06:31 AM
HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO HAVE INSURANCE WHEN YOU FIRST START OUT.

twins_lawn_care
11-07-2003, 09:19 AM
THE MOST IMPORTANT TIME!

Not that any other time is less important, but if you just start out with no insurance, and have a large accident, it could cost you a fortune, from which you may never recover the losses.

We just started in business this year, and I was just in a bad accident with our vehicle and equipment. Fortunately, we had insurance! If we did not have insurance, and even though the accident was completely none of our fault, we could be held liable, and stand to lose all we had invested, and more.

I apologize for being so stressful on this, but I believe people will agree. Sure you can get by without it, but when something happens, don't come crying. This is your chance to do it right, and making the right decisions comes from common sense, maturity, and experience.

My vote is to get insurance and get licensed before you plan to do any work, it will only help you in the long run!

Good luck with the biz!

Rob

newleaflandscape
11-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Dont even think about not getting insurance. If you cant afford to pay for the insurance in your first year of business when you dont have that much into your budget, you should not be in business. I would rather cancel anything but the insurance. And if you plan on being a professional company you have to get it. I would say more then fifty percent of my customers ask if I am insured. Dont be stupid

TJLC
11-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by newleaflandscape
Dont even think about not getting insurance. If you cant afford to pay for the insurance in your first year of business when you dont have that much into your budget, you should not be in business. I would rather cancel anything but the insurance. And if you plan on being a professional company you have to get it. I would say more then fifty percent of my customers ask if I am insured. Dont be stupid

YES, YES,YES. This is ONE of the things that seperate the scrubs from the professionals, IMHO.

JBNTX
11-08-2003, 01:03 AM
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE ON INSURANCE. ROB, YOU SAID GET A LICENSE. IN TEXAS THEY HAVE THIS COURSE YOU CAN TAKE TO BECOME A CERTIFIED LANDSCAPE TECHNICIAN I FOUND THIS AT WWW.TNLA.ORG IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

ladylawncare
11-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Hey JBNTX Justa thought the web address you gave for texas
is actually for the stat of tennesse(sp) Wont' help alot here
In Texas you will need a structual pest license for each catagory
you make application in for example lawn& ornamental and weeds are three seperate areas. To apply fertilizer and mow you do not need a license but can take a test and become a certified landscape contractor and will need to take continuing ed classes for all of these Structural Pest COntrol Board is in Austin I';m sure they have a web page.. And to get a commercial license you must provide proof of Insurance.

JBNTX
11-08-2003, 08:33 AM
THANKS LADYLAWNCARE I MENT WWW.TXNLA.ORG I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION.
STRUCTUAL PEST LICENSE I'LL DO SOME RESERCH.

Rustic Goat
11-09-2003, 03:13 AM
It doesn't matter how long you've been in business or if it's your first day, GET INSURANCE.
The cost of an accident (which is why you have insurance) has the potential of wiping you out financially, it can even do so for years.

Signature Services
11-10-2003, 04:44 PM
I think what Rob was also telling you is to get a business license from the community in which you will be working. Usually that's a very nominal fee.

hustler1
11-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Hey Newleaflandscape.....what kind of license do we need in Michigan? And approx how much is insurance? Any suggestions for which company to use for a one man operation? Thanks much.. Glenn