PDA

View Full Version : Can I disconnect safety feature on JD GX325?

allstar
11-07-2003, 07:04 AM
I have a John Deere GX325 which I really like and is great for small to medium-sized properties.It has a safety feature,though,that I just can't stand.It has a large square button that you lift up to engage the blade;when backing up you have to lift up on it a little more or else the blade shuts off.It's not quite that simple,however.If you don't do it just right or if you come to a stop then continue back the slightest bit and forget to lift up on the button,etc.,etc., etc the blade shuts off.It's just a hassle and slows me down.
Would it be illegal for me to have someone disconnect this feature?Could it be done?I realize it's a safety feature but don't see how it makes that much of a difference,especially for someone who does this for a living and is used to operating these mowers.

rockstate
11-09-2003, 05:53 PM
im sure it can be done somehow although it will probably void your warranty. I have an LX 279 with the same thing, it annoys the hell out of me

kansas_turf_man
11-13-2003, 12:15 PM
If your the only one using it go ahead and disconnect it, but don't put and employee on the machine. If they would happen to get hurt your insurance won't cover it and you could be looking at a hefty medical lawsuit.

prolawnguy
03-13-2004, 10:14 AM
I have an X585 I cut a small piece of hose because that is all I had at the time and wedged it under the button. It works great for me!. But I am not telling you or anyone to try this yourself because I am sure they added that feature for a reason. I am just telling you what I did.

allstar
03-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Prolawn,
If I lift up that square buton as far as it will go,then wedge something underneath it so that it can't go back down,the blade will remain engaged?I realize it's a safety feature so I won't allow anyone else to do this but me.I just worry that it might damage the mower in some way.It sounds like a good idea.Thanks.

Nconn
03-22-2004, 05:01 PM
I just got a 495 and haven't used it for mowing yet, I think the reason they added this was that someone might get backed over and chewed up :confused: At least it sounds like a good reason but you shouldn't have anyone near you anyways, and is it worth the hassle is the question?

allstar
03-24-2004, 09:13 AM
That's definitely the reason JD added this feature but experienced operators,who use these machines on a regular basis,don't need it,IMO.I'm very big on safety and am constantly on the lookout for children,pets,etc. when I'm mowing.
This safety feature doesn't bother me as much now as it did when I first purchased the mower so I'm just gonna live with it.

DLCS
03-25-2004, 09:40 PM
I bought a 325 a couple of years ago and it had that safety switch. Your right you get used to it but what a pain. I was told that the reason JD installed that was a guy ran over his son while he was mowing. The real kicker was that the guy was a doctor and was drinking while mowing. He didn't realize his son was behind him and backed over him. Guess what, he sued John Deere over it.

allstar
03-27-2004, 08:22 AM
I also own a smaller JD LT150.This tractor has a safety feature,too, but with this machine you just press a button when backing up with the blade engaged.If you don't press the button the mower chokes down.I like this ALOT better because the blade doesn't shut off.Alot of times with my GX 325 the blade disengages but I don't realize it right away, and I end up having to go back over the grass that I missed.

fixer67
05-01-2004, 10:58 PM
I work in a small engine shop so let me give you some warning here. There are N.O. (nominally open) and N.C. (nominally closed) circuits in the safety switch system. If you get the two crossed you can feed 12 volts back in to you ignition and burn out your magneto. I see it done all the time. Simply cutting all the wires or twisting them all together is not the way to go. Just thought i would give you a little warning.

allstar
05-03-2004, 05:19 AM
Thanks.I've decided to just deal with it.It's still somewhat of a hassle but not that much anymore.