PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing

Collegiate
11-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Is there a special fertilizer that most businesses go with over another?
And can you buy this in bulk? How much do you generally pay out for this?
Any help is appreciated!

twins_lawn_care
11-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Hey Collegiate,
We've just been getting into the fertilizer, and the best thing to do is go out to some suppliers/nurseries and talk to people.
Do a lot of research first, so you can go in with some good questions. The main issue with fertilizers, as I have taken it (Please correct me if I am wrong here guys) is the N-P-K content, or the three big numbers on the bag as people say. They each have specific traits, and depending on what you are doing, you'll want to match the content of each one to what you are trying to do. The big thing to do though, is research, and ask questions. I have talked to the Lesco guys, who have been helpful, but ended up at a local nursery buying products because they will get me a better price on basically the same product.
Hope this helps you out. Also, you may want to post this in teh fertilizer section to get more replies, but definitely do a search to help you get started.
Also, make sure you get licensed for what you intend on doing if required in your state.
Good luck, hope this helps some.
Rob

Collegiate
11-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks twin-lawn-care... I will ask around.
Ben

TJLC
11-07-2003, 06:29 PM
In my area, Lesco seems to be the #1 choice. I use their products with their spreader so it's easy to calculate the setting. As far as price, it's depends on how much and what you buy from them. Good luck.

gwwilson
11-08-2003, 12:54 AM
mill pricing, i purchase it by the in 50# bag
bag cost $5.36 for 20-10-10 or starter fert $4.55 for 5-10-10
lesco man says they can't touch this price. however,
19-3-7 $15.65

VMAX
11-11-2003, 07:21 PM
i go the mill to get mine too.$7.05 for 50#bag,just bought a skid about a ton for around $300.00

gwwilson
11-11-2003, 08:30 PM
my ton prices at the mill are:
20-10-10 = $214 / ton 5-10-10 = $ 178 /ton
10-10-10 = $ 198 /ton

Collegiate
11-12-2003, 07:58 AM
When you refer to "mill", where are most located? Are you talking about a farm store or country store?
Thank you all the replies!

gwwilson
11-12-2003, 08:51 AM
ben jones
"Mill" is store were farmers sell to or purchase grain
i buy corn meal at clover leaf mill, they charge me $207/ ton
check out yellow pages: fertilizers-retail, feed dealers

bayfish
11-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Best time to sell your fertilization programs is in the spring. Always start with telling customers that you would like to have a soil sample done. If there is a Lesco in your area thay can send it off for you. Review the analysis with your clients and Lesco and set up a program. Lesco can help you figure your cost per thousand sq. ft. You need to know that in order to give estimates. Soil sample results will also tell you other things about the lawns condition that can mean more money for you too. Good luck.

gwwilson
11-14-2003, 02:30 AM
look under yellow pages --- fertilizer-retail, feed dealers
sells Penn State Soil Analysis for $6.00

olderthandirt
11-14-2003, 02:44 AM
I'M gonna catch hel* for this but I just gotta say it. I can't make enough$$ to justify doing it myself, so I went to [I can hear it now] Chemlawn and worked a good deal with them. They give all my clients that sign up with them a special discount becoase of the referal and they don't need to sell there product or measure property I call them tell size prop what it needs and they put it down. client pays chemlawn and chemlawn takes resposability. In return for me selling there service they have given me many free applications on new installs. All I can say is it works for me.

Mac