PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Silverado 1500 or 1998 Silverado 3500 Dually

CoachLinz
11-07-2003, 01:20 PM
I had asked about the 3500 in another thread. I got a chance to drive it and it is a very nice truck. Ext. cab, 4x4, long bed, dually, loaded w/ 66K miles on it for 15,900. It has the 5.7L (350) engine.

However, yesterday I was offered a 2000 Silverado 1500 - ext cab, 4x4, short bed, few options but only 17K miles on it for 16,500. It has the 5.3L engine.

I know these are two very different trucks but which would you buy? It will be my only vehicle for both personal and business use. Doing lawn care part-time with about 10 lawns a week plus doing mulch and other landscaping as well. I work out of the truck bed - no trailer as I have no place to park one.

I've been doing research all day, and I'm seeing some discouraging reviews of the 1500 in regards to the brakes, transmission, and suspension. Seems to be about a 50/50 split between good and bad reviews. Have seen very little bad about the 3500.

What do you think? I need to make a decision on these somewhat quickly.

pottstim
11-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Coach,
It's too bad that couldn't purchase both of the trucks. Then you would have the best of both worlds. With you working strictly out of the truck bed, I would have serious reservations about buying the 1/2 ton. Hauling mulch, mowers, etc. is going to take a toll on those light duty springs, axle, and the transmission. I hauled 2 yards of mulch in my old truck which was a 2000 Silverado C1500. It squatted the truck quite a bit, probably 4 inches or so. I've got a 2002 K1500 now, and when I haul mulch or topsoil, I use my trailer. It's much easier on the truck's suspension, but the engine and tranny still get a workout. The only downside I can see by you getting the 3500 would be gas mileage and manuverability. With the 3500, you will have the suspension, HD transmission, heavier frame, and stronger brakes to tackle the tough jobs. Plus, you will have a long bed with the 3500. That's something that you won't get with the 1500 you are looking at. Extra bed space means a lot. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Randy J
11-07-2003, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure you'd see a huge difference in mileage, though I really don't know. Most of these new engines seem to do pretty well regardless - except for the V10's, they're real hogs on the gas. If you intend to use if for work, I'd recommend the 3500. The 1/2 ton you're looking at really isn't a work truck. It's for someone that occassionally needs to haul some boards, or wants to pull a small boat, or something like that. The 3500 will ride rougher, especially unloaded, but it's going to handle the work much better. Plus you'll have the added "cool" feature - duallys are way cool:)

Randy

pottstim
11-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Coach,
Randy is 100% right. I forgot to mention something about gas mileage in my previous post. My folks have a 2001 Silverado 1500 Ext cab short bed. It has the 5.3 V8 with 3.42 gears, and it will get around 21 mpg on the highway. I am not sure what city mileage is, but I feel it does pretty darn good for a full-size V8 truck.

1st Class Lawns
11-07-2003, 10:10 PM
I have a 1999 (1500) Chevrolet pickup with a 5.3 engine and a towing package. I pull a 52" Z and a 52" walk-behind as well as other tools. It has almost 59000 miles on the original (4 wheel) disc brakes and at the rate of wear I will probably get another 15 or 20 K mile before needing brakes. My tire man told me the next set of pads will not get that kind of mileage.
The engine is great. No problems at all.
The cool thing to do would be to buy a 3/4 ton or larger but I really don't need it.
I plan to buy a Suburban next year but I will keep this pickup for my work.
James
1st Class Lawn Service

CoachLinz
11-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Well, I test drove the 1500 this afternoon. It wasn't a bad truck. Still not sure about the short bed, but, as it turns out, this one was a 1500 HD. That at least gives a little better hauling capability. Plus, the Heavy Duty chassis package gives you 3.73 gears and posi rear. Still not sure though. One big advantage to it is the low mileage and the fact that it is still under factory warranty until May, 2004.

I just found a dealer about an hour away that has a 1998 C2500. I think I will try to go look at that one tomorrow before making a decision.

I agree with you guys about the 1/2 ton vs. 1 ton reasoning, but I am having a little difficulty justifying the 50K additional miles on the 3500.

GLS
11-09-2003, 11:16 PM
CoachLinz - what is the gvwr of the "1500hd"? I'm not sure what you mean by heavy duty, because gm made a 1500hd crewcab that was really a 3/4 ton truck - 8600gvw (in fact, they renamed the 1500hd to 2500). If it has the 5.3, then it's not the one i'm thinking of, because they have 6.0L.

I personally would go with a 3/4 ton or higher. But, your needs may be different then mine. If you are only going to be hauling a couple of walk behinds, then a half ton will do just fine. But, if you plan on expanding, you will regret not getting a heavier duty truck. And, it's nice to have the power/payload/tow capacity when you need it.

Let us know what you decide upon:)