PDA

View Full Version : need help with business name

firedog2710
11-08-2003, 12:29 AM
i already did a search within this topic and i couldn't find anything to help. as some of you already know and may have gathered from my username, i'm a full-time firefighter. i need a name for my new venture and i thought i'd use that as a hook to get people interested. my wife and i thought of "OFF-DUTY LAWN CARE". i announced it to the boys at the firehouse and i was informed that another firefighter, who retired about 6 yrs. ago, used that as his business name. they also told me that he merged with another lawn care business a few years ago and took it's name. i've looked in all the phone books around here and even called information and that particular lawn business name is not listed anywhere. i will contact him, but i haven't found anyone that has his number yet. i will continue to try. in the event that he doesn't want me using that name, i need a backup. please help.:cry:

Metro Lawn
11-09-2003, 09:15 AM
I am not sure if things are the same way where you are or not. Here, you have to register a D.B.A. ( Doing Business As ) with the county. When you go there, they have all the registered business names in a book. You can look through it to see if your name is taken. Our registrations last for 5 years. Even if the person that registered the name isn't using it, they won't let you have it until it expires. You can sometimes sneak one by if you change something a bit. Like with us. We are Metro Detroit Lanscaping as well as Metro Lawn Service. There are also Metro Lawn Maintenance, Metro Lawn Spray, and Metro Landscaping registered in our county. Seems if you change the wording a bit, they will take it. If your name is taken, you can try this as well. Off-Duty Lawn Maintenance or Off-Duty Grounds Maintenance ect.

Let it Grow
11-09-2003, 12:27 PM
You may want to rethink your name. It sounds like your lawn business is something you just do in your spare time. To me it just doesn't sound very proffessional. That's just me though.

firedog2710
11-09-2003, 05:17 PM
i think i may have found a solution to my problem and once again my wife came to the rescue. i'm going to call it "SCOTT'S OFF DUTY LAWN CARE". my middle name is scott and that's what everyone calls me, so that's what i'm going with. in missouri you have to register a business name using other than your own name as a fictitous name and i found out that they don't do a name search. you're left up to luck here.
let it grow: because i am a firefighter in my full time job, i am doing this in my spare time, but that also means i don't have to do it. i chose to do it because i enjoy mowing grass and working outside, therefore, my work will speak for itself. the money i've put into it, i already had, so i have no need to hurry and take as many lawns as i can to pay off any loans. i'm actually in a very good position as i see it. hopefully, i will make a little money.
thank you both for your help.:D

Let it Grow
11-09-2003, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't have my personal name in my business name...to me it sounds unproffessional. But that's just me. One of the biggest lco's in my area is named "Bob's Yard Care".

I was actually going to ask you a few questions about how you will juggle both jobs. I have thought about getting into firefighting. (Maybe part time as my landscaping business keeps me quite busy.) I also thought of maybe doing firefighting in the winter time. Any advice, suggestions, ideas?

If your business name works for you then go with it. I'm real picky when it comes to this kind of thing...I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just giving my opinion.

firedog2710
11-09-2003, 06:17 PM
don't take anything i said the wrong way, i DO appreciate any constructive criticism or advice. is there any other reason why (besides the unprofessional aspect) you wouldn't use your own name? juggling both jobs is easy. as a firefighter i work 24 hour shifts, but only nine days a month. a rotation goes like this: day on-day off-day on-day off-day on-four days off then it starts all over again. as you can see, this leaves me plenty of time for a part-time job or to mow lawns. there aren't many part-time firefighters that i know about anywhere in the country except the volunteer, but as the term states they don't get paid, but most volunteer departments that have full-time staff do hire new firefighters out of the volunteer pool. where i used to volunteer, we would get paid $5 per call once we responded which ended up being about $200-$300 paid out twice a year. if the whole name thing doesn't work out, i'll just change it. :drinkup:

Let it Grow
11-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the firefighting info!

When I hear names like Bob's Yard Care, Joe's Lawn Service, Bill's Landscaping, etc. I think of rusted out pickup trucks pulling homemade trailers, with homeowner grade lawnmowers on it. If I were a customer, I would not expect much out of these businesses.

Then you have names like Wildwood Landscapes, Clean Cut Lawn Care (My beloved name!!!), Green Valley Nursery, American Lawn & Landscape.

If I were a potential customer I would call any one of the names on my second list before I would call one on my first list. First impressions are VERY important in business, and in this business you need any edge you can get. That is why I would be very careful with what I name my business.

There are plenty of names out there, just be creative!

gumball1
11-25-2003, 09:29 PM
firedog what area of STl are you in, I'm in Creve Coeur,Yes there was an OFF-duty lawn care here I always thought the name was weird(off-duty means not working ,so not really cutting lawns?)sounds a bit unreliable. No offense just my thoughts on the name not your or anyone else's work ethic.

firedog2710
11-26-2003, 07:08 AM
i live in fenton. right now i'm toying with idea of putting my first name in it somewhere and leaving the firefighter aspect out of it. my salesman asked me about a name and i told him about my idea for "off-duty". he thought it was a great idea and told me the guy who used it a long time ago had a booming business.

Nw. Shadesofgreen
11-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Just an idea to go along with the Fireman theme.
I know that fireman have a great schedule to work that gives them alot of time to do work when they are off there regular job.
I would suppose that this will just be a job that will be done in your off days and not a full time ?quit the fireman gig.

How about something like

On the spot lawncare.

Maybe you could us a dalmation in your logo somewhere.

Good luck to you.
Mike
NW. Shades of Green

firedog2710
12-04-2003, 12:19 PM
now i'm considering throwing out any fire-related words in my name at all and just hanging a fire helmet on the 's' in scott's and putting a short tagline underneath the name on my magnetic sign and on my business cards.

Mowing Mike
12-04-2003, 10:46 PM
firedog, The best way I know to see if someone has the name "off duty lawn care" is to go to the register of deeds in your area and see if it is a registered name. If not then you can register it and work under that name. That was the first thing i did when i started. Then you have a legal claim to the name.

Mike

tom_king_indy
12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Firedog. If you like the firefighter idea. What about Code Red Lawn Service use a fire hydrant as icon. Fineline lawns. Firedog Landscaping use a dalmation as icon. Backdraft Mowing use a fame as icon. What ever you do if you want people to remember you you need a 2 sylable name max and a icon that people will identify with your business. Something that is crisp and clear and think about where you name and logo will appear. It will not only be on your business card but on your truck. on your t-shirts on your polo shirts etc. Check with your local sign shop and screen printers and ask how well they can reproduce your logo. You may want to stay small but you always want to look as good as Pepsi or Mcdonalds. My advice go with the Firefighter idea. My brother in law is a brother he has been on the job for 12 years. I know that being a fire fighter is part of who he is at the core as I am sure it is for you. Use that. You are trusted person in the community and you should use that to work for yourself. Bottom line people want quality service and trustworthy individuals. PS I agree using your name looks bush league. Plus you can't sell your business should you decide to at a later date.

drains
12-05-2003, 10:41 PM
How about:

911 Lawn Service

firedog2710
12-06-2003, 08:57 AM
not bad. i'll think about it.

Gabe
12-06-2003, 11:02 AM
My Dad is a FireFighter and I know severl friends of his that run a lawn buisness on their off days. I also think you should stick with a suddle fire-fighter logo or something that tells your costomers "hey I'm a fire-fighter" because surveys show that firemen are the most trusted people in a community. More so than police officers even.
My dad does remodeling and general carpentry on his off days and many of his customers say that they only want a fire-fighter to do work for them! That's an impressive reputation that I think you should make work for you! You're one of the most trusted individuals in the community and it's no doubt that you will live up to the reputation so go for it!

Team Gopher
12-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Here is a logo that was made for a firefighter who runs an LCO. Maybe it will inspire some ideas. Click image for link.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/uploads/post-1-06417-mcs_8.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=434;st=10)

firedog2710
12-07-2003, 12:13 AM
guys, thanks for all the encouragement. i really appreciate it. i still haven't settled on a name yet, so please keep it up.:D

firekilr2
12-28-2003, 03:59 PM
Dear scott,
Remember when naming your business it is not a good idea to use your name. If you ever sell your business you need a name that is marketable. I am a full time firefighter also and used the name of the river in town. ( Kishwaukee Landscaping Inc. ) This name is well known in the area and could be taken over by any buyer in the future. Good luck. I had my last name for two years and it worked, but my new name is better for the future.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-29-2003, 02:01 PM
I would actually lean the other way toward your personal name it lets the customers think they know you its a warmer feel then imperial or county landscaping. Regional Landscaping Authority probably would be funny but I donít think most people would go for it 2 schools of thought a gimmick name or a personal name Jiffy lube, Quickie mart they are gimmick names Sears, Ford, McDonalds thatís the name of the founder id argue both can work.

lockemn
01-16-2004, 08:08 PM
i also need some help with a name for my lawn care buisness. My last name is Barber so i was tryin to throw that in there somewhere (maybe). So far the only thing i can think of is Barber's Lawn Cuts but you guys seem to be much more creative with this
Help me out please

firekilr2
01-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Name=Barber shop lawn care. Slogan = "Where you get a great cut every time" Use the red and white barber pole as your symbol.

firedog2710
03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
well everyone, it's official. i've already printed business cards and flyers. my new name is "CODE 3 LAWN CARE" and i even have a slogan. my wife came up with "you trust me with your life...trust me with your lawn." pretty cool, huh. btw, thank you to everyone for your help.

lawnmore
03-06-2004, 09:04 AM
id like to hear opinions about my business name.... LAWN more, residential lawn care and handyman services...i added the handy man end of it to help keep from getting bored and keep busy in the winter